Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Equipment

Portable heater

(1/3) > >>

wsb_bwhntr:
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a little heater soon.  I'm getting a Frabill Venture and want something to keep it warm without being huge.  I know some of the heaters advertise that you can also cook on them.  Are they just talking about a pot on top of the element or cooking directly on the wires.  Seems kinda messy.  Anyways just looking for some input as to which portable heaters are lightweight, run good and reliably, and put out enough heat.  Also does anyone have any input on heaters with electronic ignition versus without.  How long does the ignition work? (i.e. is it like all gas grills that work for 2 months and then you have to replace the igniter).

thanks,
bill

p.s. I did just get the Coleman Sportvat for xmas, but think I'm going to need something a little higher up the food chain:}

kenelz:
I have an old Zebco propane heater, its a 10,000Btu heater, I used it in a large tent when camping during deer season, I tried it in the ice shanty, way too hot! I then used a coleman lantern, then went to a coleman one burner gas stove, which puts out heat and is great to cook on, but does have some fumes.
This year I bought a Coleman sport cat, I set up the shanty in the yard on a cold day, fired up the heater and went into the house. I came out a half hour later, and the inside of the shanty was as cold as the outside. I took it back and bought the Blackcat. Ive been out about everyday, and its does fine, but, it really hasnt been that cold yet. I still take the one burner stove, and use it for cooking and boiling water for coffee/tea/hot chocalot. If I only had one to take, I would opt for the stove, it takes up very little room, and is veritile. I take extra gas in an emty one quart oil bottle.

wsb_bwhntr:
Thanks Kenelz,

That's the kind of info I'm looking for.  I've been looking at the Blackcat too, but was unsure of how good the electronic ignition works.  Basically is it reliable and worth the extra bucks.  Does anyone out there know the BTU's on the different colemans and how they compare to the Buddy Heater?

Thanks,
bill

kenelz:
The sportcat is 1,000 Btus, the Blackcat is 3,000 Btus. Mine doesnt have the electronic ignition, so I cant help you there, but, it only takes one match to light. The Buddy heater is real popular, but is about twice the price of the cat and I'm not sure of the btus of it.

Fish247:
I have a heater buddy and it works great.  The low setting puts out 4000 btus and the high setting 9 or 10,000 btus(I forget).  I rarely use the high setting though.  The electronic ignition works great.  I even dropped it down the stairs and it still ignites like a charm.  In my opinion it's a good buy.

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version