Author Topic: anybody getting lake trout?  (Read 2445 times)

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
anybody getting lake trout?
« on: Jan 31, 2020, 09:06 PM »
I will finally get out in a few days to try and catch one.  Being busy sucks.  And I had to wait for ice.
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
Re: anybody getting lake trout?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2020, 10:19 PM »
All the people I know will not post any lake trout pictures on iceshanty or even online anymore ever since the closure of the Tacheeda lakes from the local fisheries biologists related to threads online. Use to be great- I use to love posting up lots of big laker fishing pix, just don't see them online anymore, sad to see.. Use to be lots of good threads often. Crazy how a few bunch of people who never post up stuff help to end the postings of great threads I use to love reading and seeing..
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline the force

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2020, 12:36 AM »
Can you expand on that a bit more Ian (or PM me)? Not too sure what you mean... I was lucky to get a dandy last weekend though maybe I shouldn’t be sharing or what??

Offline Lets fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2020, 08:23 AM »
Awesome Fish! Im with Ian love to see those pigs

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2020, 10:48 PM »
Fat laker, nicely done on a good lookin fish.
Years back every weekend there would be pix and stories of many fish and adventures on BC forum. Guys use to post up them bonking a laker each on some outings. Use to bring a home made bat as fish bonker. Max lakers youd see would be 3 in one day, all mature lakers. They received fair bit of chirping about releasing the fish from people- some were fisheries people. They chirped back saying they are not breaking any laws, as were allowed to harvest one large laker, the chirping got directed at each other, escalated and many if not all threads were deleted between fisheries bios and the fisherman.

No problems, all was great, many people chatted and got out ice fishing and all had good times. Use to come online everyday to iceshanty and see the latest replies etc and spend hours.
Then fisheries shut down Tacheeda lakes (the lakes previously chirping was going on in threads) as they gill netted the following summer and in the days they fished with nets they yielded ZERO lake trout caught so they closed the lake- ONLY TO ICE FISHING.

Some people chirped up and most of us kept quiet but knew exactly what would happen. The threads relating to this from local fisheries bios chirping/warnings are all deleted years ago.
Only a few guys went out and ice fished these lakes every winter and every time catch lakers in a hole in the ice with one rod, but nets were unable to catch any.. A ton of speculation was casted but results stayed the same and no longer those people any many others do not post and due to that went on for quite some time most have never posted again. I never did see any posts from fisheries people other then to chirp that was all.

-Many ways of restrictions such as no retention etc, etc, but a strict no ice fishing was implemented which put a bad taste in the handful of people every winter who went to the lake. In the 10 years or so I ice fished it the only trax of people that ever went there were the few from Iceshanty that was all, so winter pressure was very low.

So postings of great threads and pictures from then onward from hardcore icefisherman and women fizzled out. I use love to post up pix of a hard access lake that hold some good sized fish i called Hoot lake, but also deleted them. Since then posts just dont happen like they use to as those who know are scared of such restrictions that could be put out if the lakes they are fishing if found out by such lurkers who have the ability to put restrictions on lakes..  That pretty much sums it up what went away with the laker pix. BC has some beautiful and large lake trout and was always great to see, sux to see how a few can change the goodness..
But yes tigrr to reply to your comment- yes people are still bending short rods fighting the lakers thru the ice   :thumbsup:

Offline the force

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:23 AM »
Interesting and unfortunate... would suck to have one of your favourite lakes shut down to ice fishing, especially if it is low pressure. Not really the case here, but I do see the risks that social media bring to some fisheries - more so small lakes that can’t handle pressure though I suppose large (old) lakers could fall into that category. I very seldom post lake names, though will typically share those in a da e to face conversation.

Anyway, that fattie was from region 5 and went back to swim another day and I now can’t get lakers out of my mind! Few more pics for your viewing pleasure.

Offline paulbunyan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2020, 09:26 PM »
I can't believe some of the lakes they have banned from ice fishing! Some get almost no pressure in the summer, let alone winter! The nation lakes chain is one of them??? Me and my retired old buddies would love to head out somewhere like that and try to get a big one, but I guess the powers that be know better.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2020, 09:57 PM »
Yes, so posting certain pix and especially the names of the lakes can be hurtful.. First thing everyone wants to know is where, which can prove to be very unfortunate in the wrong hands.
Love how fat that guy is- super healthy good to see. Ya mite have to upgrade to a 10" hole :). I use to do the 3 leaf clover thing after I lost a real big one trying to get it up the hold, now the 10" holes help a lot compared to the 8" we use to use especially if getting cold and 8" hold turns into 6" hole..
Super fun to catch, often the lakes we head into take a lot of work breaking trail on snowmobiles to get into as can be tons of snow and logging roads are not plowed very far so long distances to travel to gain access to the good ones..
-Tight lines!

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:37 AM »
More and more lakes are fly fishing only.  More and more lakes are barbless, single hook and baitless.  Don't know who thinks all this up but it isn't people who would like to eat the odd fish.
Little kids fishing for the first time and they didn't get a fish in the boat because of the barbless rule on the lake.  They won't want to fish any more.  Simple way to kill the sport is kill the interest in it.
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2020, 01:16 AM »
Interesting and unfortunate... would suck to have one of your favourite lakes shut down to ice fishing, especially if it is low pressure. Not really the case here, but I do see the risks that social media bring to some fisheries - more so small lakes that can’t handle pressure though I suppose large (old) lakers could fall into that category. I very seldom post lake names, though will typically share those in a da e to face conversation.

Anyway, that fattie was from region 5 and went back to swim another day and I now can’t get lakers out of my mind! Few more pics for your viewing pleasure.

Wow that is a GIANT!  Great fish, even better release!
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline hallyslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2020, 10:23 AM »
I get out after lake trout on all my days off in the winter time. Only fish I target during the hardwater season. Hard hits, massive head shakes and line burning runs, doesn't get any better. Catch and release only for me. I haven't kept a laker in over 10 years. I've learned that the best way to have good lake trout fishing, is keep your mouth shut! I don't tell anyone where I fish, what I catch, or post pictures online. Biggest fish through the ice this winter was right at the 35 pound mark. Nothing like getting a fish that's touching both edges of a 10" hole when you pull them through!

Very nice fish in the previous posts, well done! And good on you for releasing!

Lake trout are an extremely slow growing fish, and take a long time to reach sexual maturity. Big fish grow as little as 1/2 an inch a year. That means a 40" fish is over 40 years old. These are your big breeders. They lay the largest quantities of eggs and keep a lake going. Everyone wants to catch a big lake trout, but a lot of people like to bonk them. These same people are the ones that say "The fishing's not like it used to be, no big fish left" Hmmmm......

Offline the force

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2020, 05:33 PM »
Wow 35lbs is a monster!! Haven’t heard of that size fish since an family friend was telling me about trips up to lake Athabasca.
I’m in Kamloops so a bit far to the better lakes, though if I can save up a few days it’s nice to get out and spend the night on the ice and on the fish. Caught several after sunset last time. I agree with letting the bigguns swim, genes, reproduction capability and the chance of someone catching again. Grew up fishing a lake with a slot size for the prime breeders (had to be released) and it definelty made that lake a trophy fishery. I still eat fish but keep the smaller ones for that.

Hopefully make it out for one more laker trip this year, so fun when you get into them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.