Author Topic: ATV Tire Chains  (Read 694 times)

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
ATV Tire Chains
« on: Nov 19, 2015, 07:15 AM »
I am going to pick up some chains for my ATV. Not sure what the best set up is. I see the is ladder style and dimond. ATV  is a 4x4 do I need front and back or just back? Any brand to stay away from?  Any insight would be appreciated.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
Re: ATV Tire Chains
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2015, 07:31 AM »
Most manufacturers recommend only putting them on the rear tires.  I would look at 2 link spaced or the diamond pattern.   Deflate the tires down to 2-3 lbs install the chains and re-inflate.  This will get the chains on good and tight.

http://www.tirechain.com/ATVChains.htm

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2015, 08:06 AM »
I agree rear only, the ATV will be darn near unstoppable anyway. Please check carefully that you have adequate clearance for the chains, especially on the inside of the wheels. My chains hit the brake adjuster wing nuts on my Bayou. I had spacer discs added and now everything fits fine.
After I deflate and install the chains I use some electric fence wire to tie the loose end of the links to the side chains so they aren't flailing around.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Diamond studded on the back, two link vbar on the front if you don't have a poo with strut suspension. I have heard told that with nothing on the front steering can be an issue on glare ice. Tirechains.com

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2015, 08:19 AM »
Ya I run them on front and back. Rear only on glare Ice would bring need some new undies-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2015, 09:56 AM »
I use them on the rear only. Didnt have a problems on erie. Didnt need to use the four wheel drive or the diferential lock.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2015, 01:05 PM »
Diamond studded on the back, two link vbar on the front if you don't have a poo with strut suspension. I have heard told that with nothing on the front steering can be an issue on glare ice. Tirechains.com

nice job on the trailer :thumbsup:

SnoHam13

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2015, 01:15 PM »

Didnt need to use the four wheel drive or the diferential lock.

Then you prolly didn't need the chains either-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2015, 01:29 PM »
I'm a first time 4x4 user for the ice last year and threw chains on the back...with the four wheel drive activated and chains, I had no problems what so ever.  But, I do have a soft rear tire now  ???  Not sure if it was caused by having chains on last year or not...I believe I may have over inflated when I put air back in and caused a small puncture?  Slow Slow leak. 
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:21 PM »
Used to ride my quad Honda 400ex on the ice all the time and I never bought chains.   Made my own set of studded tires using 1/4 hex head screws like these.

It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.