Author Topic: Can this be true???  (Read 1801 times)

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Can this be true???
« on: Feb 07, 2004, 09:55 PM »
Ice fishing tip-ups were designed from a special signal device invented many years ago that was rigged from the coffin to the ground's surface in case someone was buried alive. It was a hollow pole with a rope or chord that led from the casket to a flag or bell at the graveside, so that if the person was buried alive, they could pull the rope and signal someone that they were still alive. It was the caretakers' job to watch over the grave for a few days in case the device was activated. There was even a model rigged with a flare or fireworks, so that if they woke up and pulled the chord, they would set them off and be seen from anyone nearby, or somewhat far away. After a week, they were presumed "really" dead, and the device would be removed.

raleigh

Re: Can this be true???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2004, 10:52 PM »
Well thats preaty interisting eather way, but i have never heard of that, but who knows.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2004, 11:52 PM »
ihave never heard of that ,but that  doesnt mean anything.who knows?well?anyone?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2004, 12:01 AM »
No its not true. Its true that a few folks of substantial means and paranoia did have these type devices made. But they werent common. I`m sure there were plenty of scratched coffin lids though.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

greenhornet

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2004, 05:17 AM »
Ive heard the story about the bell's, hence the term, dead ringer, also heard the caretaker's that had to listen for the bell's called it working the graveyard shift.
Just things ive heard, truth or fiction who knows.

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2004, 06:40 AM »
Well when I'm on the lake, I hope that the fish are trying to prove to me that they are not dead. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2004, 01:00 PM »
I dunno, but it sure is a good idea, I mean for back in the old days...I remember reading a book once, where people being buried alive was quite common, they did'nt have the technology we have today to tell the difference between a deep coma and death....
Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2004, 04:23 PM »
I do believe that it is true. Now you know why it is the law in most states to embalm you. ( or cremate ) Takes all the guess work out of it.  ;D        olds

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2004, 05:53 PM »
What do you do if you get a false flag? Dig him up anyways!!
All I know is if they used this method now my wife would zip tie the flag so it would never trip. DIE you SOB Die!!!
Cold Feet

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2004, 08:31 AM »
F.T.D,I think I seen something like that on the History Channel about a month or so ago.Puts a new meaning to "Dead Ringer" I guess ;D

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2004, 09:48 AM »
ha ha ha I've never heard of that one. It wouldn't surprise me though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.