Author Topic: What size do you consider a "keeper" bluegill/redear?  (Read 33659 times)

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
???

-Jeff

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: What size do you consider a "keeper" bluegill/redear?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:51 PM »
Gill...usually 8 inches, but will keep 7.75 if they come from a lake where they have broad shoulders and are plentiful.  Some lakes the gills are thick like red ears and you can get a thicker fillet from 7.75 inch gill than a 8.5 fish from other lakes where they are not thick.  I think what you keep depends on what the lake 'normally' produces.  If a lake is known for 10 inch gills, then 8.5 should be about what you start keeping, but if 8-9 inch gills are the norm in a lake, 7.5 and up could be kept.  Red ears I don't like to keep unless they are 8.5 because they can grow to 11 to 12 inches in alot of lakes if left to grow up.

I think the DNR classifies anythig over 6 inches as harvestable for both gills and red ears during their studies.  That is a bit small, but some people will clean that size fish.  Fish Fear the beard!!!

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:42 PM »
 I don't clean anything less than 7.5" for a gill or ear, but I do keep 6.5"+ for a guy that likes to clean them. He takes them by the bucket full, but I keep it to a limit. we still release alot of 6.5-7" gills! Wax worm made a good point about some lakes panfish tending to have more meat/thicker per size than others. That really dictates what size fish is kept vs released imo.

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2010, 12:08 AM »
Gill...usually 8 inches, but will keep 7.75 if they come from a lake where they have broad shoulders and are plentiful.  Some lakes the gills are thick like red ears and you can get a thicker fillet from 7.75 inch gill than a 8.5 fish from other lakes where they are not thick.  I think what you keep depends on what the lake 'normally' produces.  If a lake is known for 10 inch gills, then 8.5 should be about what you start keeping, but if 8-9 inch gills are the norm in a lake, 7.5 and up could be kept.  Red ears I don't like to keep unless they are 8.5 because they can grow to 11 to 12 inches in alot of lakes if left to grow up.

I think the DNR classifies anythig over 6 inches as harvestable for both gills and red ears during their studies.  That is a bit small, but some people will clean that size fish.  Fish Fear the beard!!!

Well put Wax worm .  The keeper line on my board starts at 7 1/2 inches. But depends on the lake and the time of year. I personally dont like cleaning small fish, not that I have any problems doing it just dont like to.

Offline bradmoun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:08 AM »
7 or if I stuggle to catch anything 6

Offline chicken doodle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2010, 05:56 AM »
Depends on where I am fishing. During open water season, I have 2 place that I fish.

One is a 5 acre pond that produces monster redears and bluegill. Nice and thick fish. Catch quite a few in the 11 inch range. I won't keep anything under 8 inches. (long drive or I would fish there more often.)

The place I fish closer to home is a small lake. It is loaded with crappie and bluegill. The problem is they are stunted. More fish than the lake can support IMO. Here I usually catch a ton of 7 to 8 inch bluegill, but keep them down to 6 inches.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:50 AM »
I personally would rather eat a bunch of 6.5" fish than 9" and 10" fish. Not that i don't keep the 9+10's though. I fry up quite a few fish and its my experience that when you layout a plate full of piping hot fillets, the smallest ones get eatin first.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline WalleyeHunter84

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " Flag Down "
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:44 AM »
Six inches plus then they are keepers.  If they are under 8 inches I scale them and fry them up with the skin on.  Over eight inches I skin them.  :tipup:
"The Dirty Andy"

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:49 AM »
Depends on how hungry I am. I have been known to keep some pretty small fish - but they are not "wasted".

My son was fishing a tourney down at Monroe a few years back. He caught a bunch of dink panfish of which all could count on his total. We iced them and later Dad  got to fillet some very small fish. Several under four inches. And if I remember right, TKO was correct. They got eaten first!!! (Sometimes I keep a few small fillets to steam up while cooking my ramen noodles. Adds something to it.)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2010, 08:40 AM »
good eaters are 6-10 inchers.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:00 AM »
7 1/2 to 8 inchers and up on most lakes. On my favorite lake 8 inchers go back.  :)

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Any that r bigger than yours Jeff. ;D  It really all depends on if I feel like cleaning fish or not. But not much smaller than 8

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:21 AM »
I personally would rather eat a bunch of 6.5" fish than 9" and 10" fish.

I would too, but only if your cleaning them for me ;).

Offline icemachiner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:31 AM »
I really like fish that are 4 to 8 inches. 4 may seem small but when it comes to running them through the slick skin tumble scaler they make a great morsel after a quick knife and remove the ribs. I keep fish larger than 8 when it comes to harvest time, they make great sandwich fish, but prefer the mediums when it come finger food. Have even cleaned smaller than 4 too but those were not from my creel, lol, no names need be mentioned. ;D

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:07 AM »
14 inches and narrow.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:17 AM »
14 inches and narrow.

I like those long narrow ones too they fry up like french fries. But 8" is the norm.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline vermillion1405

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2010, 01:38 PM »
8" if i'm doing good, 7" if I'm doing bad.

Offline JP-TKO

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • commander of team TKO!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2010, 01:42 PM »
depends on the count fish tko is at. if he is ahead of me ... lips an eyes medium size!!!
i love when people say, well im markin them ,but i just cant get them to bite. im not there to fish, im there to catch!!!! can i try ur hole!!

Offline JP-TKO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2010, 01:44 PM »
14 inches and narrow.
                   now ur talkin!!!
i love when people say, well im markin them ,but i just cant get them to bite. im not there to fish, im there to catch!!!! can i try ur hole!!

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2010, 02:03 PM »
I really like fish that are 4 to 8 inches. 4 may seem small but when it comes to running them through the slick skin tumble scaler they make a great morsel after a quick knife and remove the ribs. I keep fish larger than 8 when it comes to harvest time, they make great sandwich fish, but prefer the mediums when it come finger food. Have even cleaned smaller than 4 too but those were not from my creel, lol, no names need be mentioned. ;D

LOL...Those are JP's fish. Although, it really doesn't matter cause i could clean a crappie minnow with an electric knife. Jp keeps me in practice. ;)
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline JP-TKO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2010, 02:07 PM »
LOL FISH AFTER SEEIN UR BUCKETS AT THE END OF THE DAY , I FIGURE ITS OK TO KEEP A FEW SMALL ONES!!

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2010, 03:16 PM »
I razzed a guy about keeping some small ones and his reply was , " well , it's bigger than a bean ain't it? ".   So there you have it.  To each their own.

HHD

Offline HighPockets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:14 PM »
I have kept plenty of 6 inch's only to be scaled and fileted. and if I have any size swallow the hook and appear injured they get ate also. I don't believe anything should be wasted if its going to die anyway.

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:40 PM »
normally 8 inchers gills....reds 8inchers....but if desperate 7.5 inchers

Offline wawa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:37 PM »
I go by how close I can come to wrapping my hand around them. If I can touch fingers to thumb or come close it goes back.

Offline Buckeye John

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2010, 06:22 AM »
I will normaly just keep 6" 7/12' for eaters turn bigger one back. Them little tater chip gills are so tasty! ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.