Author Topic: speed freaks on ice  (Read 2044 times)

grumpymoe

speed freaks on ice
« on: Feb 05, 2004, 04:53 PM »
i can't count the number of vehicles i've seen over the years that drive at high rates of speed on the lakes and rivers. does anyone realize that you not only endanger yourself, but other anglers as well. anything over 15 mph is crazy and pushing your luck to the limit??? the wave created in front of any vehicle, including skidoos, is cause for caution. under the right conditions, either you or someone else WILL  go down. what have you seen and have you seen anybody break through??? grump

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: speed freaks on ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2004, 05:11 PM »
i was touge fishing on a local lake and two atvs were racing back and forth up the shoreline and they were really bothering a group of fishermen.i noticed two of the P.O.'d fishermen were chopping away at the ice!so ,me,being the nosy b#%$ard that i am decide to see what was up with them.so I asked "watcha doin?"and they replied we are gonna slow these P$&%ks down!!they were cutting about an 8 foot by 8 foot hole in the ice!!i said i really think thats a bad idea after dark a snowmobile could fall in if he doesnt see it or a million other terrible things kids anyone could fall in they kindly instructed me to mind my own damn business so i left and went straight to a phone and called the state police as i figured it would be the quickest way to stop them and it worked 30 mins later i watched from the boat landing as the state police and a game warden made them rope off the area and they were plenty mad!

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2004, 05:32 PM »
Yea I had some lil b%*#1%! run over one of my traps while fishing norton reservoir last weekend on a snowmobile. All day long they were buzzing within ten feet of our traps. Late in the afternoon he ran over one of my ht polar tipups but didn't break it. >:( They didn't come around after that but stayed over by where the entrance was that I had come in by. On my way out I approached the young rider and started to speak with him about his erratic driving. Then the father comes over yelling at me saying he is going to call the police. I then inform him that I am a police officer and that next time I will file charges against his son for erratic operation and operating to endanger, now the father is so apologetic. I inform him that his son was buzzing our traps all day and finally hit one, that they had the whole lake that was open and if any of us had been struck I would of sued them. Now the father is so apologetic and his son is made to apologize. I find it amazing how if I was not an officer how the parents can justify their son's behavior and I become the bad guy. This is why these morons raise their kids to be just like them ignorant disrespectful morons.   

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2004, 09:07 PM »
Ya know, it would'nt bother me so much if they hit a tip-up on accident, but when you get some jack*ss that gets to your tip-ups, looks directly at you, at guns it, that p***es me off bigtime.  But just like anything else, every sport has its morans....
Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2004, 04:55 AM »
I haven't watch anyone simply break through the ice, but I have seen them sink their snowmobiles while trying to cross open water during the winter. I know a snowmachine can blast over them , but the chickens back off the throttle halfway across and sink it.

Offline hardwater freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • why i icefish
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2004, 05:10 AM »
hey guys up here in maine we like to call those speedfreaks on the ice ORGAN DONORS !!!  you know its a shame that they have no respect for the fisherman and there gear.   fishon dude

zoom

« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2004, 09:19 AM »
i got the best damn thing going for them jacka$$es a potato gun fired into the windshield or helmet when you run out of potatoes use a slush bomb freshly frozen like a rock(caution) these must be fired at the legs so as not to kill someone !!!  ;)!!!ZOOM

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2004, 09:36 AM »
Seen a sled wipe out on Erie once on Brest Bay and clip a shanty doing 45mph.It knocked the whole corner out of the shack.Glad there was'nt anyone in the shanty at the time........

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2004, 01:36 PM »
Saw a guy in an older jeep cherokee out last weekend and for about an hour he was going full tilt back and forth back and forth. At first i thought he was cleaning out the carbon, but quickly realized he was thrill ridin. I would hate to see what happens when the ice cracks and a 6-12 inch pressure ridge forms. His jeep would have turned into a tumbling mess of metal. Anyway maybe his zooming across the hole lake all day was why none of us caught many fish???

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:04 PM »
I am now a firm believer in slow on the ice. Setting on flowage in 20 foot of water and moron in bright red dodge full size 4wd pickup pulling a shany hits the ice and is booking by us doing at least 50. We see the ice rise in front of this guy like some sort of wave and water shoots up a good 6 inches out of our holes. Did I mention he had a full load of firewood in the box and a couple of guys in the cab. This was all on 8 inches of ice that we walked out on. His was the only vehicle on the ice. You could actually see the ice move in front and behind this guy as he roared over it. They stopped 100 yards away and set the shanty and mostly drank all day. How come he did not go in is beyond me. When they left did so again at about 50mph but this time about 35 feet from shore broke through in about 8 feet of water. They got out but PU not so lucky. The wrecker guy said ice gave because of wave hitting the shore ahead of them with a load of energy from their speed. ::)
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2004, 10:18 PM »
Zoom, actually several years back, a yahoo buzzed us with a plane several times.  Buddy fired his potato gun at him, blew a hole through the fuselage, making the plane land.  The owner/pilot called the cops;they showed up and questioned everyone on the ice.  Funny part was, no one new who had a potato gun on the ice.  The cops didn't really seem to put in more effort than was needed to satisfy the @$$h0!* that he should been wiser than to buzz a bunch of icefishermen(women)late on a Saturday!!!  The cop was known to most of us, and knew the pilot.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2004, 04:04 AM »
SOUNDS PRETTY DANGEROUS TO ME :(

Fishmon

« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2004, 02:17 PM »
I had the weirdest thing happen to me on Lake George this year in January.  The ice was mostly clean and very slick.  A guy was out in an ice boat and the wind really got things going and he was flying around at speeds approaching 60mph+.  It was fun to watch as he got the boat up on one runner tacking down the lake for all he was worth.  He would go a couple of miles and come back.  The last time back he lost it in a heavy gust and ran over one of my tipups.  It did not really damage it, but scared the bejesus out of him when the runner caught on the rough ice around the hole.  He skidded for a couple hundred yards and got out.  He was OK and came back to apologize to me despite a nasty cut on his forehead.  He offered to pay for the tipup which I refused since it was OK.  I had some bandaids which helped somewhat, offered him a beer, and shot the breeze for a while.  Can't really say this was a bad experience, but wish I had a video camera.

Offline buckshot

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stepping lightly yet!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2004, 08:00 PM »
Was a couple of gents using a Kawasaki Mule and went through, lucky for them they were only in about 4' of water, but still 150' from shore.  Heard it only took them 6 hours to retrieve the thing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.