Author Topic: Running Buddy Heater fan on 12v Battery  (Read 4781 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Running Buddy Heater fan on 12v Battery
« on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:11 AM »
Nothing really groundbreaking here, but I did this conversion and got it on a quick little video.   Super easy, took me about 10 minutes.  The fan is connected to the battery box inside the back panel with spade connectors.  Just disconnect those and wire in the transformer and the other side to your extension that will go to 12v battery.   Transformer is about $6 (link in video description).    I figured why mess with D batteries or even adding another small rechargeable 6v battery to my growing charging ritual.  Just run it off the flasher and be done.

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Running Buddy Heater fan on 12v Battery
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:26 AM »
Good work/DIY, and I like it:-)
Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:50 PM »
You can not step 12VDC down to 6VDC with a transformer.  A transformer requires an AC voltage source and will produce an AC output voltage.  An AC transformer will appear as a dead short to a DC source minus the negligible resistance of the wire in the primary winding.  Do not attach a "transformer" to a battery.  What you are installing is a voltage regulator which is a semiconductor device.   Just want to make sure everyone is clear that if you want to do this you need voltage regulator not a "transformer".

Offline North

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:59 PM »
That's a great Mod.  I used the fan for exactly 1 set of d calls and gave up on that idea.  I'll be doing this to mine heater this weekend!
Thanks!!

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2019, 04:51 AM »
Nothing really groundbreaking here, but I did this conversion and got it on a quick little video.   Super easy, took me about 10 minutes.  The fan is connected to the battery box inside the back panel with spade connectors.  Just disconnect those and wire in the transformer and the other side to your extension that will go to 12v battery.   Transformer is about $6 (link in video description).    I figured why mess with D batteries or even adding another small rechargeable 6v battery to my growing charging ritual.  Just run it off the flasher and be done.
[/quote
You can not step 12VDC down to 6VDC with a transformer.  A transformer requires an AC voltage source and will produce an AC output voltage.  An AC transformer will appear as a dead short to a DC source minus the negligible resistance of the wire in the primary winding.  Do not attach a "transformer" to a battery.  What you are installing is a voltage regulator which is a semiconductor device.   Just want to make sure everyone is clear that if you want to do this you need voltage regulator not a "transformer".

So who is right?  It appears to be working in the video.  The only thing missing is the link to the product used to alter the voltage.  (I watched the video twice and did not see a link)
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:30 AM »
the link is below the video on youtube; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WVS3TZ/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=dtrofishon-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B073WVS3TZ&linkId=1d1560d7559d00738d75290071bb1a1e

for this; KNACRO DC 12V 9-22V Step Down to DC 6V/3A 6V 3A 18W Waterproof DC Buck Converter Voltage Regulator 9-22V to 6V 3A Adjustable Output Power Supply Transformer

your welcome ;)

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:50 AM »
Correct what he is using is a a voltage regulator.  The description of the device in the link refers to it as a voltage regulator and also a voltage transformer which is misleading.   While a voltage regulator transforms a higher DC voltage to a lower DC voltage the term "transformer" is the common term for an AC transformer which will not work in a DC application.  Just wanted to make the difference clear so someone doesn't try this with an AC transformer.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:53 AM »
the link is below the video on youtube; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WVS3TZ/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=dtrofishon-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B073WVS3TZ&linkId=1d1560d7559d00738d75290071bb1a1e

for this; KNACRO DC 12V 9-22V Step Down to DC 6V/3A 6V 3A 18W Waterproof DC Buck Converter Voltage Regulator 9-22V to 6V 3A Adjustable Output Power Supply Transformer

your welcome ;)

This is why it is confusing to the average consumer.  I too am under the understanding that a "transformer" only works with Alternating Current.  Yet right in the sales ad, the device is called a "voltage regulator" AND a "power supply transformer".  No wonder the original poster referred to the product as a "transformer",,,,,,,,,, it is being sold as a "transformer".
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2019, 02:12 PM »
After a 30+ year career as a Professional Electrical Engineer I can state unequivocally that there is no such thing as a DC transformer.
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Honestly I have no idea what it's called, but I can assure you that it works and that it works well.  No doubt I called it the wrong thing.  :) Sorry bout that.

Yesterday I ran it and my flasher for 8 hours straight in 0 degree temps.  I tried once (in otter lodge xth) to turn it on high and I could only stand it for 5 minutes it was so hot. 

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:24 AM »
In case anyone is interested, I put this on a voltmeter and it appears to be pulling about 260 mA.   Should go a long time on a flasher battery.  Probably 20-30 hours depending of course on the size battery you use or what else might be connected to it. 

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Mine came the other day, I'll be doing the mod this afternoon. Can't wait to try it ;D

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2019, 02:29 PM »
For anyone reading this that thinks they can maybe just hook up 12v power and it will run faster or twice the speed.  Yeah... don't try it.  HAHA

I was messing around cleaning up the wiring today and just wanted to try it for a second on 12v.   Instant meltdown. Fan is bricked.  LOL

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2019, 08:42 PM »
Did anyone ever try to put one on the smaller buddy heater?

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2019, 11:48 PM »
I don't think that the smaller buddy has a fan.    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline steve339

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:03 AM »
I'll have to check my heater to see if it has a fan.  If it doesn't, I wonder if there is enough room to add one?

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Great tip !!! I ordered my "voltage regulator" last night.
I put batteries in it my first trip out. I wasn't satisfied with the battery life and never used that feature again.
This solves that issue.The fan is an awesome bonus. Thanks again.    :tipup:

Wyo Ice

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2019, 02:25 PM »
I did this to my small buddy heater but I haven't used it much. That computer fan blows a good amount of air and sometimes it was cold. I thought about adding some type of dimmer switch to slow it down. I have a battery box made from a plastic ammunition box and plug the fan in to that.

jbird68

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:44 PM »
I received my "voltage regulator" yesterday. I installed it today and man that thing rocks !!!
Thanks to all of you guys that had input on this thread. It's the best $ 6.90 I ever spent... 
It took longer to gather all of the tools and other supplies than it did to actually do the task.
Thanks again        :tipup:

Wyo Ice

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2019, 03:57 AM »
For anyone reading this that thinks they can maybe just hook up 12v power and it will run faster or twice the speed.  Yeah... don't try it.  HAHA

I was messing around cleaning up the wiring today and just wanted to try it for a second on 12v.   Instant meltdown. Fan is bricked.  LOL

DTro
Have you looked into how to fix this situation?  I received a step down, tried to install and do not think it was correct and smoked my fan too.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:36 AM »
The only option to replace the original fan is to buy the entire back panel ($25-40).   What I've decided to do is buy a 12v fan from amazon and stuff that one in there instead.  I might have to modify it a bit, but I think it's going to work.  I found a similar style fan for $9.   I'll let you know how it goes.   I have a feeling since it's 12v and has an enclosed shroud, it's probably going to move a little more air. 

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Thanks DTro.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline marquette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:21 AM »
I believe the correct term is DC/DC converter.  They can be adjustable or fixed voltage.  Most small portable electronics use them in one form or another.  I’ve tested a half dozen or so of them for use on a big buddy fan. At the time I was concerned with run time and decided the extra draw from the converter over shadowed using a 6v battery.   That being said if I was looking for 6-10 hrs run time I would go 12v battery and use a converter.

Offline Buttsie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2019, 02:10 PM »
Nice job thanks for the pics

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:17 AM »
I can confirm that the 12v fan I linked above, works great.  The only thing I had to do was trim flush, the molded screw mounts from the stock fan (holes don't line up) then drill 2 holes through the back panel and mount the new fan from the back (screw heads will show).   Then 12v fan seems to move a little more air.  Also, the new 12v fan pulls 160 milliamps.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:18 AM »

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:28 AM »
I noticed on amazon today after I bought the adapter they sell a 12v car adaptor for the fan that plugs in its normal port for only 9.72, Just ordered one, Reviews looked promising. I have a spare 9 amp batttery for the lights i the shack anyway with a 12v socket in it already :-), can't wait to use it.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:53 AM »
DTro-  thanks for the follow up. I’ll get one to replace the original If I ever get back home.
 Work. Work. Work.
I have appreciated your contributions to this forum.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:12 AM »
I noticed on amazon today after I bought the adapter they sell a 12v car adaptor for the fan that plugs in its normal port for only 9.72, Just ordered one, Reviews looked promising. I have a spare 9 amp batttery for the lights i the shack anyway with a 12v socket in it already :-), can't wait to use it.

Yes, if you have a 12v socket, the adapter is probably the easiest way to go. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.