Author Topic: St Paul Ice Fishing Show  (Read 2104 times)

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
St Paul Ice Fishing Show
« on: Sep 25, 2012, 02:54 PM »
Who's going?  Any good places to eat/drink close by?

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: St Paul Ice Fishing Show
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2012, 03:20 PM »
If youre looking for a good sit down place check out DeGidio's (425 7th street west). They make authentic Italian food, and it is very good!
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2012, 03:48 PM »
i ll be there ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2012, 08:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna make the trip down this year.

I am the garbage man it that neck of downtown, so I am VERY familiar with it. There are lots of really great places to eat and tie one on. It just depends on what you are looking for. There is everything from a fancy (expensive) French place, a fancy (expensive) steak house, an AWESOME brew pub, a top notch Italian place, to one of the best burger joints in the metro within a few blocks. Wander off the path just a little and there are two of the best Mexican places north of Texas.

Don't forget about Mickey's dining car too! It's just a couple blocks!

Edit..

Awesome sushi too!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2012, 08:30 PM »
And don't forget that it'll be snowin' like a cow that weekend....every year.  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2012, 08:44 PM »
And don't forget that it'll be snowin' like a cow that weekend....every year.  ::)
  i hope so

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2012, 08:48 PM »

Oh, I know! When we did an Iceshanty booth down there, guaranteed, I wouldn't get home at least one night till 2am due to snow.

EVERY STINKING YEAR... ::)

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2012, 09:24 PM »
I'm seriously considering a drive up this year.  Went a couple years ago with my Son and had a blast.  Lots to see, good speakers, and great buys.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2012, 09:45 PM »
Best part is that it is almost all ice fishing stuff there. Non related booths are mostly ATV/Snowmobile stuff and other ALMOST related to icefishing stuff booths. There were maybe three booths selling windows, kitchen junk, and Bermuda vacations last time I was there.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2012, 09:53 PM »
Sounds like fun, I just might have to make a trip up there. I'll have to see if I canfit it in my schedual. When is it?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2012, 10:06 PM »
November 30th-December 2nd.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2012, 06:29 AM »

I little informational video on the show for those of you thinking about going. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2012, 07:27 AM »
Thanks for the food/drink places. This is my first year going, I'm really excited to check it all out.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2012, 09:06 AM »
Take lotsa moola wit ya!!!!!!!  ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2012, 10:08 AM »
Thanks for the food/drink places. This is my first year going, I'm really excited to check it all out.

If you want directions to any of the places I listed, just let me know. And yeah, bring fat stacks of cash!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2012, 10:57 PM »
Make sure you stop by the MONTANA booth, Booth 639/641, right where you go from main hall to back room.

A Able Fishing Charterrs, Perch Assault tournament and Kalispell, MT Convention and Visitor bureau. Might be some cool stuff ;D

Mike
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2012, 10:59 PM »
Best part is that it is almost all ice fishing stuff there. Non related booths are mostly ATV/Snowmobile stuff and other ALMOST related to icefishing stuff booths. There were maybe three booths selling windows, kitchen junk, and Bermuda vacations last time I was there.

Didn't see any of those window, kitchen, or sunny vacation booths last year. It was really nice!! It did in fact snow though,... and I too am blaming that for why I got back to my room after 2 am. ;D

Offline AlgonaIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 27, 2012, 03:29 AM »
I think this will be my first trip up this year! Does anyone know of hotels that fellow show goers usually stay at, drink at?
Harvesting Walleyes on the East Fork of the Des Moines River

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2012, 08:51 AM »
I booked my room at the Holiday Inn, sounds like there are plenty of places close by or in the hotel itself to quench a thirst.

Offline drunknfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Looking at getting an Otter Lodge this year, just wondering if the savings on a shelter at the show would make it worth the trip from Canada(6hrs)? Was thinking of making a weekend out of it with the old lady but if the savings aren't that susbstantial I'll just order one from the local dealer since nobody around here carries them in stock. thanks

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2012, 10:05 AM »
You guys are so lucky to be close enough to drive. From the east coast it's a three hour flight. :'(

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Looking at getting an Otter Lodge this year, just wondering if the savings on a shelter at the show would make it worth the trip from Canada(6hrs)? Was thinking of making a weekend out of it with the old lady but if the savings aren't that susbstantial I'll just order one from the local dealer since nobody around here carries them in stock. thanks

Last year my buddy bought an Otter on the first day from one of the Vendors selling them.   He bought the following from the same vendor (Otter, sled cover, runner kit, sportsman caddy, and a camera).   So he dropped over 1k but they gave him ~25% off everything, which was better than they were advertising.   If I remember correctly there were about 3 places selling the otter's at the show, checked in/shopped between them and got the best package deal.   They have a nice deal where you can drive directly to the loading docks to pick everything up when you are ready.    This was on the first day Friday, I know good deals can be had on the last day but the inventory is also much less for what they bring.   Most of the places selling at the show you can call them before the show and ask what deals they will have, it will be generic "Ice Show Specials" advertisement when you do this or look at the websites  will be something like 10%/15% off, but know that you can deal with most people if they know you are a buyer.   As they saying goes it never hurts to ask for a better deal.

For you I guess you have to factor in the cost of "declaring" at the border your purchases and paying any import taxes, of course you could stop on the way back up and put a little dirt on the thing or maybe this cost is offset by not paying shipping? 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Sep 27, 2012, 04:56 PM »
I think this will be my first trip up this year! Does anyone know of hotels that fellow show goers usually stay at, drink at?

I booked my room at the Holiday Inn, sounds like there are plenty of places close by or in the hotel itself to quench a thirst.

The Holiday in is just across the street from the Excel Energy/ River Center. I know that one is clean and nice. The only other place that may be a little cheaper but still reasonably close would be the Kelly Inn out on Marion and St. Anthony by the freeway. The St. Paul Hotel is the absolute closest, but it is a $200+ a night type joint. The Crowne Plaza is still super nice, is only a couple more blocks, and you can get in there for around $100 per night.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Sep 27, 2012, 09:39 PM »
this will be my 1st full year of ice fishing
i gotta go!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Sep 27, 2012, 09:45 PM »
I hope they have a "beer sponsor" like Northern Beer was before.... $7.50 beers in plastic bottles from the concession stand is a bit rich for my blood.... ::)

Beer and a microwave cheeseburger for $15 ??? Yeah, good luck with that! ::)

Offline AlgonaIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Sep 28, 2012, 03:09 AM »
Thanks Skipper! 
Harvesting Walleyes on the East Fork of the Des Moines River

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 28, 2012, 07:24 AM »
If you go to the ice fishing show website there is a link, that Holiday Inn has a promotional offer.  I got my room for $110.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Sep 28, 2012, 09:45 AM »
I hope they have a "beer sponsor" like Northern Beer was before.... $7.50 beers in plastic bottles from the concession stand is a bit rich for my blood.... ::)

Beer and a microwave cheeseburger for $15 ??? Yeah, good luck with that! ::)

Oh, stop it!!!! Hot Dogs are only $5 each, and little bags of chips are $3, water is only $2 a bottle!!! $50 in food for the day, $75 for gas, plus hotel, but Ya can maybe save
 $50 or so if ya find the right vendor!!!!  ::) :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
In all seriousness, it is a great show, but don't be expecting too many bargains. This is the season-openeing "Show &Tell" for the vendors to show off their new goodies at the season opening. Marketing strategy dictates dangle that shiny new carrot in front of your nose, and when you see it, you'll buy it there or back home at regular price. I've gone every year with the exception of last year, and big ticket items I couldn't get a break on...Snow suits, boots, fishfinders. A couple of tips if ya want to save some jing..throw a sandwich , chips and pop in a little lunch bag, toss it over your shoulder. Beats the prices for burgers and such like Skipper quoted. I also use the bag to throw the little stuff I buy into it. Best deals to me are on lures and the small ticket items; they will bargain.There's a guy that's usually right across from Northland Jigs, that buys up all their discontinued lures, and sells them cheap. I picked up some Forage fry Minnows in Red and orange that were impossible to find anywhere, at half price. There's also a couple bars/food joints that charge you to park in their lot, but if ya eat there after the show, they apply that towards your tab...... ;D

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 03, 2012, 10:56 PM »
Who's going?  Any good places to eat/drink close by?
:thumbsup:

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 04, 2012, 01:39 AM »
i can't wait for the time when i finally get to go. this year i just don't have the cash for a plane ticket + hotel + anything else.
sucks, but maybe next year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.