Author Topic: Frabill Commander Max  (Read 1264 times)

Offline crush23

• IceShanty Rookie
Frabill Commander Max
« on: Dec 02, 2020, 10:19 AM »
Hello, I just bought a frabill Commander Max and love the thing. One thing I don't love is the fact that the front bar doesn't touch the ground. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did they fix it?

Would cutting the front bar down a couple of inches help? It seems the fabric shrank over the year.

Thanks in advance

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Frabill Commander Max
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2020, 11:56 AM »
way easier to adjust the tent as it mounts to the sled to allow some more ice contact by the front bar
do not cut that front bar unless you plan to splice in some extra length with emt - if you just bend the front it will leave slack in the front bar to top bar fabric. If you completely replace the front bar with bent emt as shown in that link, or splice in some extra emt the fabric will stay stretched

Catchin' Fish

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2020, 12:09 PM »
I think the bar ...even on its own will not touch the ground.. Adjusting the tent may help but test the bar first w/o the tent.. to help with the fit use Binder clips till you get it just the way you want. If you alrready installed/screwed thw trim on ..you can take off the trim readjust and use Gear Aid Tenacious tape to cover up the old holes.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline crush23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2020, 04:04 PM »
Lots of great info here. I will look into adjusting the tent first. Maybe there is more wiggle room in it. If not I may go EMT's way as the eskimo thermals are very similar.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2020, 05:21 PM »
Lots of great info here. I will look into adjusting the tent first. Maybe there is more wiggle room in it. If not I may go EMT's way as the eskimo thermals are very similar.

Check that front bar ..if it dosent go down on its own you could be chasing your tail ...let us know how it turns out .

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2020, 09:06 PM »
I have a Clam Yukon, so it may be different.....

I installed the fabric on the back of the sled and wanted to be sure it was nice and secure, so I doubled over the fabric.  Bad move, not enough fabric to go over all the hoops and let that front bar sit flat on the ground.  So I undid everything and installed (as noted in the instructions) and all was good.   So check how the fabric on the back of the sled is installed

Also, once out on the ice and with any snow on top it is not as much of an issue. 

Offline crush23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2020, 07:46 AM »
I worked on it a bit last night. I looked at the back of the sled, and there is no wiggle room for fabric back there. I then looked at all the velcro straps and noticed they are tightly wrapped around each pole. I losened them off and It bought me some room with the bottom bar. It seems to be good enough in my garage. I'll be out this weekend to give it a shot in the ice. Thanks for everyone's advice!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2020, 08:02 AM »
I worked on it a bit last night. I looked at the back of the sled, and there is no wiggle room for fabric back there. I then looked at all the velcro straps and noticed they are tightly wrapped around each pole. I losened them off and It bought me some room with the bottom bar. It seems to be good enough in my garage. I'll be out this weekend to give it a shot in the ice. Thanks for everyone's advice!

Make sure the tub is flat on LEVEL ground ...it may lean forward with the weight of the fabric ..making it appear ok ..if the front(curved) part of the tub is raised it may not be accurate when you add any front weight in the tub on ice . Also if you can let the fabric relax some on the frame it will stretch a little.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.