New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1027064 times)

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #180 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:03 AM »
I had the sled out yesterday and picked around a few things but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Just had to take my time.

Managed a limit of eyes and a perch yesterday. Oh and a pile of shorts.

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #181 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:32 AM »
  Thanks for reports guys, I didn't fish today but I drove  from lakeport back across the beach and up to constancia for something too do, instead of buying a truck too haul my gear this fall, because my station wagon died a couple yrs ago, {my camry can't haul my gear|....I bought a sled too keep at the lake with my gear , thought that will solve my problem and wouldn't you know it, that lake froze as jagged as I've ever seen in on northshore, just my luck, that lake needs a good 2 feet of snow on it now too cover that stuff up for sleds.talked with a lot of people, everyone said tough bite today. southshore was much smoother ice, like night and day compared too northside.  for all the guys that walk out of apps, now that I have a sled if snow ever gets deep, i'll pack a nice path for the walkers.
A nice path?? How about a nice ride?$$ You name it😉

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #182 on: Dec 31, 2017, 10:40 AM »
A nice path?? How about a nice ride?$$ You name it😉

maybe some morning after the newness of the sled wheres off, got too pay back the boys who helped me over the years first, looks like a very long season, maybe i'll run into sometime later in the season when were perchin, I have a feeling walleye bite could get tough in February.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Dec 31, 2017, 10:44 AM »
Saw people all the way out by grassy and was gonna try to catch them but missed them when they came in. They were walking on the ice where it didn't have all that crap pushed up. Brave souls, all of that was open water before the cold snap, but I have to believe it has frozen better than that packed up ice. Going to try to see what's shaking today if I can catch anybody coming in after work today.

only place I ever took a drink was behind spruce grove walkin out too the pinnacle, got too be careful near constancia, those islands and pinacles must create currents that freeze funny.I'm always careful over there.  heard a bunch of guys fell threw the crack at lewis last night, she busted good, few rescues in the whiteout..

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #184 on: Dec 31, 2017, 10:50 AM »

Anyone have any morning temps today near Oneida?, Reeleyes?   I had 18 below zero this morning, 6th straight night in arrow below zero for me.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Dec 31, 2017, 10:53 AM »

Anyone have any morning temps today near Oneida?, Reeleyes?   I had 18 below zero this morning, 6th straight night in arrow below zero for me.

7 below here this morning.

Offline jiggly wiggly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #186 on: Dec 31, 2017, 11:07 AM »
  only place I ever took a drink was behind spruce grove walkin out too the pinnacle, got too be careful near constancia, those islands and pinacles must create currents that freeze funny.I'm always careful over there.  heard a bunch of guys fell threw the crack at lewis last night, she busted good, few rescues in the whiteout..

(Image removed from quote.)
lol. that's me didn't know pic was being taken, nice pic to show the dangers. I didn't get wet, had spud, I actually watching for 15 min, then followed the group.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #187 on: Dec 31, 2017, 11:15 AM »

I had - 10 at 5 am and it has warmed up to a balmy 4  ;D

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Dec 31, 2017, 11:16 AM »
I had - 4 at 9 am Lewis Point. Cracks are tight for now but as she makes ice they will tend to open and close.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #189 on: Dec 31, 2017, 11:22 AM »

I'm up to minus 4 right now, could be our high. surprised you weren't colder reeleyes I was expecting you too say minus 10.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Dec 31, 2017, 11:24 AM »

I had - 10 at 5 am and it has warmed up to a balmy 4  ;D

if winds go northeast tonight you beat that by 9pm tonight.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #191 on: Dec 31, 2017, 11:43 AM »

I'm up to minus 4 right now, could be our high. surprised you weren't colder reeleyes I was expecting you too say minus 10.

I think my house thermometer runs a little warm. It's always a few degrees colder in my truck. So it could have been more like -10.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #192 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:56 PM »
Fished 7:00 - 11:00.  Walked out.  Won't make that mistake again.  4 keeper eyes.  Banged one right after I got set up and then 3 between 9-10.  Was sitting on 8". 

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #193 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:26 PM »
-12 at the beach house this am.........fish were tight lipped......no wind made it tolerable

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #194 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:36 PM »
well didnt fish but took a ride on sled cut 3 holes to check ice all had about 6in

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #195 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:04 PM »
just checked forecast for next weekend high of 1 friday and high of 4 saturday... warmest day all week is 22 and all the lows area negative or single digits.now if we can keep any real amount of snow off the lake we will really have a lot of ice.....

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:36 PM »
Nice job s10!

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #197 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:56 PM »

Nice Job Jay! ;D

Offline Bug-Eye-Brew

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release into the Grease
« Reply #198 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:59 PM »
Any reports out of Apps ? How's the ice ? Machines a go or no go ?
Age is an issue of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter ... Mark Twain

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #199 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Any reports out of Apps ? How's the ice ? Machines a go or no go ?
I stopped at Apps at 1 pm today for some bait. I can't tell you how thick the ice is there , but I can tell you it was a jagged mess on top and Only 2 shacks (walkers) out in front of Apps and Vellas, no machines. Only 3 other shacks from There all the way back west to Taft Bay.

2 groups walked out of Mill St . Constantia and were fishing just north of little grassy island.
Jagged moonscape type mess on top off of Godfrey and no one fishing there.
7 vehicles at Wanner Rd. Jewell where the guy's picked there way out and through the jagged ice field and were fishing the drop.
Lot's of guys and better looking conditions off of Edgewater and Sylvan , .... all or most of the fisherman were east of a big N/S pressure crack.
Lots of guy's off Lewis, mostly off the point and a little East...several visible cracks there as usual. No one fishing west of the point toward Messenger reef and shoal where there was jagged looking conditions.
A bunch fishing out of Chapman park, mostly a bit east.
No one parked or fishing at  DEC South Shore Boat Launch at Dutchman Island.
Did not check any other spots.
Traveled light today to check on my camper and get some gear up in Mexico, did not have a shack, and it was a little to cold to be sitting on a bucket out there today, so I did not cut any holes or fish.
Good job on the fish  KP, s 10, reeleyz  and all you guy's that cashed in...hope to join the party soon.
Stay safe, ..... plenty of fishing days ahead.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #200 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:24 PM »
Great report..thank you  very much

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:58 AM »
-18 here this morning!!!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #202 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:03 AM »
-18 here this morning!!!

-30 in Chaumont....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #203 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:03 AM »
These temps are crazy 10 day forecast shows only 1 day up to 32 the rest very cold and sub zero at night with not much snow at all very good start to the season

Offline bziel1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #204 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:30 AM »
Have never fished Oneida before do most people jigs for walleyes or tip ups? Was hoping to take the drive this coming weekend... catching them in the shallows or out deep?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #205 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:41 AM »

B-1 most guys jig , a few use tip downs and tip ups , sometimes there is a lot of moving involved

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #206 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Great Report Choo Choo!  I appreciate it!  I will make the trip next weekend most likely.

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #207 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:09 AM »
B1 being Mobil is key to fishing Oneida setting up tip downs and then picking them and moving slows you down in my opinion and you can't go wrong looking over a good map of the lake like navionics lots of structure

Offline icecusan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #208 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:20 AM »
my motto has always been its never too hot or its never too cold outside but you know what its been cold outside    age must be catching up to me  guess ill wait till noon to hit the beach
walk on water

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #209 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Finally got out yesterday afternoon. Same area I checked the day before. I went out midday with the spud for an hour and found a safe path out. I grabbed my gear and fished the last couple hours of light. Picked around a bit and got the ol skunk. I only marked 4 fish and my fishing partner dumped 3 at the hole!  It was good to get the rust off. Walking was good with only a couple inches of snow..didn’t even need the creepers 👍🏼
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.