Miscellaneous > Ice Fishing FAQ

Do I have everything I need?

(1/6) > >>

dmm26:
I'm brand new to ice fishing (and fishing in general), but ,I have the bug and I love to fish.
Anyway, I've searched the forum and haven't been able to come up with all the info I need, so I decided to finally post instead of lurk.

So far I have;

A 3 (really 2) man pop up
A vex fl-8 genz pack
A humminbird ice 55
A big buddy heater with the big tank hose extension
A quantum optic ice rod
I have really good boots and mitts
And I own a silverado with 4x4

I will be also be getting;
A Strikemaster 10"auger
A snow suit
A GPS
Cleats
and some ice fishing tackle

Am I missing anything important?

I've thought about a sled for everything a few times but not sure if I'll really need it or not with owning a truck.

Thoughts?

FISHFORPIKE:
You never have "enough" stuff  :P  How about a 4-wheeler?  With tracks?

jakep138:
You don't always need the best or most equipment to be a successful ice fisherman.  Start out with what your comfortable with and work your way into it. I also agree that we all feel we never have enough it's the nature of the sport as with any sport I suppose , but Don't overlook the cheap safety equipment that I feel is a necessity such as a pair of spikes to pull yourself out just in case and a rope to help someone else out. Wish you the best of luck and stay safe .
Tight lines ;D

dmm26:
Thanks!  ;D

Most of the gear I've purchased used, the auger is new in the box but I'm getting it for literally half price! And everything else,.. Well, I figure, I should really dig in and get the best if what I can afford so that ice fishing is enjoyable and fun! Cause if it's cold, miserable and boring I'll probably give it up.

hardwater diehard:
Good layering system ...polypropylene ...wool etc
safety equipment...chisel ,rope , ice picks....fishing partner
cleats ..recommend Kahtoola micro
Jet sled xl or equivalent
7 gallon bucket ..height better for your back
good bait bucket ...bait pucks
good head lamp ...Energizer 6 LED
tip downs for crappie

from your list your well on your way ...add what you can when you can

Navigation

[0] Message Index