Author Topic: question on ice flies?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline fzrpilot6

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
question on ice flies?
« on: Feb 07, 2004, 02:39 PM »
Does anyone use nymps, wet flys, or terresterials through the ice.  everyone seems to use scuds, but all i have tied from this summer are a bunch of nymphs and wet flies with these work as droppers?  also need to know how to use these as dropppers, would you tie them directly to the hook of a spoon, jig etc. and leave line and then tie the fly on? thx fzr

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: question on ice flies?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2004, 07:48 PM »
I'll use all the above at one time or another. A friend just reported to me that the jumbo perch on a local lake would only take a black nymph rigged as a dropper above a jig. They were gorged  with some sort of black aquatic.

Jig on bottom / fly 4" to 30" above tied on with a dropper loop.

I have used flies below a pimple or kastmaster on a short lead to varying degrees of success.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

MIgander

Re: question on ice flies?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2004, 03:04 PM »
I've been killin' the gills on a #12 black gnat tied on a dropper loop about 6" above a glow genz worm.  I have some times tipped it with the berkley power grub but only use about a 1/8 inch piece of it.  Plus it helps it suspend in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.