Author Topic: 8" blades on 7" auger?  (Read 3326 times)

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
8" blades on 7" auger?
« on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:58 AM »
Question for you auger guys, will 8" Mora blades fit and work on a 7" blue Mora/Strickmaster auger?  Does it cut differently, better/worse?  Will the flights still pull the shavings out of the hole?  Thinking about trying it and was wondering if anyone out there has done it before.  Thanks

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: 8" blades on 7" auger?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:27 AM »
On the older moras they work.they are both the same auger bit.newer moras i heard last year are not interchangeable anymore.red handle yes.black and red handle no.i havent tried it on my newer moras but swap 7” and 8” blades all the time on my old mora.there was a thread mentioning new moras blades not interchangeable anymore.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Yes older mora 7" & 8" blades both fit on 7" auger flights. 7" cuts 7 3/8" hole. I modified the blades a bit both cut 28" of ice in 17 seconds on the Eskimo Mako 43. Bit slower on my M18 fuel 1200ip. and Mud Mixer.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:36 PM »
8" will fit on 7" augers, 7" will not fit on 8" augers anymore. Reason being is the new 8" augers have a 7.5"ish dia flighting whereas the old 8" augers had 7.25"ish flighting.

7 fits on 7
8 fits on 8
8 fits on 7
7 no fit on 8

Only true on newish blue augers, I think post 2016? or maybe 2014
EYECONICFISHING

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2019, 06:49 PM »
Thanks guys!

I bought a new 8" Mora auger at Cabelas (East Hartford) in December 2018 and it had 7" diameter body. 1 think someone somewhere is blowing smoke.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:21 PM »
So here is another question.  What would happen if you put chipper blades off a 8" Eskamo Stingray onto a Blue Mora/Strikemaster shaver auger?  Would it still cut?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:02 PM »
So here is another question.  What would happen if you put chipper blades off a 8" Eskamo Stingray onto a Blue Mora/Strikemaster shaver auger?  Would it still cut?

I have a 10in mora, and since blades were hard to find, I put a pair of HT polar fire shaver/chipper blades on it. It cut fine, but the blades were to aggressive for my 1200in/lb Milwaukee. It would cut 2-3 holes in 24in of ice, then the protection circut would shut it down. Found a couple sets of 10in mora shaver blades for it, and the Milwaukee cuts fine with it, but it works the drill fairly well.

So has long has the bolt holes line up, a person should be able to do it. It will just turn a bit harder.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:58 PM »
Not sure if the quantum blades would line up with the hole pattern. Would probably cut like an eskimo though, the blades do the cutting so there shouldnt be any difference. That is if the angle of the blade support is the same of course.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Hey Guys....I've got some thoughts and/or questions on a couple of the topics being discussed here.

1) I also recently bought an 8" Mora to use on my Milwaukee 1200# M18 Fuel/Clam Plate combo....I was previously trying to use an 8" hand Lazer I already owned, but also found that to often the drill's protection circuit was kicking off...mainly when i got to the lower half of the hole, or later in the season when more softer ice or slush is being dealt with.  I read elsewhere to do a couple full discharges on the M18 batteries to recondition them, but it looks like that didn't fully solve the problem.  I hoped the slightly less aggressive Mora would keep the protection circuit from happening.   Initial drilling seemed to indicate it was a good compromise. Unfortunately a new issue came out of using the new 8" Mora I wasn't expecting.  I also noticed they hung 8" blades on what appears to be the 7" Mora auger bit.  I initially thought this would be a good compromise...save some weight and still get an 8" hole.  Unfortunately what was happening to frequently is when the 8" blades hanging off the sides of the smaller auger bit punched through, they never cleaned out the rest of the hole diameter's ice....I was constantly going back with a small ice bar or the end of a skimmer handle to chip out the chunks leftover.  I'm assuming that if the blades were hung on a true 8" auger bit, when you lower the bit, it must push off these leftover chunks? I've never had this happen before in all  my years of using hand augers or augers on the clam plate when the blade size matches the auger bit.  I'm rethinking my next move by either finding an 8" Mora that comes with a true 8" auger (if they even still offered it at some point), or looking at getting Eskimo's "shaver" style 8" hand auger.  Unfortunately i know that Eskimo uses the China blades, where the Mora had the quality non China blades.  My other option I'm thinking is note #2.

2) I was thinking of adding some equally layed out notches to my 8" Lazer blades.....not to try and turn it into a "chipper" style blade, but to remove some of the aggressiveness off the Lazer blade.  I see Pappadarv did this in his picture.....maybe not for the same reason I would do it.  I wouldn't normally take a chance and butcher my 8" Lazer blades, but I know I will never use it again as a hand auger......I have 6" and 7" Lazers as needed.  Pappadarv, how did the notch idea work out in the end?  Do the notches create a more aggressive 'Chipper" style blade, or do they take the aggressiveness out of a Lazer blade?

Sorry for being long-winded, but I'm at a fork in the road in my head.

Thanks  for all thoughts you guys can add.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:03 PM »
my mora leaves  a few chunks in the hole if I put to much downward pressure.blowing out the bottom of the hole.lift up a tad before break thru.the mora 7" and 8" bits are identical except the 8" blades extend out more compared to  the 7" blades.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:48 PM »
Great contribution Rickwalley!  I never realized that Milwaukee Fuels had the "cut out" problem also.  I'm kinda in the same boat.  I was going to make a new 8" shaver for next year with my existing 7" Mora.  Was going to cut the auger in half and use the bottom half with 8" blades then adding an aluminum extension to give me a little better reach.  But now I'm thinking of going with a full 8" auger.  Still can't decide between the Mora or Lazer style.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:02 PM »
I think some of you are missing the point.  A brand new (at least when I bought mine) 8" mora will come with a 7" diameter auger and 8" blades.  I am not aware of an 8" diameter mora auger.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:29 PM »
I think some of you are missing the point.  A brand new (at least when I bought mine) 8" mora will come with a 7" diameter auger and 8" blades.  I am not aware of an 8" diameter mora auger.

That was the case, but they changed the design and increased the diameter of the flighting to wider than the 7" blades to help with slush removal.. Late 2014 I think it was. So now 7" blades will still bolt to an 8" mora but it won't cut because the flighting is too big
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Hey Guys....I've got some thoughts and/or questions on a couple of the topics being discussed here.

1) I also recently bought an 8" Mora to use on my Milwaukee 1200# M18 Fuel/Clam Plate combo....I was previously trying to use an 8" hand Lazer I already owned, but also found that to often the drill's protection circuit was kicking off...mainly when i got to the lower half of the hole, or later in the season when more softer ice or slush is being dealt with.  I read elsewhere to do a couple full discharges on the M18 batteries to recondition them, but it looks like that didn't fully solve the problem.  I hoped the slightly less aggressive Mora would keep the protection circuit from happening.   Initial drilling seemed to indicate it was a good compromise. Unfortunately a new issue came out of using the new 8" Mora I wasn't expecting.  I also noticed they hung 8" blades on what appears to be the 7" Mora auger bit.  I initially thought this would be a good compromise...save some weight and still get an 8" hole.  Unfortunately what was happening to frequently is when the 8" blades hanging off the sides of the smaller auger bit punched through, they never cleaned out the rest of the hole diameter's ice....I was constantly going back with a small ice bar or the end of a skimmer handle to chip out the chunks leftover.  I'm assuming that if the blades were hung on a true 8" auger bit, when you lower the bit, it must push off these leftover chunks? I've never had this happen before in all  my years of using hand augers or augers on the clam plate when the blade size matches the auger bit.  I'm rethinking my next move by either finding an 8" Mora that comes with a true 8" auger (if they even still offered it at some point), or looking at getting Eskimo's "shaver" style 8" hand auger.  Unfortunately i know that Eskimo uses the China blades, where the Mora had the quality non China blades.  My other option I'm thinking is note #2.

2) I was thinking of adding some equally layed out notches to my 8" Lazer blades.....not to try and turn it into a "chipper" style blade, but to remove some of the aggressiveness off the Lazer blade.  I see Pappadarv did this in his picture.....maybe not for the same reason I would do it.  I wouldn't normally take a chance and butcher my 8" Lazer blades, but I know I will never use it again as a hand auger......I have 6" and 7" Lazers as needed.  Pappadarv, how did the notch idea work out in the end?  Do the notches create a more aggressive 'Chipper" style blade, or do they take the aggressiveness out of a Lazer blade?

Sorry for being long-winded, but I'm at a fork in the road in my head.

Thanks  for all thoughts you guys can add.

Sounds like your lazer blades were getting dull. If you have the 1200in/lb Milwaukee it sould turn it no problem.

Chipper blades take MORE touqre then shaver blades not less.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:49 PM »
That was the case, but they changed the design and increased the diameter of the flighting to wider than the 7" blades to help with slush removal.. Late 2014 I think it was. So now 7" blades will still bolt to an 8" mora but it won't cut because the flighting is too big

Gotcha.  Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2019, 09:50 PM »
So to make things easy.....if you are buying a new mora hand auger....get the 7in auger.

That way you can still put 8in blades on it and make it an 8in auger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.