Author Topic: --- SLED MODS ---  (Read 344325 times)

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: --- SLED MODS ---
« Reply #150 on: Nov 06, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Okay I'm building my 1st smitty sled right now. I want to build an auger rack on it. I have an eskimo stingray s33 8" auger what I want to do is put it on the back horizontally across it. But also over the main part of the sled I'm going to have either my suitcase style sled or when I buy my flip over that will be on there.

Here's a pic of my idea

The Black is the actual sled, red is my shack, green is the auger holder, and white our the buckets. What are people using to hold stuff down with?

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #151 on: Nov 06, 2012, 11:05 PM »
I built my auger rack for my smitty sled today. The only thing I don't like are the forks on top of the posts. They are not secured very well. The threads are too coarse to fasten with any nuts. So, for now I just have them screwed into blocks of wood inside the top caps.

jbird68

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #152 on: Nov 18, 2012, 08:17 PM »
Here is mine from a few years ago. I sold it and bought a bigger sled. The new one is still a work in my head. I will start it tomorrow. I will post pics as I go.

It worked well but the top cover made it hard to haul a good load of fire wood.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #153 on: Nov 20, 2012, 10:08 AM »
shappell rover 1.5 SP under seat mod. I noticed there was usless space under the bench when i got it so i thought i would build a little box. simple 1x6 pine with a 1/4" bottom routered in for strength:

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #154 on: Nov 20, 2012, 05:33 PM »
 Nothing fancy but nice to have spud auger and house out of the way so the sled can be used.

Offline william bennett

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " FLAGS UP>>GET IT"
« Reply #155 on: Nov 26, 2012, 06:26 PM »
i have a question. i just picked up some 6 ft skies cheap for  15 bucks. is that to long to use on my sled. or should i make them shorter...bill
William Bennett

Everybody needs some form of release.......... I fish
(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #156 on: Nov 26, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Mine are long, too. I just left them long. I can still fit them in the bed of my truck. Maybe I can add another box to the back to carry more stuff.
jbird68

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Nov 26, 2012, 07:58 PM »
i cut mine

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #158 on: Dec 01, 2012, 10:26 AM »
i cut mine

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for posting this. I was sitting here wondering how to make the best base and Wha LA!,,, here it is.  ;D

Wondering where those mounting flanges came from or how they were made
This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Dec 01, 2012, 02:51 PM »
I'd be concerned with those emt elbow brackets....they aren't designed for load...would be better off to make a 90 degree bend in the conduit.

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Dec 01, 2012, 03:01 PM »
Quote from: Team Robinson
Thanks for posting this. I was sitting here wondering how to make the best base and Wha LA!,,, here it is.  ;D

Wondering where those mounting flanges came from or how they were made

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Dec 01, 2012, 03:04 PM »
I'd be concerned with those emt elbow brackets....they aren't designed for load...would be better off to make a 90 degree bend in the conduit.

i was sitting on the bucket when the sled was loaded to see if it wasn't too high, it didn't break.
hope it won't break on the ice.

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #162 on: Dec 01, 2012, 03:12 PM »
i was sitting on the bucket when the sled was loaded to see if it wasn't too high, it didn't break.
hope it won't break on the ice.
I made a hunting blind out of conduit one time and used emt elbows....they couldn't take the flex while traveling and failed by stress fracture...also the set screws didn't hold well either...and all I hung off of it was grass mats.  Was just a caution for you is all. Still like the design.

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #163 on: Dec 03, 2012, 04:27 AM »
I decided to go for the conduit build and put it together last night. I used foot flanges to tie the skies on which worked very well. I also put about 40# on it before seeing a slight bend develop but it held fine.
Since I will be hauling alot more than 40# I will be swapping the conduit out for 1/2" black pipe most likely, since the cast foot flanges are designed for that pipe.

I am very happy with the way it is turning out and look forward to getting it out on a test run this year.
This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #164 on: Dec 04, 2012, 02:39 PM »
I don't know how to load photos here but I built something very similar but I used pieces from an aluminum walker that disabled people use.  I bought 2 of them at goodwill or someplace like that and paid about $1 each.  My buddy welds aluminum and he rigged it up pretty quick.  I used a piece of flat aluminum attached to the ski and he welded the round aluminum to that.  I had to file the aluminum some at the bottom as the ski has some angle to it at the front.  I used some JB weld to attach the pole to the flat piece temporarilly till he welded it so I could get the right 90 degree angles.  The cross braces were made the same way and I had to use a half round file to get a tight fit where the horizontal and vertical joints are.  It's lasted 3 years now, is very light and it was cheap. 

I had used PVC before that and it lasted several years but eventually the cold temps caused it to break.

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #165 on: Dec 05, 2012, 06:38 AM »
I don't know how to load photos here but I built something very similar but I used pieces from an aluminum walker that disabled people use. 

Brilliant!
This is why I left NY

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #166 on: Dec 06, 2012, 02:35 PM »
Here is the Mod to our sled. Cant wait for the ice!  ;D

Thanks for the great idea Efka!
This is why I left NY

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #167 on: Dec 07, 2012, 03:00 AM »
looks good.
one thing i noticed is, the shorter are the risers the more stable they are. leverage.....
i only left mine at 5"

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #168 on: Dec 07, 2012, 02:03 PM »
looks good.
one thing i noticed is, the shorter are the risers the more stable they are. leverage.....
i only left mine at 5"

Yup... Mine are 10". I will be taking tools with me the first time out and if it needs to be chopped I will be able to do that pretty easy at that time. I was concerned with deeper powder to be honest. Thats why I left them long
This is why I left NY

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #169 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:29 AM »
OK after taking a break from my sled, not my choice, I finally finished it this past weekend and new years eve. Nothing fancy but the stuff will stay dry and organised

Simple is allways good and the best part is that I only added about 8 lbs more than what I normally have in it.
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:12 AM »
Thats a great looking sled wiley!

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #171 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:21 AM »
nice job

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #172 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:25 AM »
Nice looking sled.
<===Lefty===

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #173 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:54 AM »
you pull that by hand or with a snow mobile?

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:13 AM »
you pull that by hand or with a snow mobile?

Thanks guys  ;D

By hand Hounds, PA wont let us have those nice luxeries. With the auger head on it, it only weighs 39 - 40 lbs.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Wileyc3,
Nice looking sled. But where do you keep your rods? I don't see a place for them.
jbird68

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:09 AM »
Wileyc3,
Nice looking sled. But where do you keep your rods? I don't see a place for them.

Right now there in a rod case beside the auger bit, bad camera angle, but once i get a few things around I'm gonna suspend them from the lid over the auger. There is empty room towards the front for the reels and I was trying a way to attach pieces of 1.25 pipe or tubing along the length of the lid over to slide the rods in and the support the end with the reels so they dont get damaged by anyting I might have in that compartment. That's why I have that lid folding out like I do.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #177 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:03 AM »
You could use industrial 2" wide Velcro. It sticks on tight to painted wood.
<===Lefty===

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #178 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:16 AM »
you could also attach the velcro with screws.

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #179 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:49 AM »
Sweet guys, thats an idea.....now ya have my brain working !!! Thanks !!!! ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.