Author Topic: Underwater Cameras  (Read 22196 times)

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
Underwater Cameras
« on: Jan 17, 2012, 02:14 PM »
What is, hands down, the best underwater camera? I want to know everyone's honest opinions. I'm not worried about the money yet but I'm thinking about upgrading from my fishtv. Which camera has all the bells and whistles for fishing for perchin' and walleye fishing.  Is there a camera out there yet that actually does a good job at night? I am interested in a panning or one with multiple cameras.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline Miamiboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Underwater Cameras
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:20 PM »
depends what you want it for. if your going to be taking videos at night none that i know are high quality at night. I personally have the olympus tough. i actually have 2 of them. i bought the one that first came out. great camera ive taken it diving, it fallen multiple times, the thing is a trooper. the oldr one is much more user friendly than the newer ones. they are much harder to navigate but have great quality and shoot excellent hd video. the olympus ranges any where between 200 and  300 depending on the model. but another one up in the market is the go pro cameras. there pretty sick much more expensive but i herer they are awesome and there are a million ways to uses them. they are small can be latched on to a hat, boat, shirt etc. hope this helps

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:54 AM »
Check out the Marcum website they have very nice ones. I think more what you are looking for, not something to take under the ice scuba diving.

Offline Gonly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:33 AM »
I have tried several Marcum, Aqua-Vu and Cabela's. The Marcum went back right away because it was bad  once the sun started setting and the particale reflection was terrible. None of them are really great when the sun starts to set. The Aqua-vu is not bad but I prefer the Cabelas flat screen color and reach for that one when ever I go out. It was cheaper then the Aqua-vu and the Marcum. I read alot of complants about folks out west unable to use them because of water clearity plays a big part on the type of picture you see on the screen. I think they have darker or dirty lakes out west. The one thing with the cabelas camera is you need to unplug the battery connection when not using it or it drains the battery. I waited till they went on sale or clearance before buying any of these cameras. There just cheap chinese built products why pay top dollar. We need jos in this country.    I have been wanting for one of those new Vex Cameras but 500 to 600 dollars  it better be a supper picture for that price. Any body have one yet.

Offline badger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2012, 10:04 AM »
i find my cabelas camera spooks fish they come in and hang out but no catch pull it out and bingo im jigging them up

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2012, 11:15 AM »
I bought a "Weed EZ" artificial weed thing you wrap around your camera cable to camouflage it, so not to spook fish with the camera. I don't know if they went out of business or not? You might still find it around someplace, it was made to put on your camera cable.

I found it here.
http://www.amazon.com/Reel-Weeds-Camera-Cable-Structure/dp/B002AQZ9QC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1326907017&sr=1-1

Offline Gonly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2012, 02:17 PM »
I used extra artifacial plants you get from the pet shop and moss from Walmart and that might be why my Cabelas camera does not spook fish.

Offline t.adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2012, 03:58 PM »
artificial camoflague works great and cheapest from pet store

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:10 PM »
 I bought the Aqu view micro. The picture is great and it fits in to the pocket of my coat. Its kind of like carrying another cell phone. I have not tried it at night yet so I cann't really say anything about that. The camera is the size of a quarter and the cord is the dia. of 50lbs test line. The screen size is only 3.5" but its the size of the whole unit that sold me. I never took my Marcum with me because it was so big and a pain to use. This I just take it out of my pocket and put it down the hole and take a look around. I'm sure its not perfect for everyone but works for what I wanted. I have had both Marcum 625VS and a Cabelas cameras,and I will say the Marcum is the better of the to cameras. I have yet to see the Vex cameras so I'm no help there.
 Matt

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2012, 12:50 AM »
Marcum has the best picture of any that I`ve seen. Best specs equals best picture at least in the case of underwater cameras. Marcum wins hands down.
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:12 AM »
I checked out some videos of that Aqua vu micro on the Aqua vu website, man does that thing look awesome. The reason I hardly ever bring my big aqua vu is the size of it to lug around. That thing fits in your pocket. I just added something else to my wish list.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:40 AM »
The Marcums have the best picture. Go to your local sportshop and look at the pictures side by side from the different manufacturers and you will see the difference. I currently own a Cabela's camera, next purchase will be the Marcum. I always use 4' of fake weeds on the camera and have walleyes come right up to it. Never had a problem catching fish as long as the camera was camoed up good. I made my own fake weeds with stuff bought from a pet store. Actually have fish hang out in the weeds at times and block my view! ;D

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Walleye tend to spook from cameras, perch and bluegill don't seem to be bothered by them. I have a Marcum 825sd and think it is a great unit. The last aqua-views I have had were not very good. The camera cables got a short in them where they entered the camera housing.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:32 AM »
The thing is if I had one that fit in my pocket I would use it all the time, the big camera I find I hardly use it anymore unless 1. I can drive out with my truck hauling a bunch of stuff isn't so bad, or 2. I am looking for something specific like a crib. Otherwise hauling the flasher and buddy heater are my main concern, along with minnow bucket, bucket of rods reels, etc. pretty soon you need a pack mule to haul all your stuff out on early ice.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2012, 05:05 PM »
I'm guessing that in the next year or two Marcum will add a camera to their LX 7.  It already has the LCD.

Offline BBBnTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:55 PM »
I am using a marcum vs825sd,fished on lk tomahawk in northern wi Oneida county,granted it is a very! clear lk

13" of ice 6" of snow no sun, I had color all the way to 35' working with the lx7 I caught plenty of crappies it was cool to see particles float by in the water and see them on the lx7 at the same time .

I found a weed line in 15 fow with cam to set tip ups saw some big pike,

All and all the marcum cam has worked great for me, I also use reel weeds on the cable it does not seem to scare any fish, had wallys swim threw sniffed around for few min and kept on swimming,with out biting.

Other than the cost 599.00 at redrock I don't regret buying it one bit!!!

great fishing everyone......... :tipup:

Ben..................

Offline Eztiaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to fishing
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2012, 10:16 PM »
I am using a marcum vs825sd,fished on lk tomahawk in northern wi Oneida county,granted it is a very! clear lk

13" of ice 6" of snow no sun, I had color all the way to 35' working with the lx7 I caught plenty of crappies it was cool to see particles float by in the water and see them on the lx7 at the same time .

I found a weed line in 15 fow with cam to set tip ups saw some big pike,

All and all the marcum cam has worked great for me, I also use reel weeds on the cable it does not seem to scare any fish, had wallys swim threw sniffed around for few min and kept on swimming,with out biting.

Other than the cost 599.00 at redrock I don't regret buying it one bit!!!

great fishing everyone......... :tipup:

Ben..................

I am
Using the same unit and it's absolutely Amazing and the panner comes with the purchase. Has optional lighting for fishing in darker water which is great. Tells U depth and temperature as well
As camera orientation. If you want to see a good clip of the camera in action watch in depth outdoors at devils lake. They are fishing for huge perch using the marcum 825 sd
I would way rather be fishing

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2012, 09:02 AM »
Mine is the older Aqua-Vu MC series with the red & green LED's. It works very well in low light but as light fades the screen looks more light the opympic version of ant racing. When I turn on the lights it lights things up very nicely but that light attracts plankton like a porch light attracts bugs on a hot summer night. Very soon all you'll see is plankton so you need to drop an underwater light to view wthout seeing all the plankton. With the light three to five feet above the camera (that I run off of a separate 7V sla battery) all is good and clear down there. The crappies don't suspect a thing.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2012, 12:46 PM »
I have a Vexilar double vision and i use the camera quite a bit and it works great..It has a good picture and watching them in color is cool..I think it is worth every Pennie
FISH ON

Offline BBBnTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2012, 02:23 PM »
The vexilar dv looks like an awesome unit !! glad it is working well for you !! it is so new there are very few reviews for the system.....when I was researching cameras most of the info was on marcum,so that is the rout I went.

I used it today on the three lks chain medium dark water had 13" of ice and probably 6" of snow overcast,I had NO color what so ever but using the lights I scoped out a log pile I catch crappies at suspended 26' fow, lots of particles in water but still a very good picture probably 2-3' of visibility saw plenty of fish,baits,line,just a lot of fun.

There are some of the marcum guys saying they may or should put a cam in the lx7 considering it already has the LCD screen. always the same story with electronics ,something better next year.......

great fishing to everyone .............. :tipup:

Ben............

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.