Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

Pros & Cons of Strikemaster Mag 2000

(1/2) > >>

Icenutter:
I can pick up a new Strikemaster Mag 2000 for 219.99.  I was wondering if anyone has any complaints or good things to say about the Mag.  How does the chipper blade cut?  A good winter around here is 8 to 12 inches.  I see no reason spending another 80.00 bucks on a Jiffy with the same motor, but different blades that I would assume cut the same as the Mag.  Any suggestions appreciated.  thanks  

LoneWolf:
I used the Mag III(older Mag 2000) for many years with no complaints. If I hadn't injured my back I would still have it. I went to a lighter weight model auger(NillsMaster). The Mag isn't the fastest or lightest auger out there but with a little maintenance it started and performed every year. I think I had it for 8 years and only replaced the pull cord recoil ! My buddy has it now and he loves it. Also when I say it isn't the fastest we are only talking a second or two going thru a foot of ice.

crappie_attitude:
The Mag 2000 is adequate for most ice 16" or less.  Sure, some augers are faster and more powerful than the 2000 but honestly how fast do you really need to cut thru the ice?  I can cut thru 15" here in PA with my Mag 2000 chipper in around 10 seconds.  Multiply that times 5 holes for a total cut time of 50 seconds.  Sure, with a 3h.p. with lazer blades you could cut each hole in 4-5 seconds, saving 25-30 seconds overall.  BIG DEAL!!  A 30 second difference isn't going to determine whether or not I'm going to fish....for that matter, what's another 30 seconds of sitting on your butt watching your tip ups?  It's not like the action gets so fast and furious that I can't afford to spare an extra 30 seconds.  I mean who cares  As long as I don't have to drill them by hand, I'm happy.

Colt:
I split mine last year with a friend and we don't really have any problems with it.  It cuts through the ice pretty easy and is certainly better than using a hand auger for 15 inches of ice.  The blade got pretty dull and last week and my buddy sharpened it up and it cut through the ice on Oneida last week without any problems.

My only con would be the spring that pulls the throttle level back in place is a little weak and when it gets really cold it sometimes sticks a little.

Big_Mean:
I ALSO HAVE 2000 MAG WORKS GREAT. I ALSO FIND THROTTLE STICKING IN COLD. GOING TO PUT GRAFITE LUBE
ON IT. LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS BIG-MEAN

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version