Author Topic: Flasher, Sonar  (Read 2400 times)

Offline lech

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher, Sonar
« on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:03 AM »
I wanna purchase one of these electronics. I'm not familiar how they exactly work. Can somebody with experience explain  how they really work and give me recommendation which one to buy probably Marcus or Vexiliar. Anybody with advice I will be thankful.

Offline Chrisper4694

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flasher, Sonar
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:29 AM »
imo, just get an ice transducer for your boat unit and use that.  I just attach my helix 7 to the sled.  no point in an ice specific sonar for NJ if you ask me.

idk if you can see it too well in this picture but that's what i do.  I'll see if i have a better pic of the set up.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Entry level humming bird fishing buddy.Can use on boat kayak and ice.Then marcum lx7.Awesome unit with all the bells and whistles while being easy to use and understand.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2019, 02:31 PM »
Purchase Vexilar FL 18 with dual ducer.  I had one for 20 years, use it for ice for ice fishing and open water.  Marcum O.K too.  Depends how much you're willing to spend up front.  Watch some youtube videos and do your homework before you commit.  Everyone has their favorite because they're already invested.  I would spend more money up front so you don't have to upgrade later imo.
J

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2019, 02:50 PM »
I bought the Hummingbird Ice 35 few weeks ago as my first flasher and they are incredibility easy to use.  I just watched a bunch of youtube videos trying to choose between the Vexilar FL8 and the Ice 35.  I went with the Ice 35 because of a few additional features (narrow/wide views and zoom) and then watched some of their how-to videos.  First trip on the ice with it I was marking fish and got a few perch.  You will love it.  Youtube is your friend.  Only been out with it 5-6 times and already couldn't imagine not having one. 

Offline Knotty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2019, 04:56 PM »
A little time watching YouTubes on the subject will provide more info than you can get just from text descriptions.

I ended up with a Garmin Striker 4, which has various modes for ice as well boating or kayak. Got it with the portable kit option but you can also make a DIY version.

Offline gillripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:29 PM »
I have a vexilar FL8.  It's the basic vexilar flasher but I love it and it has helped me catch suspended crappies I would have never caught in the past.  I wish I bought one years ago.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Not sure where your from but field and tackle has 1 lx5 marcum lithium shuttle bucket package for $500.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.