New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1024653 times)

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #900 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:47 AM »
Right. Especially when its perfectly legal. I cant say ive never kept a big one for the wall.. but when we come off the river and it was a really good night, and you see a dad/son team and they have two 10 pound walleyes, a 9 pounder, a couple 8 pounders, and a 7 pounder all frozen in the sled, its like ouch :-\... BUT, perfectly legal. Lol im done blatting! Neat topic to me..

And sadly, they all probably tasted like crap.
Give me a 16" any day.
The tug is the drug.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #901 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:50 AM »
I caught 31 1/2” male out of the Oswego river 20 plus years ago, did not weight it but wish I had.

Without a big belly, probably 10-11lb

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #902 on: Feb 02, 2018, 12:16 PM »
yes,that’s
what I’ve been told before. 31 1/2” eye is not a eater. And that’s for sure!

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #903 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:27 PM »
Fished northwest today on previous waypoints. That crack that runs parallel with the north shore opened up enough to ruin somebody's day. I crossed in the dark and it was 3" wide,on the way back it was a foot and covered with snow. Walkers & ATV's beware.  Glad I brought the spud. Dozen perch & 2 eyes. 1 short, 1 dumped at the hole...Section V wrestling the rest of the weekend. I'll be back next weekend hopefully the walleye bite will be better.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #904 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:45 PM »
i remember when word got out on the big walleyes in Oswego and ever guide around  booked walleye trips ....looked like salmon season on the harbor and  a lot of big fish went home ......so if you catch a few on your own and keep them i don't care .... if you like eating them who am i to complain that's really what fish are ....food .....i had people  tell me i was wrong in keeping smaller eyes  for the table and letting big ones go .....does it matter  the fishery is supported by a stock truck

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #905 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04:34 PM »
I've never been fortunate to hook into a big walleye , 30" or larger would be on my wall I like smaller walleye to eat anything  20" or larger I always put back just don't have the same taste imo . My biggest was shy of 27" came out of Oneida river fishing from the bank  and largest from the lake was 25 3/4" outta big bay . Hooked into some large eyes from otisco and Ontario but never landed them. Looking forward to getting back out after a long work week hope they cooperate for us !!

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #906 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04:36 PM »
How much snow is there now on the ice? Thanks
I live back in the woods you see

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #907 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04:57 PM »
How much snow is there now on the ice? Thanks
zero.....as of noon.......all blowing off

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #908 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04:58 PM »

Thanks scout for the snow report

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #909 on: Feb 02, 2018, 05:04 PM »
Thanks scout for the snow report
Yes thank you 👍
I live back in the woods you see

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #910 on: Feb 02, 2018, 05:35 PM »
Brutal day out of Godfrey. Coldest air I’ve ever experienced, the walk in was awful. 1 white perch out of dozens we marked. Love it when Oneida hands me a proper beating :P
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #911 on: Feb 02, 2018, 06:22 PM »
I got out for the last hour. One keeper and dumped one. Lots of zombie marks. Not even reacting to the bait unless you whacked em in the head with it and then they just swam away. Maybe sheephead or just zombie eyes.

Lake was great for travel. Light snow and finally flattened out a bit.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #912 on: Feb 02, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Apparently that guy's 3rd walleye of the season on Quinte. Saw this from another message board, not sure if it's real but no fish finder or camera!

"Been fishing Quinte since the early 1980's. This is by far my biggest walleye ever. Fish was caught in Big Bay. I went out from Wagar's. She was caught on a 1/2 oz. silver Kastmaster. I doctor them a little bit by putting red prism tape on one side and silver prism tape on the other. I also put a larger treble hook on them. I've used that lure for years and usually have decent luck with it. I was riding my ATV so my normal strategy is to run and gun. I pop a hole and if I don't have at least a solid hit after 30 minutes or so I move to a new spot. I fish pretty low tech. when ice fishing. No fish finder or camera. I do have a GPS so I do punch in way points when I either catch or lose a fish. I just keep moving and hope I drop my lure in from of one that will bite. This guy hit in about the 3rd hole I cut at about 8:30 am. This is only the 3rd fish of the ice fishing season that I have caught. Previous two were small eaters. Over the years I have caught a lot of fish in the 8 to 10 lb category and honestly this guy didn't fight any harder than those. He did make a couple of runs against the drag. Getting his head in the 8 inch hole was the toughest part but he did come in eventually. When I laid him on the ice I new he was big and probably the biggest walleye of my life. I had no scales or tape measure with me but I suspected she was over 14 lbs. I normally put these big girls back but since I was pretty certain she was my new PB, I decided to keep her for the wall. When I got her home and measured and weighed her I was in shock. I really thought 17-18 lb walleye's were only a myth and never dreamt that I would catch one myself. This fish was the only bite I had all morning with the exception of a single jumbo perch."

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #913 on: Feb 02, 2018, 06:32 PM »
I got out for the last hour. One keeper and dumped one. Lots of zombie marks. Not even reacting to the bait unless you whacked em in the head with it and then they just swam away. Maybe sheephead or just zombie eyes.

Lake was great for travel. Light snow and finally flattened out a bit.
had some of those zombie marks myself this morning Chow.........would just show up on the vex out of nowhere......mostly suspended.......did coax a couple to hit and they were big fish......unfortunatel y lost both fish 6 ft from the hole....one snapped 6 # flouro leader and the other spit it......ticked me off cause I just wanted to see what they were......don't think they were eyes.......guessing sheepies or burbot, but they pulled as hard as any fish I've ever caught thru the ice.....ended up with 9 perch and pulled the plug at 9:30 with that gaddam wind......south shore....31 fow

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #914 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one struggling out there...

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #915 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:05 PM »
i remember when word got out on the big walleyes in Oswego and ever guide around  booked walleye trips ....looked like salmon season on the harbor and  a lot of big fish went home.

We used to go up there 30 or more years ago, one trip my buddy had 10, 11, and 13# walleyes. We fished it at night from a boat and the wall was almost shoulder to shoulder with people who were throwing stick baits and flashers were constantly going off to charge lures, seemed like during the day they were all fishing with night crawlers, there were plenty of boats out around the rock breakwalls also.
A buddy of mine and his BIL go up to Oneida for both ice and in the spring, told them about Oswego and to try it. They haven't done overly great there, but the BIL has one 31 1/2" 10+lbs., not too shabby there's still a few there!!!!

Offline Budbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "NIP"?? OHH YEA!
« Reply #916 on: Feb 03, 2018, 03:00 AM »
i remember when word got out on the big walleyes in Oswego and ever guide around  booked walleye trips...
Sometimes it makes me sick to my stomach.... I was one of those guides.my first mate at the time and i still talk about it . We were young and if only knew.
Took 168 in the first 45 days of the season in the early 2000's
"MONGO'S"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #917 on: Feb 03, 2018, 04:42 AM »
I remember going over to Oswego and watching charter boats and drift boats trolling at night and smashing 10#ers , well it took many years of pounding but now the average size isn’t even close to what it use to be , guys thought it was a never ending supply , old timers had been catching those old gals for many years before they were discovered by the masses , it won’t happen in my life time but you younger guys keep an eye on what happens up north 😉 some of you fellas that live up there know what I’m talking about on what’s going on

Offline taildancer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish-o-haulic
« Reply #918 on: Feb 03, 2018, 06:32 AM »
Anyone been out of spuce Grove lately... looking for ice conditions as u head for the channel. Cracks to cross?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #919 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:00 AM »
I remember going over to Oswego and watching charter boats and drift boats trolling at night and smashing 10#ers , well it took many years of pounding but now the average size isn’t even close to what it use to be , guys thought it was a never ending supply , old timers had been catching those old gals for many years before they were discovered by the masses , it won’t happen in my life time but you younger guys keep an eye on what happens up north 😉 some of you fellas that live up there know what I’m talking about on what’s going on

after what I seen happen in Oswego I'm surprised there isn't a one fish limit in big walleyes ...I can remember  drift boats  off the  detach wall in the dark with no lights  screaming because  you came  to close  and they would fight with the coast guard saying they didn't need lights  under  man power ...... was  crazy

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #920 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:11 AM »
It was crazy , ten#,were run of the mill
I remember all that , captains-guides letting their clients keep there limits to and I can also remember the times before all that nonsense

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #921 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:29 AM »
We decided to give that Oswego walleye night fishing a try one night ...got over towards the break wall ( with both portable lights on) and all of a sudden in the pitch dark this boat (with no lights on)  starts screaming at us that we were "going in the wrong direction" ! **censored** I didn't know we were supposed to go in a certain direction.....they were doing that to avoid collisions or tangled lines while trying to troll along the hot zones.... it was a "follow the leader" procession in the night darkness. It really worked quite well. Most boats were using those giant f-13 rapalas.

That giant walleye picture is awesome and amazing. I would have thought an 18 lb. walleye would have been a little longer than 33 inches.  I have caught 32 inch fish in Quinte the first day or 2 of December that only weighed 12 1/2 lbs.
The girth of her is really huge I guess....darn 18 lbs....I don't even dream of walleyes that big!
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #922 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:32 AM »
had some of those zombie marks myself this morning Chow.........would just show up on the vex out of nowhere......mostly suspended.......did coax a couple to hit and they were big fish......unfortunatel y lost both fish 6 ft from the hole....one snapped 6 # flouro leader and the other spit it......ticked me off cause I just wanted to see what they were......don't think they were eyes.......guessing sheepies or burbot, but they pulled as hard as any fish I've ever caught thru the ice.....ended up with 9 perch and pulled the plug at 9:30 with that gaddam wind......south shore....31 fow

The one we plucked was suspended 22 feet in 29 feet of water. Was a big white perch. Had a ton come in suspended high and sniff the baits, tried everything to get them to snap.
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #923 on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:01 AM »
It was crazy , ten#,were run of the mill
I remember all that , captains-guides letting their clients keep there limits to and I can also remember the times before all that nonsense

What was the biggest one you caught

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #924 on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:28 AM »
What was the biggest one you caught
12# Measured ,weighed , pic and gone , I see your pics of some really nice ones 👍🏻🎣 keep-m coming

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #925 on: Feb 03, 2018, 09:29 AM »
my biggest was 13lbs 7oz  ...casting  j-18's  blue and silver  .....  the detached wall was dangerous place to fish  you could  be in a collision  easy ... and the charter boats would crowd you in a heart beat ....

before word got out  and before linear park was built we would  fish for the gaints.... but  we got tons of 26 inchers and less too .....

and you can google blue pike ...long gone now commercially fished to extinction listed in the 1970's what a shame

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #926 on: Feb 03, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Awsome fish. Sounds like wild times. Everyone was Young & Reckless at one point. I hope the big river is a little more sturdy then the Oswego, but it will begin to decline some day..  and everyone will say, **censored**! Why? Where did the big walleyes go? Lol. We are notorious from not learning from our mistakes though (Americans).

Sorry to infiltrate and derail this thread. Oneida! Lets see some nice Oneida eyeballs. How come no giants?  High density/competition??

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #927 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:06 PM »

NNYice you didn’t derail anything , I thought airing that out was a good thing , I’m sure trapp will to ,

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #928 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:13 PM »
not just americans people in general are greedy  look at japan and china  and the decline in fishing off our coast....

from what I seen it was the  guides and charters that put the hurrying on oswego's fish .... after a few big ones for pictures  everyone  went up in the river drifting worms for smaller fish that tasted good .... I'm not sure how long it takes a walleye to get over 10 pounds .... catch on get a picture or put him on the wall ,other then that toss them back catch something that taste good .....I just had walleye sandwich from Oneida lake  :thumbsup:

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #929 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Oneida could grow giants.... like the Oswego gig... if guys would learn to put the bigger fish in Oneida back... there would be bigger eyes to catch. Personally, I keep 15-19” fish with an occasional 20”er. Doesn’t hurt to conserve a bit to catch bigger fish later in life. Oneida is a put and take fishery... never hurt the population of eyes.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.