Author Topic: CJ  (Read 4157 times)

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
CJ
« on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:45 AM »
With the warming weather we all know its only a matter of time before the ice is gone from CJ and we are all going to be stuck driving all the way to Magic or Cascade to get on some hard water.  That being said lets think about something for a second.  Ice always melts from the shore out towards the center of the lake so common sense tells me that i should drive a 600lb 4wheeler across the weak ice because I am too lazy to walk 200 yards out to where I will be fishing.  Yup that makes sense.  In case anybody hasnt caught on I am being sarcastic at this point and would like to thank the lazy idiots who broke all the ice up at the bottom of the ramp at cottonwood yesterday.  You know who you are.  There is now about 5 feet of water to cross before you can get on the ice so bring your planks and such. 

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: CJ
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:32 AM »
While we're airing out dirty laundry, I have another complaint.

People need to use a little common sense when parking at the Sugarloaf boat ramp @ Cascade. 2 times now I've been blocked in by other vehicles and it makes it a pain in the rear to figure a way out of there. I know I'm not the only one because I've talked to others who had the same problem. It's mainly the people who get there later in the morning to find the parking lot full. Instead of finding a different place to park, they park behind the vehicles already there. It's tough to load the quad back on the trailer when another rig is parked directly behind mine. Next time I'll snap pics of vehicles and plates to post up, Maybe start a "shame" post. Haha.  ;)

Best fishes,
Andy

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:39 AM »
World is full of morons...
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline gillis11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:54 AM »
Unfortunately over the past five years I have seen a steady increase in the number of people on the ice, which is good for the local economies, but it also means that some of them are going to be idiots without the common sense or decency to think of others. I see this type of action all to often when I fish for salmon and steelhead That was one my favorite things about ice fishing was that everyone seemed to be nice and look out for the other guy. I like the idea of a board of shame, maybe it will get them to remove their heads from their southern most orifice.

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:06 AM »
On the plus side now that there is all that open water at the ramp there will no longer be 4 wheelers constantly buzzing around the ice, doing donuts and just all around ruining the silence. 

Offline chummin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Don't tempt them... they might get creative and figure out a way to do it just to piss you off now.

Offline mooseymo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2013, 12:10 PM »
I think the guys with atv's are freakin geniuses.  Most of them that I've seen anyways have kids and alot of stuff. I  know when i brought my child out and all the stuff to keep her comfy I was wishing I had been smarter and brought my atv instead of making 3 trips on foot on slick ice 400yds one way and up hill both ways.  Lets look at circumstances before we bash people first.  Ice fishing is a peaceful activity but all I hear on ice shanty is bashing other people.  Have fun I'm sure this isn't the first time any of us had to use a plank to get on ice before.
sick days are for fishing!

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2013, 01:02 PM »
kids or not when the ice is melting there is no need to ride a 4 wheeler across ice that is already iffy.  Is your childs enjoyment of the day more important than everyone elses on the lake? I think not.  Folks need to quit being lazy and walk....PERIOD

Offline mooseymo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2013, 01:09 PM »
Actually yes my childs enjoyment is more important then everyone elses any parent that says otherwise is a liar.  One the ice is not as iffy as you make everyone believe, two if five feet of open water along the edges is going to ruin your day I'm sure there is other things enjoyable to do. 

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2013, 01:14 PM »
well sir you are selfish.  I have a child myself and I care more for him than anything else in the world but I would never show him that we are more important than anybody else when it comes to something like this.  That is what I call bad morals and just bad practice all together.  There are plenty of other places to get on the ice still so the water is not going to ruin anything.  I was simply stating that idiots on wheelers ruined the ice at the ramp.  I am anything but unpleasant most of the time but when people disregard the well being of others like this it gets me fired up.  I am done with this now.  I bid you good day.

Offline mooseymo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2013, 01:27 PM »
I'm selfish because my child takes priority??? And your quoting morals???  You sir are mixed up.  Is it possible that maybe the person who used there atv had no idea that they were going to crack through the ice near the ramp and if they had known they would have reconsidered? Is it possible that just the foot traffic had caused the ice to break away? 

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2013, 01:39 PM »
It was most definatly not foot traffic that caused it to break.  I had just crossed it a few hours prior and it was solid.  Then after 2 wheelers came out it broke off a huge chunk that was about 5 inches thick.  Unless there was an extremely fat fella that walked across I seriously doubt it was foot traffic.  Its pretty much common sense when you see water at the bottom of the ramp that the ice is not thick enough to ride your wheeler onto it.  Also on the day in question it was 2 middle aged guys riding the wheelers with no children present so it was pure laziness and that is all.  I am not trying to attack you personally I am just making a general statement that folks should not be riding out on CJ anymore.  Earlier in this thread you stated "Ice fishing is a peaceful activity but all I hear on ice shanty is bashing other people"  I disagree about that.  The only times I have raised a stink on here was when I found a pile of crap on the ice within a few hundred yards of a bathroom and then this situation.  Even with this little spat or rant or whatever I am still not pissed or bashing anybody.  I am just upset at how folks could give a hoot less about other folks.  Guess I was just raised differant

Offline mooseymo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2013, 01:48 PM »
I was raised to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.  To post its not safe for atv anymore is responsible.  But to disrespect them without knowing there circumstances.  Maybe those middle aged guys have collapsed arches lol no likely but who's to say they dont

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Ok Guys,

We all agree that there are some pretty ungracious folks around. Not just ice fishing, it's the norm now. I also understand the need to vent once in awhile. Most of mine is in my rig when I'm by myself...LOL. There have been some awesome points made in this discussion about respect, parenting, caution and understanding.

Andy, do you think it would help if we talked to state park rangers at Cascade to see if we could put up a sign stating something about sensible parking? I would give it a shot if you think it would help.

As far as the atv's ruining the peacefulness on the ice...I too like a quiet day out. However, it must be considered that those who own atvs, snowmobiles etc. have every bit as much right to be there as we do...noisy or not. Think back to open water on a good crappie year at CJ. I've personally seen as many as 75+ boats in one half of the narrows. Some of them are disrespectful too.

The best way to be assertive yet non-confrontational is to set the example and share in a positive manner. Any of you who have ice fished with me know that I will ask "if I fish here is it too close?" Not wanting to intrude on your area.

You all have intelligent minds. The best way solve problems is being proactive, not reactive.

I also know that we all raise our children differently...doesn't mean any one way is right or wrong....just different. I would hope we can leave any future dialogue in those regards out of such discussions in the future. I don't think there was any intentional personal attacks...but it just didn't sound good.

This is just like I said in the discussion about the jumbos in Cascade...we who care have to educate, by both teaching and example. And we must always, always, always remember that there are those out there who just don't care....Do not give them anymore of your emotional and mental energy than they are worth, and use all proper and legal means to try to keep them in check. Just sayin...

Hogger

Offline KunaFrmr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Well stated icehogger.  So guys, lets give it some time to cool down and discuss the current conditions on CJ.  Is the ice still reasonably safe, say out there 200 - 300 yards?  Just curious because I'd like to fish it at least one more time before heading to Cascade this year.

By the way, you guys think that you have problems with people and 4 wheelers.... The Chief said since he's laid up with his new knee, he's brewing up with some Native American concoction of sweet grass and sage smoke to send evil spirits and non biting fish to me.  Heck I think it's working!! :-\

Hogger, have you been out on Cascade this year yet?  I may go up on Monday by myself.  I'm just not too sure on the ice conditions and/pressure ridges. 

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Besides a little open water around shore there is still at least 10 inches away from shore

Offline mooseymo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:02 PM »
Went out to take a look at the lake about 6 inches of water between shore and ice and no water on top

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:14 PM »
Hey Frmr,

Yep...the ice is good at Cascade (and that report is 1 day old) 15-16". 2" snow on top, the edges look as though the had softened up at some point. They are solid now. Good luck Buddy!

Hogger

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:47 PM »
lets all just get along like always do and be courteous too everyone..... even if there not on the same page.... ;D
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline KunaFrmr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Thanks for the report(s) guys.  I thought about heading to CJ tomorrow, but from the looks of the weather reports, it might be a typical windy CJ day.  Looks like 10 - 20 mph winds. 

Well, hopefully the ice will hold up for a few more days.   If not, I'm heading up to Cascade either Monday or Tuesday to see if I can pick up a few of those ol'Jumbo Perch.  From the sounds of it, I may have to bring along my best 'secret fishing weapons'!  Oh wait....those didn't work the last time either! :-\

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:14 PM »
I for one have always been fond of atv's on iffy ice. How else will I know when the ice isn't safe yet/anymore! I think ATVs have a time and place, but I would agree they are often a convienient excuss to enable lazy and stupid.
Jesus was an ice fisherman...

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:36 PM »
Lazy maybe ? Stupid , STUPID is walking when you could ride . Noise  ? My auger is twice as loud as my 4 wheeler . I am old and have bad knees . And pull a shanty and a sled behind that to get all of my stuff to where I want to fish . As for tearing up the ice  near shore . Do you blame mother nature when spring comes and you can no longer get on the ice ? Curt G.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline onelastdrift

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:45 PM »
so do you think i could get out on c j strike ice with a plank and be safe? lots of holes out there. how thick is the ice 3 -400 yards out? thanks in advance.  hey maybe the 4 wheeler guy was disabled. cant we all just get along? 3 days ago i was at c j.  a guy was fishing off the end of the boat dock in the 1 foot deep open water. i was leaving so i told him where the fish were biting and gave him some bait.  lots of newbies out there. 99 percent of the people i met were very friendly,glad to share ideas and even gave me a small perch to get srarted with cut bait. i met no grumps. had a great day and want to go back but not sure if the ice is safe a ways out.  anyone?

Offline Iceflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never be late for. Church, Work, and Fishin.
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:05 PM »
Well...I was out there (CJ) on Monday the 4th and I measured 8" - 9" of ice about 150 yards from shore.  I was so pleased and encouraged by that discovery I've decided to camp out Friday evening on the ice with my boys and fish all day Saturday.  I'll be sure to let you know what the conditions are.

BTW - I haven't posted for a very long time.  I've been busy with life and school...which is to say, "my OTHER life".  I'll try to do better about posting more often.

Dave. ;D

Offline onelastdrift

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: CJ friday and saturday check weather
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:44 PM »
severe weather alert for friday and saturday. snow and wind.hope the campers have a good place to camp. intellicast.com has a very good weather site with hourly reports for 3 days. gives wind speed and temperature.also chance of snow.

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:45 PM »
Curt69 - case in point: you have a medical need to justify use of an atv. I wouldn't say you are lazy or stupid. I'd say you are justified. You are the guy that isn't the issue. I would agree that the atv used to get from point a to point b on a lake like Cascade, thats warrented. I'll prefer to walk the 3-5 miles one way to my hole, because I can!
Jesus was an ice fisherman...

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:51 PM »
Cyclo,

I walked over 5 miles on the ice yesterday...on accident...LOL. I can yes, but would've done an atv or snowmachine if I could've. The exercise was great...but because of my poor planning...it cut into my fishing time by more than 3 hrs.

I understand the frustration some inconsiderate individuals can cause on these machines. However, I also believe discretion must be used when we start throwing labels around i.e. lazy or stupid. There are unfortunately some individuals in our society who make it fairly obvious that they don't care about the next guy. But unless that is blatantly apparent or unless we personally know the individual prudence must be taken before we judge. 

Curt has a good point. Guys like Perchmasterson can take a couple of rods and a hand full of bait and have great success nearly everytime. But some of us for whatever reason choose to haul more than some because it's what makes us comfortable on the ice. My extra long excursion with a loaded sled yesterday may have seen a little overkill until the pull cord on my auger broke and by some careful planning...had my hand auger with me. Extra weight for the long walk? Yes...but it was needed and handy. Guess I'm just rambling now.

But if many of you ever see me in the summer with my biker 'stache and tattoos you may judge me wrongly and that would be errant on your part because I like to think of myself as kind of a nice guy....just saying labels for other people need to be used with discretion...

Hogger

Offline Iceflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never be late for. Church, Work, and Fishin.
Re: CJ friday and saturday check weather
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:26 AM »
severe weather alert for friday and saturday. snow and wind.hope the campers have a good place to camp. intellicast.com has a very good weather site with hourly reports for 3 days. gives wind speed and temperature.also chance of snow.

Thanks for the heads up.  I was hoping that the weather was going to be a bit more accommodating because my friend is coming with us and he's bringing his 8yr old son as well.  I'm not too worried about me and my own but I will be watching pretty closely my friend and his gear.  I'll bring some extra stuff just in case.

AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!  Glad to see you here.

Dave  ;D :tipup:

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:59 AM »

But if many of you ever see me in the summer with my biker 'stache and tattoos you may judge me wrongly and that would be errant on your part because I like to think of myself as kind of a nice guy....just saying labels for other people need to be used with discretion...

Hogger

I ask if you had a beer you could spare..... cuz I drank all mine already.... ;D
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline mhfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:49 PM »
I generally use my 4wheeler to drag my gear out.  I do this for two reasons; first would be to get my away from where most of the people are massed up, and second is to get my lines in the water as soon as possible.  Open water I am the same way, I have a procraft bass boat that I use every bit of throttle heading out to my fishing area (of course slowing down when I am coming up on other boats fishing in the river).  I wouldn't call it being lazy, just using what they have to to make it more efficient.  Its no good these people made it more difficult to get on the ice but these things happen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.