The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: panfish bait  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
panfish bait
« on: Feb 04, 2011, 09:43 AM »
  I have been using waxies forever, and may continue. Yesterday at Lobdell, I got into tons of dink gills, and spent the day re-baiting. I have been told that spikes are more apt to last longer, don't like minnows, if I can get away with it, don't care for wiggler, to creepy, and $3 a doz. Don't know about moussies.  I always bought waxies, low maintainance,bigger bait, but I change if they get bit off too small, that is one reason I never bought spikes or mousies. What is your favorite panfish bait, why?

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: panfish bait
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Waxies have allways been the bait of choice for me until this year. I added spikes to the mix and they have saved the day now more than once. Some days spikes are all they will touch and on days when waxies work the spikes work equally well (for me)

Offline JDthree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Ive been using panfish worms with some success. Id been skunked 3 out of 4 days and decided to try something i hadn't noticed anyone else around using.  The first day i used'em i iced fish in minutes and had a decent day. Now its spotty like everything else...just that time of year

Offline Bulldog83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2011, 10:32 AM »
I've had friends that got walleye this year on waxies and I have been doing just fine with them myself!!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Plastics, don't even consider carrying live anymore. So many colors and shapes available one can imitate closely what's down there with ease, they're very durable, affordable and don't die

Offline chinewalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2011, 04:08 PM »
  I have been using waxies forever, and may continue. Yesterday at Lobdell, I got into tons of dink gills, and spent the day re-baiting. I have been told that spikes are more apt to last longer, don't like minnows, if I can get away with it, don't care for wiggler, to creepy, and $3 a doz. Don't know about moussies.  I always bought waxies, low maintainance,bigger bait, but I change if they get bit off too small, that is one reason I never bought spikes or mousies. What is your favorite panfish bait, why?
If you are in Whites Cove thats all there are is DINKS. Thats the spot to take the kids mingillin'. You must walk farther into the lake. Lobdell has nice fish. Berkely plastics always do the trick.

Offline damanfrgr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Well I guess!!!LETS DO THIS
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:10 PM »
spikes, waxys !!!! senn to always work for me, was trying plactics the other day seemed to do alright but nothing like live bait?? the plactics were blood worms long tails??? I could see alot of action before i dropped them in, just have to do alot of jigging more than usaull i thought to keep the fish interested!?
FISH:)mmm good

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:59 PM »
My favorite bait used to be corn bores but you can't find them anymore.  The colored larvae works for me.  I did play with Berkley Gulps at Simco last year and didn't notice much difference between gulps and wax worms.
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline damanfrgr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Well I guess!!!LETS DO THIS
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2011, 07:31 PM »
did good with the multi colored spikes fr knust. this yr cant beat the $$ for the amount u get bought them 1st ice and just now nned to buy bait lasted long time out 0f 250 only 16 cocooned so pretty good,well have been buying waxys but spikes been good till now!!
FISH:)mmm good

Offline waterfowler360

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2011, 07:34 PM »
scuds by far the best bait. dont last real long and are not very durable but i have never seen a bait that the fish like more

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Try the Northland 1/2" Scud Bug body on a 1/80oz fly tying jig head bent 45* down, add Pautzke Liquid Krill for smell and they almost can't help themselves. Scuds are lethal on pannies

Offline westlakeangler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • here fishy fishy
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2011, 10:00 PM »
ive always used waxies and tried butter worm little bigger have redish tint about the same durability
always looking for a fishing buddy so lets go fishing

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:09 AM »
Spikes and if your rabbit hunting or something fill your pocket with the bulbs you see on the golden rod flower....they have a little white round grub in them that can work well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.