Author Topic: coroplast shack and Menards storage shed  (Read 118217 times)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
coroplast shack and Menards storage shed
« on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:07 PM »
These are some pictures of a new shack I built this year.  It's 4'x8', 6' high at the eave, and 6'9" at the peak.  I was wanting to try to build a hardside that was under 200lbs (and it is well under, less than 175, way under 175!)  I can easily lift one end or turn the whole thing on its side by myself!

I started out with a 4'x8' (5/8" thick) plywood floor with 2x4 runners and 2x3 cross supports.
Note, the square plywood with the circle cut-out.  That is for the 5 gallon bucket with the bottom
cut out to put into ice to stop the drafts.  I also added UHMW plastic to the skis.

Then I insulated the floor.

I built the frame using 3/4" x 3/4" pine.  I had to pre-drill and counter-sink every hole to prevent the wood from spilting.  I also used wood glue on every joint.

I then "filled each opening with polystyrene foam.  This also added lateral support to the frame.

I added the coroplast on the exterior and then added the reflective tape.  I also put some aluminum flashing around the bottom for protection from ice and snow.  I used angle aluminum to finish all the edges.  I painted the roof black too.

Mainedog.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: coroplast shack
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:12 PM »
Nice shack, Mainedog.  Great pictures of the build.
Ken                                          

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:18 PM »
Haven't decided yet on the heat source.  I use wood in my Green monster, but also have a Mr. Buddy and another small propane heater.  With the coroplast shack I am trying to keep it to minimum but have a shack that doesn't have zipper door.  The green shack gets too hot often, and I don't want to have to strip each time I enter the coroplast shack.  I am hoping very small propane or no heat, but time will tell.

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:23 PM »
an outstanding job and pics Mainedog.....outstandi ng!.....Grump

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:35 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys, but talk to me after the end of the season to see how the
"plastic cardboard" (coroplast) holds up.

vermonner...coroplast looks just like cardboard but is plastic.  Very light weight, waterproof, UV resistant, but not as strong as aluminum (Ice Shack III) but one heck of a lot cheaper!  A 4x8 sheet of the 4mm was a little over $14 a sheet, and much lighter than Luan plywood!

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:40 PM »
Looks good Mainedog...  I should have some pics to help you with your aluminum ideas hopefully this weekend...  it ended up being .040 not .016 like I thought...
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:43 PM »
The flashing that I lined the bottom of the coroplast shack with was 0.0092" thick, and it would
be plenty thick enough for Ice Shack III if I could find some 4'x8' or 4'x50' sheets of it at a
reasonable price.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2006, 09:58 AM »
MaineDog - 1st class building effort.  Do you dare hazard a guess on how much $ you've got tied up in the project?

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2006, 11:19 AM »
I've kept all my receipts, and will be trying to come up with a close estimate shortly.
I am kind of leary of putting it out here though.  My wife sometimes reads
what I'm up to on IS, and putting that number here might get me in hot
water.....when I get a good idea I could PM it to you.

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2006, 11:28 AM »
My wife sometimes reads what I'm up to on IS, and putting that number here might get me in hot

In my household I wear the pants in the family!!!!

She just tells me which ones. :)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2006, 12:54 PM »
I've kept all my receipts, and will be trying to come up with a close estimate shortly.
I am kind of leary of putting it out here though.  My wife sometimes reads
what I'm up to on IS, and putting that number here might get me in hot

That's way too funny Mainedog ;D  I know when I come carting home something new I tend to be a little vague about its exact costs... "Oh, you know honey, not to bad", that type of thing.  If it's the difference between you sleeping on the couch for a night or two, I'll understand you not posting the cost. Better hide those credit card receipts  :whistle:

Offline Holewatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • in a trance watching the flag
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:03 PM »
 >:( THe pics disappeared and I sure would liked to have seen it.
I need to go to the bathroom, but it might flip up if I go.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:10 PM »
I can't see the pics either...would have been nice.   Hope it works out well for ya.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:10 PM »
I see that too.  Man, he's really trying to keep this thing a secret from his wife now! :roflmao:

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2006, 04:23 PM »
Try again.  Sharemation might be not so sharing.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2006, 09:41 PM »
Pics show up fine for me.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2006, 10:26 AM »
Fine job you did, Mainedog!  I really like the clean lines and low weight.  Not a problem, but I'll bet you have to anchor it in any kind of wind.   :thumbsup:
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline ShrekII

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2006, 12:07 PM »
Sweet, I,m guessing your grand kids will be fishing in that thing, if it doesn't come off the trailer or you loose it in the wind, great job. I'm thinking you won't need too much heat in there unless you're in and out alot.

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2006, 12:35 PM »
Sweet looking shack.  :thumbsup: Let us know how warm it is. GREAT JOB

Offline a1plus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2006, 08:44 AM »
how did you attach the rigid foam to your frame ? Glue?

Does the coroplast add strenght.

I am thinking of using discarded coroplast signs to build a shanty

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2006, 12:01 PM »
Great job on the shack...i hope it works out for you.  A guy i know uses coroplast around here and it does not get very good revies.After the first year of use he says the stuff just crumbles on contact right in your hands.Again this is 2nd hand info so I am not sure how acurate it is but he says they have quit using it on many applications because of the poor longevity of the product.

Not bashing your shack...looks great...but i want to see how it holds up before I try it personally.Hope it lasts because I would love to build a light weight castle myself.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2006, 12:32 PM »
Exactly what I'm hoping to find out, rumblefish_1.  How well it holds up.  As I mentioned in other posts,
I really wanted to use sheet aluminum, but there as a $$ issue.

As for adding strength, a1plus, I don't think so.  It is pretty soft plastic.  I wanted it more for its weight and waterproofness.  I glued and screwed (using fender washers) the foam in place.  The foam adds almost all
the strength to the shack (I used 3/4" pine sticks for the frame...very flimsy).  The foam was screwed into
some horizontal sticks attached to the inside of the frame.  I wanted something very light, 4'x8', and warm.
I was willing to sacrifice durability, but hopefully it's make it through at least one season.  Who knows, then
maybe I will re-sheath it.  The most expensive part of the coroplast shack was the aluminum angle stock trim
~8 8' pieces @ $11 apiece; next was the foam.  About 12 sheets (I have some left over) at about $7.50/sheet. 
I used 7 sheets of 4'x8' for coroplast at $14/sheet.

If the plastic rots or doesn't hold up, then there's always aluminum next year.

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2006, 02:24 PM »
right on...hope it works out well for you!!!  You may be pioneering a new breed of shack for many of us.  Thanks for the effort and the reply

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2006, 03:43 PM »
Home Depot and Lowes sell 4'x8' sheets of a fiberglass material used for waterproof installations such as shower walls.  I wonder if it would be liter than the aluminum sheets?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2006, 03:56 PM »
Mainedog..  have you thought about when you have to haul it yet?   I get kinda worried about the 3/4 x 3/4 pine framing snapping and crumpling the shack while on the road... what are your thoughts or thinking on this matter?  It has me very curious,  because I looked at the coroplast as a sheathing..  Thanks
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2006, 04:05 PM »
Otis -  I don't know how cold that fiberglass material you mention can get before it becomes brittle and shatters easily.  I have also heard some plastic (pvc) can break when it gets real cold.  A neighbor had his bathroom plumbing vent shatter when a careless snow shoveller hit it with the shovel when it was cold (the roof was being cleared off).

Lefty - the foam glued between the frame pieces really made it solid.  I used liquid nails and cut the foam to fit very tightly, plus have a couple horizontal supports inside to which the foam is attached using screws and fender washers.
I seriously considered not even putting on the coroplast, or maybe just using a blue tarp, but I since I already had the plastic I figured I'd used it and see how it turns out.  Check out one of the earler pictures that shows the foam walls up but not covered yet.  You'll see little silver circles (the fender washers).  As for transportation, I will pull it behind my snowsled on the ice, and on a trailer on the road (I don't drive far or fast).

Lefty-one other idea I was considering was gluing luan sheets onto sheets of the foam (making my own engineered R-panel), and then attaching those panels to a frame, cutting out the windows, doors, etc. but the weight would have gone up.  The coroplast shack is amazing light.  I will have to anchor or leave hitched to my snowsled if it gets windy.

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2007, 04:27 PM »
Mainedog, awesome shack, whats your guess for a weight on the shack, looks like it will be easy to load and unload, definitely would have to anchor on a real windy day, my 4X6 will stay put after it sets in and snow or ice freeze in around the runners a bit. Sweet looking shanty.
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2007, 05:54 PM »
Great idea for a shack, Mainedog!! The the good U.V. resistant sheets, should last allot longer, than the stuff  used on pallets. Wish I would have thought of it.  ;D

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2007, 06:07 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Shrek and Brujharr. 
I will definitely have to tie it down on the ice.
Last weekend, the winds were up, and pushed it off its blocks when it was
parked (where the pictures were taken) next to my shed.  It had a 5 gallon
bucket that has been filled with cement in it to hold it down!

I installed my rattle wheel, wished I was out on the ice.  This coming weekend
I plan to test it out on the lake.  We should have enough ice by then (I hope).

It is very light for its size, and it seems to be quite warm.
I'll post some pictures of it in action, and some of my impressions/comments
soon (hopefully).

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2007, 06:12 PM »
Sorry forgot to add my weight estimate.  I'm guessing less than 125lbs. 
Basically one sheet of 5/8 plywood, 10 sheets of 1" thick foam, pine sticks, a couple of 9' 2x4s,
some plastic strips, lots of wood screws.  The coroplast is very light.
Aluminum trim about 10lbs. Plexiglas windows: 4lbs....let's see it all this adding up?
It's light...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.