Author Topic: "2-1/2" OF WAS GOOD ICE"  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
"2-1/2" OF WAS GOOD ICE"
« on: Feb 21, 2006, 02:49 PM »
Throughout the morning,there we're 7 fishermen who showed up to fish Summit,before we all hit the bank,four(4) of em were wet,with the first one going thru he panicked,instantly starting to yell the "F" word(lol),dropped his bucket,and auger and headed for the bank,where he would get back up on the ice,and down he went again,and yes he's still yelling the "F" word,so we all finally make it off and guess what?Theres still a $60.00 Auger sitting on the Ice,along with a bucket full of jigs and poles,35 feet out in the Lake,with a bunch of broken up 2-1/2" of Ice.....The water was only 4' deep where this happened,well I was following Asphalt Kid off, and he said it's bad here Jimmy,and it wasn't 10' later he went down,so me and two other guys,(all 3 of us were stunned),looked at each other and I said lets try to get off on the other side of the bay,which was 100 yards the direct opposite way,so off we go,after getting about 70 yards or so,Randys right foot went thru with his left leg keeping him from going down,after he stiffened it up,so us 3 make it off,and oh yea about a half hour before we decided to leave another fellow was taking off and fell in to his knees,and remember now this is happening on 2-1/2" of good clear ice,anyway the 6 of us we're standing up by our vehicles gettin the first guy some dry clothes and Asphalt Kid say's,I'm already wet,I cant let that guys equipment go down,I'm going in after it,so here we go back down the hill,and these pictures will tell the rest,I was just so happy that everyone was safe,because where we were fishing was over our heads in places.And did we get any fish,we sure did,we got some descent gills.

ASPHALT KID TO THE RESCUE.........

HERE WE ARE GETTIN HIM SOME DRY CLOTHES

OFF GOES THE KID TO THE RESCUE

NOT MUCH FURTHER SHAWN

HES PULLING THE BUCKET TOWARD EM

A SUCCESSFUL RESCUE

PIKEGUY

Re: "2-1/2" OF WAS GOOD ICE"
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:00 PM »
Crazy stuff. Nice of AK to do that :D

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:11 PM »
To bad you guys didnt get any fishing in. You should have come up north.  I didnt see anybody swimming today.  You guys down south are warm blooded soules. 

Yogi

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:14 PM »
You guys are carying some big sets...........   :o

Nice of AK to retreive the fishing tackle.  I also noticed a rope.  Great idea when going out on thin ice.
When the bass season is over, there's nothing better than ice fishing!

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:15 PM »
Yogi,we fished,this happen at 2 oclock,I was the first one there at 10 this morning,it was solid as a rock when we went on

hali-man

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:19 PM »
I was just so happy that everyone was safe,because where we were fishing was over our heads in places.And did we get any fish,we sure did,we got some descent gills.

Jebus, be careful!  :o

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:34 PM »
I got off the ice at 2 and it was about the same as when I got on.  It was a little softer but nothing I had to worry about.  I was out at there at 730 and it was hard as a rock too.  Must be a little warmer down south.  It was 37 when i got in my truck at 2.  Did you guys do any good down there.

Yogi

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:42 PM »
We got a few descent gill's Yogi....

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:45 PM »
You guys are crazy Jimmy LOL. I want to be fishin also, Just not bad enough to be in the polar bear club though! LMAO!!!!!!

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:51 PM »
I checked the ice on my pond at 2:45 today and it seemed OK.  At 4:15 I tried to get on and went up to my knee.  Went through 3 times trying to get on.  Gave up.  That sun just ate it up!  Heck the ice might be gone by Friday!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline fire831

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2006, 05:23 PM »
All I can say is that Kid is one heck of a fellow to do something like that for someone else's stuff, a little crazy but what a guy. You guys be careful out there I would like the chance to fish with ya a few more times. ;D

Offline fishinworms

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2006, 05:28 PM »
you boys are certifiably crazy men.......glad you all are safe and kudos to the kid for the gear retrieval.....

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:32 PM »
Way to go Kid. It looks like it was a full 1 cigarette job. :-\
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:38 PM »
that was great of the kid and the rest of you guys to do that for the guy.  you guys are TRUE sportsman! glad to see that there are decent people still left.
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2006, 07:12 PM »
Only in Indiana! There must be something in the water we drink! ;D

I walked out into the middle of my biggest pond this morning no problem - 3 inches of clear hard ice. But I had my heart set on setting up the fish trap and didn't want to take a chance of losing it. Ice that clear makes me a little leary, and when I  walked out later in the day, as it was warming up, I could hear the ice groan as I walked on it. Decided it was a no no.

Ended up fishing smaller back pond that is more out of the wind and froze up a day earlier. Caught 5 brook trout up to 4 lbs. 13 oz. and 20 1/4 inches, and moved all accept one to a newer pond that will now be the trout pond. The biggest I dropped on his head and he was bleeding badly so he is for sale to other taxidermists. Kind of bummed me out as he was otherwise a beautiful specimen that could have gone 7 lbs. or more by this fall. I was upset! Brook trout are really slippery!

These fish were caught on a fathead a couple of feet below a sponge float. I could actually see the fish down there. It was exciting. Shouldn't be many left. This pond will now be for growing monster perch. I should have taken a pic of the big one. Sorry!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2006, 07:33 PM »
Way to go Kid. It looks like it was a full 1 cigarette job. :-\

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh on the cigarette,the kid has quit,I guess his nerves we're going off a little,Ill tell ya fellows,I was right beside Asphalt Kid when he went back out to get this guys equipment,and by the time he got back to the bank,hypothermia was setting in on him,I seen it in his eyes,and his movement in his body,for those of you who dont know Asphalt Kid,this should give ya big hint of what kinda fellow angler he is,he was offered money from the guy and all,and said I am not taking that money,we were all safe is the main thing,you all be careful out there,these warm temps will sure soften it up,just because its 27 degrees out that dont mean its making ice,all it means is,its keeping what little bit we got,be safe and keep jiggin'....................

Jimmy Lang

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:15 PM »
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh on the cigarette,the kid has quit,                                                           Jimmy Lang
His secret is safe with me. I quit up to 20 times a day myself. Looks like you guys have fun though, just glad everyone is safe.
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2006, 12:28 AM »
Well guys I have only had 2 smokes in almost 4 months and I needed that one bad , a dip of Skoal wasn't enough at that moment. And Jimmy is right I felt Hypothermia and it wasn't the first time.

Well Let me tell ya the way I look at it is................If it was my stuff I would hope that somebody would help me out and GET IT!!!!!!!!!
I know that I cant afford to replace my ole beatup, paint half worn off of, dull bladed(yeah a set a blades a year if not 2 sets) trusty handy dandy, you want a hole here Ole' timer auger. and my rods and reels , all too expensive to replace with an unemployment check, although I got my eye on a few more.
I just hope somebody would do the same for me, even though I evidently have lost my mind.

LOL
Well to beat all of that try being in my shoes explaining to my wife on our anniversary that I fell in fishing and then had to go and get somebody else's stuff off  of the ice by getting back in the ice cold water and busting my way out to it and still have the nerve to drive back to the baitshop and get minnows for my 2 boys pet turtle and then make it home in time to shower and get to their school for an academic meet that the oldest boy had and try to get my wife something for our anniversary, then turn around and get my youngest at my brothers house and be home in time for dinner.

WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Talk about a day

P.S.
I still had gills in the sink on ice waiting to be cleaned too.
Just another ordinary day for the Asphalt_kid.  FiSh On!!!!!!

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2006, 01:00 AM »
what a guy you are kid.  Nice job.

hali-man

« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2006, 03:24 AM »
You are a hard water hero, AK.  :bow:  ;D

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2006, 07:03 AM »
This is a true statement from the fellow that Asphalt Kid rescued his equipment,once we we're all back up at the cars and trucks getting undressed,I looked over at the guy and said,you realize what the Kid just did for you,he said I sure do, and I do appreciate it,I said well.................. would you do it for him,and his statement was "F" no I wouldn't,I'm not gettin back in that cold water,the otheres said the same also,but myself,Asphalt Kid knows that ole Jimmy would of been right there to get his equipment,nothing crazy about you Shawn,you just a fishing machine,with a good heart,with all honesty,Ive been thru the ice a few times in my life,and I believe that Asphalt Kid was right beside me 70% of the time,its a good feeling,knowing theres someone like him that will be there for ya if ya go thru...........but tell em kid.............."Thats why they call it ice fishing"

Jimmy Lang

Offline fire831

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2006, 10:41 AM »
Hey Kid, good job on the smoking. It will be 5 weeks tomorrow for me with no smokes. Was on the patch 21mg for 3 weeks and the 14 mg for one week and the 14 started breaking me out and causeing the itches. Got rid of the patches last Sat. night and have not used any since. Keep up the good work. Also you are one heck of a man to do something like you  did for the guy. I've only got to fish with you one time for a short while and seen you at Rico's house after the honey hole trip last year and you seem like a good guy to me. Can't wait to go fishing with ya again sometime.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.