The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 8871 times)

Offline Petros

• Team IceShanty Regular
Throwing in the towel
« on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:55 AM »
It’s time to face the reality here in SW PA. Safe ice just ain’t gonna happen😫.

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:09 AM »
I sure hope you are wrong Petros. Although I have taken my towel out of the closet I’m not ready to wave it, just yet.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:14 AM »
South Central isn't looking so good either.  Based on the 10 day that I'm seeing, Black Moshannon might be the only option, and even that's a maybe.  At least until February rolls around...maybe it will be a better month?

A buddy and I are still mulling over the idea to drive up to Tioga County, but that's a big commitment to make to hope that the weather and fish cooperate that weekend.  Fingers crossed for February!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2020, 11:22 AM »
Yeah, the forecast into the first week of February is nothing but 40s.  No ice season for us this year unfortunately.

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2020, 12:18 PM »
I think the fat lady has sung!!! It takes a couple weeks of cold weather or at least a week of frigid weather to make safe ice in western pa. I m no weather man but ive ice fished for 50 years now and I don't see any of the above happening sadly to say some years we get it other years not so much. Heck its the 21st  and predictions aremild thru end of month and early feb no better Just don't see it happening this year.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:19 PM »
 :icefish: :cookoo:
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:52 PM »
Well folks I am way sorry to hear that! I maws getting worried but the cold finally came and we now have great ice and still building! All I can do for y’all is send good thoughts your way! So they are on the way! Hoping y’all can still have a season!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2020, 05:13 PM »
Well, I'm as bummed out about this also but still have hopes. Last year I didn't get on Marsh Creek till Feb 3rd and then the ice only lasted about a week. So my gear is ready and waiting as I keep a positive attitude. I must also add that a trip to Canada is not out of the question in late Feb this year!

Tight Lines everyone!
I have the burning desire to go fishing although I know, that if I never catch another fish, that I have caught enough fish!

Offline icecoldchrome

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2020, 05:21 PM »
Just watched the extended weather for my area and I am throwing in the towel for this year pretty bummed out but o well what can you do

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:40 AM »
Really starting to look like a trip somewhere is in order if I want to fish this year ...

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:22 AM »
Dam global warming

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:56 AM »
Not giving up until April...well maybe March....Maybe end of February...not ready to give up yet! :cookoo:
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Jmorris1082

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:31 AM »
I’m starting to lose faith too, but looking back through my pics from last year our first trip out was in late February. Safe ice didn’t last long, but a few days on the ice is better than none.

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2020, 11:20 AM »
it don't look good

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Im not giving up yet. We have time to gain some ice. I see no huge warm up. Nights below freezing & day time highs in the 40S is not gonna melt any ice. We could end up with 4 -5 " of ice for a short time. I will take it. My new year has not gotten off to a good start. Spent new years in the hospital 6 days total. Got out my 4x4 went & today my brake line blew. My luck has to change & it will with some ice to fish on  :tipup:

Offline andrew10493

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:35 PM »

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:09 PM »
Ct same problem seems to be getting worse every year ready to  just to sell it all

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:47 PM »
I'm not giving up that easy.  Many times it is Jan till we get on the ice in PA and frequently only lasts about 1.5months.  This is PA.  Fat lady has not sung yet, but need to keep her off the ice now so she does not break it ::) ::)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:47 AM »
You just gotta be flexible and willing to drive when we get this weather! I made more trips up to Wayne Co. the last few years than I EVER did! Anything to find safe ice...…………………………………………………..  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:10 AM »
You just gotta be flexible and willing to drive when we get this weather! I made more trips up to Wayne Co. the last few years than I EVER did! Anything to find safe ice...…………………………………………………..  ;)

You are 100% right I live in Western Pennsylvania...I just  got from a 10 day to up State New York....found great ice. I got in  many days on the ice. Had 2 days  with hi winds....I may make  1 more trip in February....what is nice there are many lakes to pick from on  what you want to fish for.   With in  a. 30 min drive .....when on my way home we had a -7... till my next road  trip...

Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:08 AM »
You are 100% right I live in Western Pennsylvania...I just  got from a 10 day to up State New York....found great ice. I got in  many days on the ice. Had 2 days  with hi winds....I may make  1 more trip in February....what is nice there are many lakes to pick from on  what you want to fish for.   With in  a. 30 min drive .....when on my way home we had a -7... till my next road  trip...

While that sounds great (and I really am jealous), unfortunately, not all of us can take 10 days off and drive up there.  I wish getting safe ice was that simple.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2020, 01:19 PM »
While that sounds great (and I really am jealous), unfortunately, not all of us can take 10 days off and drive up there.  I wish getting safe ice was that simple.

Yes I hear you now being retired I’m making up the time that ...I missed when I worked.....and. Nice to have friends where there is ice..... and a place to stay....my buddy’s cabin in the Adirondacks. 

Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:04 PM »
Nice cabin! Retirement has it's advantages.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2020, 02:31 PM »
I started ice fishing on Glendale in 1966.  At that time, and for many years to follow, in mid-Jan there was 20 + inches of ice on the lake.  After I retired in 2013 I started to make yearly excuesions to PA to ice fish.

But I don't anymore.  I cannot justify the time, money, storage space and frustration on the chance that I MIGHT get a few days of safe ice.  So. I gave away/sold all the gear.  Haven't made the trek in four years now.  I still go to PA in June to fish the limestone creeks and Lycoming County.  I used to go in May, but the results of climate change have pushed fishable water ihto June.

If things keep going the way they're going we're all gonna have to take up stamp collectin'.

Be safe, brothers and sisters.  There ain't no fish worth dyin' over...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2020, 02:38 PM »
Before throwing in the towel, check out long term weather and temp forecasts.
We've been having a much-less-than stellar season along some of the east coast, and people wanting to hit the ice have had to drive some distance to find some.
I live on the outskirts on Boston, and have had to drive at least 30-45 minutes north to find ice I would even consider.
Add another 30 minutes to get to one of my favorite spots in Southern NH.

Although the cold is shunned by most, most don't ice fish!
I enjoy the cold, crisp air and the clean air smell during a snow storm. Others look at me (and most of us) like there's something wrong with us.
I disagree!

There's something RIGHT with us.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline treblesandshiners

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2020, 04:10 PM »
its not done yet have faith and patience.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2020, 04:16 PM »
its not done yet have faith and patience.
:whistle: :whistle:

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2020, 05:56 PM »
After all the heay rain we got here in SEPA . The towel might be threw in for the season. As far as the ice conditions go anyhow. I still have hope !!

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2020, 05:58 PM »
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2020, 08:26 PM »
Not throwing towel in yet, uneducated guess we will be on good ice mid-Feb until first of March. At least wishful thinking.
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.