Sharpen your auger blades at home!!

<< < (22/23) > >>

SirCranksalot:
ba da bump

SirCranksalot:
I have one specific question in case the OP tunes in::
"Step 4
Now we are going to hone a primary edge on the blade."

Does this mean you just use the fine stone or do you use all 3? I tried it with 1000 grit wet/dry paper since I just have a coarse/medium stone and that didn't seem to create a primary edge at all. I ask this because 'hone' usually(often?) refers to the last step with the finest stone.

If someone else has successfully used this method feel free to comment----TIA   

SirCranksalot:
anyone have an answer to this? thx

esox_xtm:
Just the fine (3rd) stone Sir. After you've removed all the original primary bevel (the very thin, steeper angle right on the edge) this step recreates a brand new one. For that you need a stone, 1000 grit paper is too fine to hardly remove anything and too floppy to maintain a perfect angle unless you glue some to a piece pf glass. Remember you don't need much of a primary edge, "about as thick as a thread" was the OPs description.

I've done this and it works. Good luck to you!

SirCranksalot:
Thx for that.

I just have a stone with 2 sides  No idea what the 'grit' of the second side might be. I might give that a try and then polish it up with 1000 grit paper. I don't see much wrong with pulling/dragging it across the paper as opposed to pushing it as the OP did across the stones.

BTW---So it's not just silly questions you answer?? ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version