Author Topic: --- SLED MODS ---  (Read 342985 times)

Offline cold carpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: --- SLED MODS ---
« Reply #120 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Nice sled Hounds! I was sitting on a bucket today thinking about a run n gun set up. Mind if I use some of your ideas?

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #121 on: Jan 22, 2012, 11:11 PM »
First of all guys I did not make this one, a friend did.  The slits in the front are so that heat can pass under the seat into the storage compartment also.  There is a Cut out in an extra piece of board to steady the Lantern The top flips down on hinges and has a mesh just above the lantern, you can warm your hands, soup, coffee, dry your gloves etc.  The neatest part is that the Ski's underneath it are made from Stainless.  The only thing's I can take credit for is adding the foam padding, and adding the hangers on the sides, a couple of cup hooks, and a few magnets in a few spots that hold hemostats, and any small metal objects.   I added the tip down thingamabob to the PVC rod holders he had also.  Got those at Walmart, and took it apart. Almost forgot the front was mesh also but I covered it with glass to push the heat back towards the seat.  Had plenty of time this season to think and dream................. ...................... :)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #122 on: Jan 25, 2012, 02:25 PM »
Go COLTS  Yeah, I'm a fan.....
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:08 PM »
I pu skis on my large Otter sled because the one lake that we fish on gets a ton of snow and slush.  With the skis I can have it up and out of the slush/snow.

“If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”

Norman Maclean

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Feb 25, 2012, 09:38 AM »

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #125 on: Mar 01, 2012, 06:56 PM »
I had yesterday off, so I brought my Scout indoors so I could drink a few Crowns and 7, while I brainstormed up ideas in what I wanted in the setup. The deck is strong(supports my weight of standing on it without a hint of weakness)and adds so much more ease and function to my outings. It is built out of 1X4"'s and 4 solid steel, beefy brackets. My auger will have a mount on it it tomorrow, once I am able to move it outdoors(carpet glue is still drying). Inside, I put a 1/4" OSB floor w- outdoor carpeting, and then I also carpeted the deck. I added a Berkley tape measure decal to the inside rail, so I can measure fish with ease. I will always have my heater behind the seat where you see it now, the orange box is my tackle, and the playmate cooler is my bait cooler. The camera sits on top of the flasher very solid and safe for using while I set in my shelter, and the modified buckets make using my camera and flasher a breeze. The Frabill directional over head light provides plenty of light, and the frabill hooks work great for hanging my coat or whatever. The orange cord is for clipping my cell phone unto while I stream hard rock into my hut ;D. The skis will make pulling on the lakes and loading the setup in my truck a breeze. The Mag bait trays that you see holding my poles are awesome! I usually just leave it setup in the fishing mode, and drag the shelter around an area as I hole hop. I find fish, I just drag the shelter over a couple of holes, go through the door, and start fishing. I am 6'3' 200 lbs, and I can lock my fingers together, outstretch my elbows, and they don't touch the side walls. This Scout has plenty of elbow room, and NO EXTENSION POLES. Love it!

This shows where the rear of my skis are on the sled

Flambeau box holds flasher and camera

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #126 on: Mar 04, 2012, 01:36 PM »
Do you shut your brain off at night?   ;)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

surflizard

« Reply #127 on: Mar 04, 2012, 01:49 PM »
I just picked up a strikemaster glide lite sled at Cabelas on sale for 50 bucks ! After seeing some of the glide lite mods here on this thread, I am looking forward to tricking it out during the off season ! Well done mods guys, thanks for sharing ! :thumbsup:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #128 on: Mar 04, 2012, 06:08 PM »
Do you shut your brain off at night?   ;)
Lol...I sleep like a baby...but think about hunting and fishing non stop when I'm awake. That's what my ex's tell me anyway :P

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #129 on: Mar 05, 2012, 10:56 AM »
I just picked up a strikemaster glide lite sled at Cabelas on sale for 50 bucks ! After seeing some of the glide lite mods here on this thread, I am looking forward to tricking it out during the off season ! Well done mods guys, thanks for sharing ! :thumbsup:

It is that time of the year to start stalking discount gear... always the best time to buy is when you do not need it.... ;)

surflizard

« Reply #130 on: Mar 05, 2012, 11:12 AM »
You aren't kidding Jimmy, I told my buddy about the marked down price of 50 bucks on the glide lite sled at Cabelas last week and he went in yesterday and got it for 40 bucks !! :blink: :pinch: :roflmao:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #131 on: Mar 05, 2012, 05:30 PM »
cost too much to store and to much to ship back.  ;) I got a half dozen jig rods and reels last year for 5 bucks a pop. :o

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #132 on: Mar 06, 2012, 08:31 AM »
ASAT nice job on the sled!!

Here's my progress so far...

(Image removed from quote.)

I made an extendable tow bar pretty snug and made out of aluminum,not finished yet tho.
Thanks and nice work!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #133 on: Mar 06, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Hey ASAT, the more I look at your set up, the more impressed I get. I'd like to copy it.

How about posting some close up pics that you previously mentioned?
Thanks! Sorry I missed your reply. What would u like pics of?

Offline RWD12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Jul 29, 2012, 06:58 PM »
Is there any basic mods you could do with a Cabelas utility sled? like possible an auger rack... just anything?

surflizard

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #136 on: Jul 30, 2012, 09:28 AM »
Ya. Put some Scooby-doo stickers on it.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #137 on: Jul 30, 2012, 09:42 AM »
Ya. Put some Scooby-doo stickers on it.
Or SpongeBob SquarePants! :woot: ;)2 :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline RWD12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Jul 30, 2012, 09:59 AM »
Lol at you guys trying to be funny. Haha

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #139 on: Jul 30, 2012, 10:26 AM »
What makes you think I'm trying to be funny?
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline RWD12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Jul 30, 2012, 11:06 AM »
Telling me to put Scooby-doo stickers on it or spongebob like that other guy said.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #141 on: Jul 30, 2012, 12:09 PM »
RWD12, yer jus gotta unnerstand, Reb NEVER jokes around.

:roflmao:  Either will make you look sillier than most.  I like the poison "Yucky Face".    :woot:

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #142 on: Jul 30, 2012, 02:44 PM »
RWD12, yer jus gotta unnerstand, Reb NEVER jokes around.

:roflmao:  Either will make you look sillier than most.  I like the poison "Yucky Face".    :woot:
Me neither!! :woot: :flex: ;)2 :whistle: :callcops:  ( I'm the OTHER guy ) !!! :o ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #143 on: Aug 29, 2012, 07:50 PM »
Started working on my sled mod, not gonna be anything fancy but wanna make it so things are where there supposed to be. I started with a Otter Sport sled i picked up last year. It would be nice if it was a bigger version but i still gotta drag it, dont have a 4 wheeler or a snowmobile to tow it. and the ice we had last year I wouldnt have been stupid enough to try it,  :) I'll keep postin pics as I go.

The last pic gives an idea how its gonna used for storage. I'm gonna make a bracket off the back that I will be able to the power head to the auger on it. I have a Jiffy Pro 4 with a quick release pin so they are easily assembled and takin down on the ice.
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Sep 03, 2012, 07:40 PM »
Made a template today and got the sides made, prob gonna be the hardest part of this build. Lids next, then the back bracket, paint and hardware. gettin impatient :thumbsup: :woot:

Offline cold carpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #145 on: Sep 23, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Nice.
One thing to remember though- the more room you give yourself the more you will drag out on the ice! After 3 trips out with one I made I went back and downsized.

At home the words " yep that'll fit too" were common.
After a 1 mile trek it became "What the hell was I thinking!"

You will love having lids though,keeps everything nice and dry!

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Sep 24, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Yes just got them cut out the other night and the bottom the the small compartment finnished just havent gotten the pics uploaded yet. Im not dragging alot out, its not that big of a sled, i just wanted a way to keep everything organized and dry when the weather gets crappy.

Offline cold carpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Sep 24, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Yeah, it is nice to have dry gear, and a place to stash a layer of clothing with out worrying about it getting wet.
I'm a pack rat, and if I had a little crack of space I could usually find a reason to squeeze some other piece of gear into it!
Those days are over now, my teenagers don't go fishing  much anymore. I rather miss those days of "Daddy I got one!"

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Sep 25, 2012, 06:51 AM »
Those days are over now, my teenagers don't go fishing  much anymore. I rather miss those days of "Daddy I got one!"

Yea they grow up and there intrest change, but they usually come back around, been there done that. My youngest is askin to go with me this year again...she wanted to go last year but i wouldnt take her with the lousy ice conditions we had. she loves to fish.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #149 on: Nov 04, 2012, 04:59 PM »
I mounted Rubbermade Fast Track Rails on each side of my jet sled. They come in 4 ft lengths, and the sled is 4 ft. The rubbermade hooks install and remove with ease, so that I can remove for transport. It is awesome to have my auger and shelter out of the sled, so I have organized gear. Thanks for the ski idea smitty! I have to have the sled elevated so that the auger can ride on the side.

where can i get one one them things like you got to pull the sled?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.