Author Topic: Early ice pike  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Fishteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
Early ice pike
« on: Dec 24, 2016, 06:18 PM »
Just wondering if you would fish for early ice pike in the same shallow areas you would find them during the late ice/pre-spawn period?

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re: Early ice pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2016, 07:56 PM »
Just wondering if you would fish for early ice pike in the same shallow areas you would find them during the late ice/pre-spawn period?
My experience has always been that early in the season pike relate more to shoreline structure.. 
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2016, 07:14 PM »
Fishing river systems, my experience is that they are out deep "roaming" early and mid ice. Late ice and last ice they are up shallow and eating anything they can find. Sharp weed edges, drop offs, rock humps, ledges, the edges of flats, stuff like that. They just roam it and take an easy meal if they come across it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2016, 11:21 AM »
There are going to be different scenarios in different bodies of water, but a couple of the places I target them, you can pretty much follow their pattern from tight to shore at first ice, you can follow them out deeper and deeper as the season progresses, then right back in again towards seasons end.  One of my local spots is like clockwork,  I can almost literally take ten more steps out every week until I hit the deepest part of the cove, fish there for a weekend, then a few steps back towards the shallows each trip until ice out.  Of course you always have the big girls roaming in, what seems to be, no particular pattern. 
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline PikeChaser198

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Let it run, it can't get out of the pond
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:40 PM »
We fish them fairly shallow.
Ebensburg Fishing & Hunting
3657 Admiral Peary HWY
Ebensburg, PA
(814) 472-5980 / Facebook & Instagram

Clete's Taxidermy Studio
(814) 471-4898 / Facebook & Instagram