Author Topic: --- SLED MODS ---  (Read 342039 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: --- SLED MODS ---
« Reply #390 on: Oct 27, 2019, 03:24 PM »
Finnt, is that an empty spot there?

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #391 on: Oct 27, 2019, 04:37 PM »
 nice that looks like the grinch's sled after visiting whoville!

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #392 on: Nov 18, 2019, 11:58 PM »
Anyone using the coffee table hinges and Skis, I have a question. I went with the hinges that mount on the side of the sled so that when it's lowered the tub sits on the ground.  What are you using to make reinforce the sides of your sled behind the bracket? I was thinking aluminum plates, fender washers, or wood. I want to stay as light as possible but not risk cracking or breaking the tub.

Offline SteveTheChimneySweep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #393 on: Dec 22, 2019, 12:53 PM »
Snitch, Looks good.  Nice and simple but looks like it will be effective.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #394 on: Dec 28, 2019, 03:26 PM »

Finally got mine done.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #395 on: Dec 28, 2019, 08:39 PM »
You should be able to lighten it up by losing the wood, mines 1" x 1/4" angle iron.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #396 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:13 PM »
The start of the mods to the sled.. to bad thier is no ice!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #397 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:21 PM »
very nice
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #398 on: Jan 10, 2020, 06:39 PM »
think outside the box, it's not done yet and a little top heavy, can't take corners over 10mph, lol I'm going to add rod holders and some type of foldable outrigger wheels as well as a couple eyelets for bungee or strap use to secure auger or my hub house in the future. I wanted to keep it skinny enough to fit on the back rack of my quad. #35 as it sets with gear.  tubes hold 15 tip ups, enough for me and my 2 boys.  Auger goes on front of my quad along with a empty milk crate with another bucket in it. I have a custom rack attached to the hitch of my quad to hold my schappel 4000 fish house if the weather is going to be that bad.

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #399 on: Oct 23, 2020, 03:48 PM »
Y'all have got me thinking. Was dinking around in sketchup and came up with this; may be overbuilt. Would be a fun project, though! Built on a rough model of a Jet Sled (JS1).

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #400 on: Oct 23, 2020, 05:03 PM »
Y'all have got me thinking. Was dinking around in sketchup and came up with this; may be overbuilt. Would be a fun project, though! Built on a rough model of a Jet Sled (JS1).

I like it.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #401 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:11 PM »
I went Old School last year. I'm doing it again this year on a nice day and early ice.

Just  pretend the flasher isn't there...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #402 on: Oct 23, 2020, 08:59 PM »

Nice, I thought about something like that for mine, but went this way

Holds all my stuff and my popup.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #403 on: Oct 24, 2020, 06:24 AM »
I went Old School last year. I'm doing it again this year on a nice day and early ice.
(Image removed from quote.)

I have the same sled, haven't used it in years

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #404 on: Oct 24, 2020, 12:20 PM »
I have the same sled, haven't used it in years

That a true relic right there! Looks just like the sled Fred Trost had a few years ago. It's what I based my sled on, just a little wider and taller. Thanks for sharing.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #405 on: Oct 24, 2020, 09:51 PM »

I dig it! And the old boys would have killed for a flasher, no shame there

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #406 on: Oct 25, 2020, 06:57 AM »
I dig it! And the old boys would have killed for a flasher, no shame there
Us old boys caught plenty of fish without flashers. Walked everywhere that we fished and enjoyed every minute of it. Bait for tomorrow was eyes from todays catch, two rods, two hooks, walk out to where you got fish yesterday, kick the hole open with your boot heel, wait for the fish to bite. Lots of fun. Todays a little different everyones got a sled, shanty, heaters, power augers, some of us need them now cause we're old, but we're still going out, and still having fun.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #407 on: Dec 23, 2020, 07:47 AM »

Quite impressed Bart. That will keep you toasty.
Hope to see you out there this year.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #408 on: Dec 23, 2020, 08:29 AM »
kc_, It was a fun project, if I went back any further than that you would only see a bucket of tip-ups and a spud!  ;D

Will see you out there...  Merry Christmas!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #409 on: Dec 23, 2020, 10:31 AM »
In need of a new shanty I was looking at the Eskimo Sierra 2 man flip over but after trying to pick it up in the store, it was way to much weight for my 73 year old back.  Sitting next to it was the Wide One Thermal at 20 pounds lighter and quite a bit less expensive so I brought one home.  I decided not to go hog wild with mods so I kept it simple.  First thing I did was paint the sled white but the so called "plastic adhesive paint" isn't and its peeling already.  A light bar was part of the package so that was installed along with a couple of shelves from an old Clam Scout.  I put a couple of rod holders in each corner using a h'talf of a door hinge for each one..a trick I learned here some time ago.  I was always losing my towel in the sled so I hung one from the ceiling and put a small box under the seat as I didn't care for the net that came with the unit.  Not pictured is an expandable net I've hung from the front ceiling to put my gloves and hat in...more articles I was always losing in the sled.  I had some Refletix (sp) laying around so I put some in the floor just for the heck of it as its very light.  Figured it would help keeping the shanty a little warmer.

You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #410 on: Sep 07, 2022, 03:30 PM »
Well it's bout 2/3 complete. Needs a little tweaking. But here it is...The Hole Hopper XE (Extra Easy). No more bending over or squatting on the ice. Push to a spot...grab the drill out of the holster...punch a hole...back in the holster...drop the ducer in the hole (cable is connected to 50# tip up line on the Schooley reel). See fish? Grab the rod from the holder in Vexilar and get after 'em. No fish? Rod back in holder...couple turns of the reel to get ducer out of the hole and tighten nut...move on to next spot. Repeat.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #411 on: Sep 07, 2022, 03:42 PM »
Nice, that looks great.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #412 on: Sep 07, 2022, 06:11 PM »
Good to see ice fishing is getting ramped up.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #413 on: Dec 10, 2022, 06:24 PM »
Bump

Hoping people have some more recent mods to share (especially since the pics from the start of the thread are lost to internet history).  A shame, for sure. Lot of creative genius here.

I'm just brainstorming ways to expand the space of my jet sled Jr before I just commit to buying a bigger sled (at which point I'll probably turn my current one into a run-n-gun setup). This has given me a bunch of good ideas, but there's continually an influx of new material and accessories on the market.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #414 on: Jan 18, 2023, 04:19 PM »
heres mine. Went to our local Salvation army and asked the dumb question if they had any old carts they didnt need anymore and guy gave me this discontinued/donated cart. No, it is not stolen. haha. dropped my overall weight down by 11 pounds and is pretty well organized. old tool box fit perfectly on top and holds 15 tipups and 2 jaw jackers. over sized sled frame holds propane tank, hut, and buddy heater. got away from me downhill and caught a ski on a downed tree but can fix later.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #415 on: Jan 18, 2023, 06:00 PM »
That's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #416 on: Jan 30, 2024, 09:42 PM »
Made this one for this season. Canvas for the light weight. Deep so no need to bungee stuff down. Push handles double as feet for the wind break position. Expanded aluminum base on top of 1/4” polycarbonate for windproofing. Might put a rod holder or 2 on it. Doubles as my firewood sled from shed to house. Easily holds gear for 2 guys.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #417 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:35 AM »
I like the idea of using it as a windbreak

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.