The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: ice gator vs ion  (Read 12386 times)

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
ice gator vs ion
« on: Nov 11, 2013, 07:45 PM »
I watched a video today on this and the gator killed it! I was impressed with the speed of it and nothing but ice cutting sound. Cool
Fishin red lines

Offline Superslabber

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ice gator vs ion
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2013, 08:12 PM »
Icegator with nils is the best auger ever.   Had one of the first ice gators.  It was big piece of crap and customer service just as bad.   When I bought new snobear last year dealer gave me a new icegator with lithium batteries and nils 8".  I was a skeptic after first one , but it is the real deal.  Also have propane jiffy and unless supercold out and want the ten inch hole for extra room due to freezing only use the icegator.   

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2013, 08:31 PM »
I watched video of it with a nils and with a mora. they were smooth for sure! I would like to see a tanaka nils vs an ice gator nils. I have no problem with gas augers or with mixing gas , your putting fuel in anyway not like it is work to put a mix of oil in. I think it is easier then messing with an oil change. However if I went with battery power the ice gator would be seriously looked at. Especially with the new lithium batteries. The weight is cut down so much. Hard to beat my tanaka weight though.
Fishin red lines

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2013, 06:39 AM »
I saw that same video. And while the Gator did cut faster they were not using the same auger.
A real test should have been done using the same exact auger.

I was looking at these two last year as well and went with the Ion.

Here are the reasons:

Battery: Ion 40v Li-Ion vs Gator 29v Li-Ion
Price: Ion is $499 (end of season u can get 25% off) vs Gator ~$750 (Gator Head Li-Ion, 8in Nils Auger, Nils Adapter)
Weight: Ion 21lbs vs Gator 27lbs
Customer Service: Ion Made by Eskimo vs Gator - I have heard nothing but bad things about their customer service.

I have seen pics of a Nils on an Ion as well. I have a 6in mora that slid right onto my Ion as well.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2013, 07:58 AM »
The newest Gator turns 400 RPM.  I can't find those specs on the ION.  That and using identical augers would give you the answer as to which one is faster.  The big plus goes to the ION for the weight difference.  I have a 36V Litium Gator (22 lbs. on the scale) with an 8" Nils auger (another 10 lbs. on the scale)  total 32 lbs.  The ION weighs in at a total of 22 lbs.  Nice!  I think the big difference is in the power-head without the battery.  My power-head, alone goes near 20 lbs.  It's one rugged piece of equipment.  I definitely would go for the weight savings of the ION today.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2013, 08:17 AM »
In the video it looks like the Gator has a higher rpm. But in the grand scheme of things your are getting the same thing with the Ion, it just cuts slower, weighs less, and costs less.

I didnt know the gator made a 36v li-ion head. They only have a 29 listed on their site. Maybe they downgraded to compete with the weight of the Ion..

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2013, 08:55 AM »
In the video it looks like the Gator has a higher rpm. But in the grand scheme of things your are getting the same thing with the Ion, it just cuts slower, weighs less, and costs less.

I didnt know the gator made a 36v li-ion head. They only have a 29 listed on their site. Maybe they downgraded to compete with the weight of the Ion..

Nope - the lithium cells are negligible differences in weight, for the Gator.  I bought my 36v battery pack last fall.  Saved 10 lbs. over the SLA pack I have.  I'm ready to make my Gator for sale and go with the ION and a 6" auger.
I got to think if you used the ION head and a Finbore Micro 6" you get the weight down to maybe 15 lbs.  :P  I just hate going the battery drill route!  ;)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2013, 09:07 AM »
I can tell you that you will need the extender with pretty much any hand auger.

Its just to short without it. If you want to go the absolute lightest way, get that 6in synthetic Strikemaster lazer hand auger.

I put my 6in mora on mine last season with the extender and it was under 20lbs.

I was able to punch 80 holes thru 13inches of ice with battery to spare as well.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2013, 07:59 PM »
I think sm augers work on eskimo as well. They should have put a laser on the ion, I am far more impressed with the gator going from the video but also by watching the ice trollers on icemen when that was still on...They drill more holes than anyone and ran the gators. I am still very glad I bought my tanaka cause at the end of the day it will not run out of juice. I am interested in how the Mora 6" drilled with the ion? I have one for my Tanaka and a Nils.
Fishin red lines

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2013, 08:02 PM »
Dang!! Can someone please post the link to the video?  Thanks!  :)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2013, 08:12 PM »
youtube ice gator auger vs ion
Fishin red lines

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2013, 09:16 PM »
Ok, thanks...
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2013, 11:28 PM »
Dang!! Can someone please post the link to the video?  Thanks!  :)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2013, 04:32 AM »
Yup, thats the same video I saw.

Its a shame they didnt use the same auger on both heads. As any fisherman knows, the the auger half can make a work of difference.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2013, 07:23 AM »
It won't be as fast; since the ION is a lower RPM.  It is too bad they didn't use the same auger though.  Pretty tough to make things even and fair.
You'd almost have to have someone sharpen the auger, drill some holes (say 10 and log the time). Resharpen the auger (same dude with the same sharpening system), drill 10 more holes with the other power head and log the time.  I've seen a big difference between augers of the same make and model; even new from the box they can have a defect or not be sharpened correctly, or cutting angles of the blades slightly different.
That's why I don't make much of the YouTube video comparisons, or the "hearsay" comparisons that get around.
"Heck I can hand auger a hole in the ice faster than any power auger"!   ::)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Yah i think the gator has a faster RPM. But that doesnt make it better.
And with the ion being a good 200-300$ cheaper. ill take the 1-2 seconds longer per hole.

My 6in Mora tears thru the ice on my Ion. I was shocked..

But makes me wonder how much better it would be with a Finbore.
I already have spare blades for the mora, and just got a Strikemaster offset handle that fits it.
So i will be using that for quite some time i think.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2013, 07:57 AM »
Just keep the battery warm.

Buddy of mine has the Ion and regrets it everyday. We consistently fish in the teens/single digits. After drilling your first set of holes, you better but the battery on an inside pocket of your ice suit. He made the mistake of forgetting to do so several times last season and it simply would not drill in 25 degree weather if left on the ice for more than an hour.

And warming up a battery isn't a speedy process after it's been sitting on the ice.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:12 AM »
Just keep the battery warm.

Which is stated in the users manual  =)

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:30 AM »
Have not had the "cold" problem with my ION battery gator.  In fact, I leave it on the ice (actually on the rack on my wheeler) all day.  I always bring it inside at the end of the day and charge it up.  In fact Gator advertises that the batery is insulated and will not be bothered by sub-zero temps..

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:42 AM »
I think that's the main difference. Ion battery isn't insulated.

I made a little cover for my battery last season of reflectex with a windproof/waterproof nylon shell (tent material).
I slip a toe warmer in there to if its really cold.

Online eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:56 AM »
I just got an ION, looking forward to trying it out. Mostly for jigging, for a forest of tip-ups will still use the Tanaka Nils. Bought a second battery from RedRock on sale for $119.99. Having read all the reviews over the last year, as well as the warning in the manual I'll be sure to keep the battery(s) warm. Not that tough IMO.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2013, 09:11 AM »
I think youll find the gas auger will be staying home and the Ion will become your primary. Especially with a spare battery.
You should be able to get 80 holes in feet of ice with the 8in auger on 2 batteries.

Put a 6in auger on there and you can probably get close to 175-200 holes with 2 batteries.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2013, 11:12 AM »
I made a little cover for my battery last season of reflectex with a windproof/waterproof nylon shell (tent material).
I slip a toe warmer in there to if its really cold.

Neat  @)

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2013, 12:22 PM »

My 6in Mora tears thru the ice on my Ion. I was shocked..

I find it amazing the Mora auger is not to great by hand but tears it up on a powerhead. Glad I had adapter made. If the laser is good on the ice gator it has to be good on the ion. wonder why they went with that same double blade on the ion.it is aggressive...I would think the nils or Mora or even ht high velocity hand auger would be better...
Fishin red lines

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2013, 06:49 PM »
I just sold my Gator and bought an ION, so I should be able to compare soon, my Gator worked great, cut very fast, never ran out of battery life,  and always ran. But my back is toast, and the rest of my body is not far behind, I really need a very light auger if I want to keep fishing, so I picked up an ION. $ wise the ION is much cheaper, I got the drill AND a spare bat for $600.00, compare to a Gator/Nils combo, plus the added expense of replacement sharpening/buying replacement blades for the Nils.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:55 PM »
I hope this works out for you so you can keep fishing!
Fishin red lines

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:59 PM »

Yep - I'm right behind him.  ;)

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2013, 04:42 PM »
THANKS!  Another benefit of a light easy to use auger is my boy will be able to use it in a couple of years....

Offline KEYNANOSLLC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Love my ion. Drilled sixty holes eight inches of ice on one charge. Super easy

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:57 AM »
Love my ion. Drilled sixty holes eight inches of ice on one charge. Super easy
so far in past 2 weeks I have drilled over 60 holes with an 8" laser bit thru 22" of ice and have not charged it yet  voltage is still at 26.5 volts   got another weekend coming up... wonder how far it will go!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.