Author Topic: Stainless steel thermos - which one is best?  (Read 75427 times)

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Stainless steel thermos - which one is best?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Stanley, but don't buy the new ones from the store, turn them over, they are the cheap chinese junk.   Go on ebay and get a real one.

Offline aaronh33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:24 PM »
I have a UNA-VAC thermos. I got it from my grandpa after he past away.  I know that it is about 35-40 years old, beat to crap, and  it has been through him catching his truck on fire.  I still use it everyday just like he did.  I can keep my coffee hot for 24 hours no problem.  I kind of want to get another one just to have for the future.   

Offline traveler05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2012, 06:24 PM »
I just retired an old stanley thermos due to the fact the plastic stopper and retaining sleeve has taken on a taste from years of use. This was one of the first stanley made that wasnt a vacuum,so I dont know how old it is. To make a long story short it still keep my coffee hot on the ice in my pack basket all day,that is why I replaced it with a new stanley. There might be better ones,but you can get these at Walmart for about 20.00,without having to mail order one.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 01:41 PM »
I tried the foam thing. I used expandable foam. Drilled a 1/16 hole in top and 1/4 in bottom. Squrted foam in bottom till it came out top hole. Let it sit overnight to "harden". Next morning I looked and it pushed the bottom right off thermos :o :o Guess it expanded too much. It was a older stanley. No great loss, I have 3 more. I seen a guy go around his windows in a shack he was building and it expanded enough to where the window worked really hard. I like my stanleys. Just preheat them and they will stay hot all day.  Steve 

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jun 10, 2012, 07:07 AM »
have three thermos [stainless steel] all stay very hot all day .add boiling water to thermos first,let sit for two minutes,empty and add contents .eight hours later  still hot

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:34 PM »
I've tried others but for sometime go with Stanley.  Regular quart model and the wide mouth one for soups & stews.  Whatever kind you choose pre heat with hot water first and it should stay good for the day or until it gets towards the bottom.

Offline pilzner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Stanley are very good got one a couple of years ago as a gift but it only kept coffee hot 3 or 4 hours called up Stanley and had a new one at my door in 2 days they have a lifetime warrenty no ? Asked look on the bottom it should say Lifetime and a 1800 number

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:31 AM »
Stanley's are guaranteed for life. Unlike Cabela's stuff that has a life span determined buy Cabela's It means life or forever.

I bought a Stanley thermos in mid 1966. It really was a screw up on Stanley's part as the stopper was not threaded but held in by the cup. After a number of years it got to not holding the coffee hot very long. I replaced it years ago with another Stanley.

I noticed it buried in the garage a few years ago. Knowing the guarantee I called their service department. I had a hard time getting the gal to understand that the thermos was so old it did not have the code number on the bottom like they do now. They sent me a replacement.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2015, 04:00 PM »

x2

X4.

The cold thermos really takes away Alot of heat. 

Offline patrapper1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2015, 06:47 PM »
another one for stanley.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 18, 2015, 05:39 AM »
I didn't think they still made glass lined thermos bottles any more. I think they were the best even though they didn't live long with me. I think I might try this one. At this price, I won't cry too long when I break it.
http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-33110atri6-Translucent-Beverage-Bottle/dp/B003E67Q6S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421580583&sr=8-4&keywords=glass-lined+thermos

As for stainless, I love my old Stanley.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:03 AM »
I like amazon reviews, they don't always pick up the #@$%iness of every item (sometimes some high rated but bad products) but when they do they truly are #@$%-y. Sensitive, not specific.

Of the BIG thermoses, this one seems to have the best Amazon.com reviews:

Thermos Vacuum Insulated Beverage Bottle with Folding Handle, 61-Ounce, Stainless Steel - rated 24 hrs hot or cold

There is another similar but somewhat cheaper Thermos brand thermos with 1700 reviews at 4.5 stars.

There's also different brand 64 oz thermos with high reviews but some complaints about a "cheap plastic cap" which seem valid.

Almost all the Stanley thermoses have </=4 stars.

Hard to find quality things these days especially anything made out of steel or other durable materials. Anything new you find actually on a store shelf is almost guaranteed to be the cheapest garbage from China. Have to really search hard online, sometimes go with vintage used items. 

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:16 AM »
I had two Stanley thermos for 30 years when i worked. they were the best. I still use them. You can replace stoppers and cups on them.

Offline Fishtaler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Stanley

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:43 AM »
I didn't think they still made glass lined thermos bottles any more. I think they were the best even though they didn't live long with me. I think I might try this one. At this price, I won't cry too long when I break it.
http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-33110atri6-Translucent-Beverage-Bottle/dp/B003E67Q6S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421580583&sr=8-4&keywords=glass-lined+thermos

As for stainless, I love my old Stanley.

Oh, they still make them but the stores just don't stock them (probably because of the fragile nature and the rough shipping they encounter)
I ordered a couple from the THERMOS website. They do have a decent selection.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #45 on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:35 PM »
i've had nissan stianless for years it's the best thermos i ever bought. i don't even have to preheat it.i forgot  it in back pack for two days with coffee in it.when poured the coffee out it was still warm after two days.you my pay a little more for one but it's worth it.

X2 - I have two of these thermos', one big and one small.  The small one (about 8 cups) is over twenty years old and still keeps it hot for over 24 hours.  The big one (at least 12 cups) is over ten years old and keeps it warm for 36 hours or longer.

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:43 PM »
Nissan is by far the best. Stanley can't hold a candle to it. Had them both and a few others. Nissan keeps coffee hot all day long.

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 15, 2016, 03:17 AM »
i concur nissan is the best i've found yet...keeps coffee hot all day..even in sub zero temps..just amazing how well they work.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Oct 18, 2016, 05:09 PM »
My wife has an Eddie Bauer that's unbeatable. I cannot find 1 like it. Last year she bought me Thermos brand---quite expensive but no match for hers!!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #49 on: Oct 18, 2016, 06:03 PM »
ive got 2 heavy duty thermos made buy a company called uno vac.they are both 30 years old or more and keep coffee or hot chocolate hot for 24 hrs.never had good luck with the newer Stanley or thermos brand.

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
« Reply #50 on: Nov 21, 2016, 10:17 PM »
Thermos Thermax outperforms Stanley for me. Stanley for over 25yrs. and Thermax for over 10

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #51 on: Nov 24, 2016, 01:13 AM »
Yeti. Buy once no problems.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Nov 24, 2016, 01:41 PM »
I've had a Stanley thermos for over thirty years and it works great keeping things warm.  What I do is I fill it with boiling water, tighten the top, and let it sit while I'm making my coffee to put in it or boiling the water to make hot chocolate.  I really don't know if it makes a difference but my Dad did it and I always did, either way what ever I put in it stays hot all day long.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Nov 26, 2016, 08:49 AM »
Picked up a Thermos brand vacuum-insulated 32oz one last year. Didn't cost a lot at under $30 and kept beverages plenty warm for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.