Author Topic: Skandic Vs. Bear Cat, which is the best?  (Read 43414 times)

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
Skandic Vs. Bear Cat, which is the best?
« on: Nov 15, 2011, 01:53 PM »
I need to get a sled, something between $1,000-$2,500. I've got it narrowed down to a Skandic or Bear Cat. I'm thinking 97-03ish. Is there anything in this year range to watch out for? Any major changes I need to know about? I just want to make sure I get the best sled for my money so I don't kick my self after the fact!
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Skandic Vs. Bear Cat, which is the best?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2011, 04:43 PM »
skandic- hands down. I take it you are looking for a utility sled? Skandic is hard to beat. Myself, the tundra is the best sled available.   Try to find a used one though. People who have them will not get rid of them. That says something.    Steve

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Skandic. Im a tundra guy to but like those skandics for pulling and such. Going to see how the friends new bearcat preforms this year.

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2011, 05:29 PM »
Thanks guys for the input. Who makes the Tundra? Never heard of them but I will check them out. I am in the market for strictly a utility sled to haul gear.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2011, 05:37 PM »
i had a Arctic cat panther great sled and so comfy ,last year bought a tundra 550 its a bull and not short on any thing and doesn't weight crap and will get across the ice as fast as you want to go touched mine off at 85 and still climbing , and i bridged over a 100 ft of open water last ice with X2 in tow awesome sled 

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:01 PM »
I will definately be considering a used Tundra now. I need something about 10 years old in order to be in my price range. What is the difference between the skandic or bear cat?
-John Buchan

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:11 PM »
Thanks guys for the input. Who makes the Tundra? Never heard of them but I will check them out. I am in the market for strictly a utility sled to haul gear.

Skidoo.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Skidoo.
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice. Are those tundra or skandics? What year? I like them that is what I'm looking for.
-John Buchan

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2011, 08:36 PM »
Tundra Long Tracks (LT's).
2011 on the left; 2010 on the right. 
A bit newer than what you were looking for.
These things are unstoppable in deep snow.
Not so hot on ice and icy snow--even with screws in the tracks.
They ride more like a motorcycle than a snow mobile.
You can't be afraid to lean...and give it the gas....

MD

luv2fish2

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2011, 07:28 PM »
my 2 cents  i own a 87 alpine a 95 bearcat 440 fan and groom trails for the local snowmobile club with a wt skandic and a swt skandic unless your towing a house a bearcat 95-2000 will work fine get a fan cooled one liquids over heat if the snow is minimal skandic wt is 20 inch wide swt is 24 inch pretty heavy if you get stuck depends on what your doing wider the  track more pulling  power bearcat is probably cheapest guess whatever is the right price is what you'll buy my opinion only bearcat is easiest on fuel but i love the alpine the best but it's not for the trails

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2011, 08:24 PM »
my 2 cents  i own a 87 alpine a 95 bearcat 440 fan and groom trails for the local snowmobile club with a wt skandic and a swt skandic unless your towing a house a bearcat 95-2000 will work fine get a fan cooled one liquids over heat if the snow is minimal skandic wt is 20 inch wide swt is 24 inch pretty heavy if you get stuck depends on what your doing wider the  track more pulling  power bearcat is probably cheapest guess whatever is the right price is what you'll buy my opinion only bearcat is easiest on fuel but i love the alpine the best but it's not for the trails

Thank you for the info! I have actually been leaning towards the bearcat now. I see they have a 660 turbo. Any experience or any idea as to when that was offered? I figure the older 660 turbo I can find the better chance I'll be able to afford it.
-John Buchan

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:36 PM »
I can't say I've got any first hand experience with either the bearcat or the Skandic, but they both have a strong following, so odds are you can't go wrong with either of them. Just look for the best deal and enjoy.

By the way, here is my 1997 Tundra, they're much smaller and lighter, only a 270cc fan cooled single, but great for pulling lighter loads and very easy on gas.

A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Iceroach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:56 PM »
I don't think you'll be able to find any 660 turbo's for under $2,500.  Good luck though.  One thing no one had mentioned is you may want to consider is what dealers are close.  If you need a part soon, you'll have to drive to one of them.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2011, 10:04 PM »
I don't think you'll be able to find any 660 turbo's for under $2,500.  Good luck though.  One thing no one had mentioned is you may want to consider is what dealers are close.  If you need a part soon, you'll have to drive to one of them.
looks like the first year Turbo 660 is going for about $4000. I might just save for one. If I can find one that is!
-John Buchan

Offline Iceroach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:34 PM »
If you're up for a drive you can check out www.snowmobileauction. com.  The best deal you'll find on one would probably be at Hay Days, but that's a year away.   The swap meets around the midwest can have good deals as well.  There's always sites like craigslist and sledswap.   You won't steal one on Arcticchat or hardcoresledder ( at least until the snow is gone ), but you can also look up more about the sled.  I've rode all makes of sleds except Polaris, but I'm not familiar with the 660T.  I would STRONGLY advise looking it up on Arcticchat or HCS, before buying one, especially a first year model.   I'm a fan of Arctic Cat, you could look into a Wildcat Longtrack Efi, or the same in a zr for not a lot of money.   Unless you have a death wish and a good insurance policy, stay away from the big block doubles and triples.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2011, 08:25 AM »
If you're up for a drive you can check out www.snowmobileauction. com.  The best deal you'll find on one would probably be at Hay Days, but that's a year away.   The swap meets around the midwest can have good deals as well.  There's always sites like craigslist and sledswap.   You won't steal one on Arcticchat or hardcoresledder ( at least until the snow is gone ), but you can also look up more about the sled.  I've rode all makes of sleds except Polaris, but I'm not familiar with the 660T.  I would STRONGLY advise looking it up on Arcticchat or HCS, before buying one, especially a first year model.   I'm a fan of Arctic Cat, you could look into a Wildcat Longtrack Efi, or the same in a zr for not a lot of money.   Unless you have a death wish and a good insurance policy, stay away from the big block doubles and triples.

Thanks for the sites/info. I will check them out. Basically I am looking for something that can pull a permy, haul a lot of gear, fan cooled, electric and pull start, reverse, and handwarmers. I also wouldn't mind being able to hang with my buddies when they nail it. That's why I'm leaning towards the 660T.
-John Buchan

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2011, 01:35 PM »
looks like you want your cake and eat it too. Don't think you will find a sled that will do everything listed. The newer tundras will be the best all around sled you can get. They will run right up to 80-85 mph(if you believe speedo) Haul all you need and light enough to get out when stuck. I had several super jags and liked them very well. They only ran 45 wide open, That was fine. They were great in the bush. Then I got my first tundra. Believe it had a 250 single cylinder engine. It was so old it was orange. I was hooked. It would only do 40 wide open, But would go pretty much anywhere. I found a newer tundra 2 lt at auction and bought it. Never would have anything else. I have rode scandics and they are heavy feeling to me. Save your money. Winter is almost here. Go try some out and decide what you like. Good luck finding what you want, I am sure you will in time.   Steve

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2011, 04:44 PM »
looks like you want your cake and eat it too. Don't think you will find a sled that will do everything listed. The newer tundras will be the best all around sled you can get. They will run right up to 80-85 mph(if you believe speedo) Haul all you need and light enough to get out when stuck. I had several super jags and liked them very well. They only ran 45 wide open, That was fine. They were great in the bush. Then I got my first tundra. Believe it had a 250 single cylinder engine. It was so old it was orange. I was hooked. It would only do 40 wide open, But would go pretty much anywhere. I found a newer tundra 2 lt at auction and bought it. Never would have anything else. I have rode scandics and they are heavy feeling to me. Save your money. Winter is almost here. Go try some out and decide what you like. Good luck finding what you want, I am sure you will in time.   Steve

Thank you, I will be taking a hard look at the Tundras this summer.
-John Buchan

Offline parker08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2011, 05:27 PM »
I realize you are lookin at newer sleds but I figured I would give you my two cents.  I've got a '91 Skandic and that thing is a tank! Its got the 377 fan with a 139" track. It wont go much over 50 but it would pull a house off its foundation if I needed it to.  I love that sled.  If I was going to upgrade I'd go with SWT.

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2011, 03:37 PM »
I think any Utility will do good for what you want. The Bear Cat is a great sled especillay the newer ones. I'm a skidoo guy myslef. Had a 300 cc Tundra and updraded to a 550 cc Tundra.  Both did real well in all the slush on Simcoe last year. It is really hard to find used Tundras but they are out there. Keep an eye on kijiji but they don't last more than a few days on there.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:55 PM »
For the model years you stated, either will be great.  However, for the model years you stated, I think the best all around sled for Everything, pulling, 2up ride comfort, fuel mileage, simplicity, tight trails, my choice would be a picked bearcat 440 fan.
All the skidoos  are Awesome utility sleds that'll float better the bearcat.
All the SD also suck down more fuel except the older 250 and newer 300 with single carb. But those two had shorter long tracks136".

The bearcat 340 was a single carb, but 136" track.
The bearcat 440 was a single carb but 16"x156" track   and was reliable, economical, had a fairly luxury ride, floats well with wide skins, and is pretty nimble in the woods on groomed narrow trails.
The bearcat 440 II  had dual carbs and a 20"x156" track. 

I'm not brand loyal,  Skandics, Tundras, and Bearcats are all excellent machines.
I'll probably be in the market for another used sled in 3 years and I'm keeping a watchful eye on how the 500lb. Skandic 600ace does in that time.
But if I found a bearcat 440f for short money, I'd jump on it, as that would suit my needs perfectly.  It's the fuel mileage and ride comfort that appeals to me.
NB
update:  reading this again I wanted to mention I know a few guys on my lake with Skandic 550f WT.  Those are absolute workhorses.  I've not met anyone that dislikes that machine.  But they are newer models. 2008 and 2009.  I believe the years you mention had both the 503f and the 550f (both reliable motors).  Stay away from the SkiDoo 440...

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2011, 06:49 AM »
Having had a Skandic for a few years now, I can say that I love it for ice fishing.  I swear it will pull anything I hook to it.  Mine has the 500 fan which is plenty 'o power...the only down side is that it's a pull start, so when cold, it's a beast to start.  Once warm it's ok, but with high compression, I often long for electric start.  The electric start about the only thing I can say I would want to add.  I haven't actually used a Bearcat, so it's tough to honestly compare, but I have a friend who has one and by his accounts, I'll stick with my Skandic. 

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2011, 12:05 PM »
I'm more of a skidoo guy, have had too many days where Arctic cats have need a tow. Heard some of the 550's have melt down problems.

I ride a polaris indy trail deluxe, its a 488, 136" track but I put on a 1 1/4" track and 8" ski skins on the front, has served me well for 5 seasons

Offline back2backcrappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:40 AM »
A few years ago I was looking at snowmobiles and was not very familiar with them. Got a bravo and it pullled gear no problem but usually I never fish alone so the second guy had to either walk or ride in the sleigh.
Got a 98 Polaris Trail Touring for $1700 in really good condition and it's been great. It's a 488 fanner with stock everything. I did find I burnt the belt a bit by end of winter so this year I geared it down by replacing the top gear from a 20 tooth to an 18. This will change from 2:1 to 2.22:1 so I hope this will make a difference this year.
Also for this year I bought a small welder and built a custom rack to put the fish finders and other breakables in. Nice thing about this Polaris was it already had factory bolts to attach a factory rack which are discontinued. Just built it to match and bolt on.
I think any snowmobile will do and most issues people have is we bring too much gear for fishing. Old days it was rod and bucket and walk on. Simple.
Whatever you get I think a 2up is a must unless you always fish alone or with someone who has a snowmobile.

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2012, 05:34 PM »
avoid any arctic cat with a 550cc star (fuji) engine.  clutch side crank seals let go for no reason other than they're probably female.     the bearcat with the 440cc is a fine sled but, will never be a ski-doo.   go with the yellow sled.

luv2fish2

« Reply #25 on: Mar 11, 2012, 05:25 PM »
avoid any arctic cat with a 550cc star (fuji) engine.  clutch side crank seals let go for no reason other than they're probably female.     the bearcat with the 440cc is a fine sled but, will never be a ski-doo.   go with the yellow sled.
arctic cat uses suzuki motors,polaris used to use fuji/ star motors but they are now liberty /polaris ,550  is    liquid   the
liquid  340/440 are fan,polaris 550 is a fan

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 11, 2012, 05:59 PM »
                                                                                                                                                 for the money your looking to spend, i would get a yamaha bravo lt. its not gonna win any speed races but it is very reliable.

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2012, 05:55 PM »
arctic cat uses suzuki motors,polaris used to use fuji/ star motors but they are now liberty /polaris ,550  is    liquid   the
liquid  340/440 are fan,polaris 550 is a fan
you are right and i stand corrected. the 550cc in the cat was is the point i was trying to make.  S O R R Y!
they guy next door owned a bearcat with the 550 liquid cooled engine. melted the clutch side piston twice. sold it to his brother who promptly burned it down same thing.   that sled was rebuilt by different shops and none could get it right. proper rebuilds were done by reputable local shops.
my bestestbud owned a cougar with the same engine. 550 liquid.   burned it down on the clutch side, had it rebuilt by the arctic cat dealer who sold it to him, burned it down  again.    . put a different engine in it, 550, burned it down. sold the sled. i personally know the mechanic who did the work and it was right as could be. 
just a poor engine for whatever reason was the point i was trying to make from the people i know. 
the 440 fan cooled engines seem to be much better for whatever reason.    even the 440 liquid cools don't tend to give up like the 550cc ones that cat used.
the 500cc indy polaris seemed to be almost bulletproof.   a friend of mine bought one used with 5000 miles on it.   sold it when it had over 8800 miles on it. the last time i talked to the 3rd owner, it had over 12,000 miles on it and the engine has yet to be rebuilt and still has/had around 110 pounds of compression per hole.   not too shabby. must have been made on a Wednesday.
talk about bulletproof the  Yamaha bravo and old VK's would be my choice for an ice fishing, trapping, hunting, hauling wood workhorse.   super.  their weak point seemed to be the oil injection pump.   alot of the locals unhooked the oil injection pump on the yamaha's and ran pre-mix at about 40 or 50:1  never heard of one of those engines burning down.

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 13, 2012, 09:41 AM »
This is what you need right here. It's a ski doo safari-cheyanne. It wieghs in at a little over 400 pounds so its actually pretty light. It's got the bullet proof rotax 503 fan, plenty of power. 16.5x136" track, pulls great but isnt too bulky, over all chassis is a little wider than a tundra. Only goes about forty (geared llooooowww) but pulls like a tractor. Mines an '89 and was only $1200. It has 1600 miles on it. They made 'em from about '87 to '91. It evolved into the skandic line. Oh and it's manual start with reverse  ;D

Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Offline Ise De By

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I loves me some fishin'
« Reply #29 on: Mar 13, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Yamaha VK540 Viking,   best utility sled built hands down,   20x156 track,  elec start, with manual backup, hi/low range with reverse,  tallest 2 up seat of any sled I ever drove,   huge storage UNDER the seat for tools, rods, fishing gear etc,   pulls like a horse

Ise de by who catches the fish...and takes em home to Liza.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.