New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: In line reels  (Read 1575 times)

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
In line reels
« on: Dec 02, 2018, 02:40 AM »
I was thinking of setting up a pole for the shantie with the in line reel would like some feed back pros & cons ... what kinds ? I don’t know to much about them...
images.jpeg

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: In line reels
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2018, 09:45 AM »
I here you really feel the bite with the braided line ... I have never really used them..
images.jpeg

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2018, 09:58 AM »
I use them now for couple years ,I like them ,but they freewheel when letting line out I've had to learn to be careful about letting out to fast to avoid backlash , and I have several different makes and have learned as with everything , more expensive with a name is not necessary better!! My most expensive one is the one I like the least

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:00 AM »
I fish in a shack and use fire line on my 6061s with a copolymer leader ,, but I don’t use them for pans , but do use them for walleyes , perch and lakers , remember a lot has to do with your ice rod far as feel , if your interested try a cheaper model as they aren’t everyone’s cup of tea,  jmo

Offline Fisherman21021

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I have a frabill Black ops inline rod and reel and I love it.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2018, 05:00 PM »
i personally don't care for them over priced if you ask me but that's personal opinion

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2018, 05:06 PM »
I run 6061’s as filet does. 6# copolymer main line to 8# flouro leader. I mostly fish in a shack. It’s what works for me, for walleye and perch.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2018, 05:37 PM »
anyone ever use a conventional or level wind?

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:16 PM »
a level wind isn't really what you want for ice fishing , too slow to deal with.  I started using a frabill 3.71 a few years ago. I now have 4 of them with the only issue being a broken one that had previously been returned to the store . as far as back lash is concerned you adjust your reel to the weight of your lure, problem solved. it is as simple as turning a thumb screw and takes about 4 seconds. you can readjust all day long as you change your lures while fishing.  I'm very happy with mine. the drag is smooth and very dependable as I have landed 6 lb walleye on 2 lb test line. I'm still looking for that "just right" reel lube which never freezes in fridged weather but I think that is a factor with most reels. this reel is an excellent choice for panfish when coupled with a nice ulta light rod. good luck  be safe

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:20 PM »
anyone ever use a conventional or level wind?
1 of my buds uses 1 for eyes and lakers

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:34 PM »
I'm thinking  they would work good no line twist  adjust the   drop speed   drag  and  line wouldn't fall off the reel ,  reel is sturdy  close to the rod and rugged......me personally I think one  would get all the benefits of a  inline  but I would be more comfortable ....... now I'm thinking

Offline calicatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:47 PM »
I use them with bigger baits and deeper water only. Great jigging for eyes in water 15' or more.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:59 PM »
less then 15 foot you don't need a reel anyways

this is what i fish with 99 percent of the  time ...drag  loosen  nut quick  :roflmao:

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2018, 08:48 PM »
...as far as back lash is concerned you adjust your reel to the weight of your lure, problem solved. it is as simple as turning a thumb screw and takes about 4 seconds. you can readjust all day long as you change your lures while fishing...
I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to back lashes with inlines. When I see a good mark on my screen and i start stripping line off the reel to get my jig falling as fast as possible is usually when i end up with a mark on the screen and a tangled reel. More of an issue with small panfish jigs or spoons that have a lot of flutter. I love my black Betty for heavier jigs like buckshots.
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Mack2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06:41 AM »
I was thinking of setting up a pole for the shantie with the in line reel would like some feed back pros & cons ... what kinds ? I don’t know to much about them...

I started using an inline last year, and I love it. Everything has pro and cons though, the biggest con I've noticed is that they seem to freeze up faster if you're not in a shanty also the line can jump off the spool and of course you have to be mindful of backlash. Oh and one other thing that bugs me... on mine at least, the drag is silent.

I'd suggest picking up a cheap one and giving it a shot, if you pencil grip or palm be sure to get a fender or one with an integrated fender.

This may be common knowledge, but when purchasing... the left and right hand reels refer to the hand you'll be reeling with. for example I'm right handed and work the rod with my right hand so I'd want a left hand reel.     

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06:58 AM »
Good info on the right and left handed reels.  It would not be good ordering the wrong one.  Personally, I tried an in line and it just doesn’t work for me.  I spend most of my time hole hopping outside chasing crappies. Look, drop,run.  I find that dropping a small jig is faster with light 2 lb. test on a spinning reel. When I am in a shed fishing perch or eyes, it really doesn’t matter and I suppose an in line would work well there but then again so does a spinning reel.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:02 AM »

I had to change all my 6061s from Left to right , Wasn’t bad at all

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:06 AM »
I have  a  in line (don't use it much) but no expert  ...left  and  right handed   just  turn the reel the other way and respool it right?

Offline Mack2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2018, 09:15 AM »
I have  a  in line (don't use it much) but no expert  ...left  and  right handed   just  turn the reel the other way and respool it right?

Some can flip some can't. I'm using one that has a trigger free spool feature, which couldn't be turned to suit.

edit: the can't be flipped mostly refers to reels that aren't 1:1 if its geared it'll only spin in one direction, so if you flipped it the line would come off the other side of the spool (the bottom instead of the top) and you'd have to reel in the reverse direction. However some reels the internals can be flipped to change from right to left, just important to know what you're getting 

Offline Mack2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2018, 09:24 AM »
I here you really feel the bite with the braided line ... I have never really used them..

I love braid for open water, however on ice it's garbage. Every braid I've tried hasn't work out, it traps water (no matter what label says it brings water in with it) and freezes everything up.

If someone has used braid that actually works on ice please, lets hear bout it!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2018, 09:26 AM »
I love braid for open water, however on ice it's garbage. Every braid I've tried hasn't work out, it traps water (no matter what label says it brings water in with it) and freezes everything up.

Works great in a warm hut.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:16 AM »

Every time they come out I try a spool of the newest ice braid that claims to tackle the freezing issue (fireline, power pro, 832). They all lock up like a brick in the cold.

I still love fireline for in the shack but keep a couple of rods with fluoro to hole hop. On the original subject,  Inlines are great with fluoro because they eliminate that spinning reel line twist you get.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2018, 12:40 PM »
Works great in a warm hut.
X2 on fishing braid and super lines warm

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:46 PM »
A lot of input about the in line reels...  I think I will have to give 1 a serious try this year... a few different options & models to choose from.. for the shantie should be good...  thanks guys    stay on top :) :tipup:
images.jpeg

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:04 PM »
I like using them mainly for panfish, the freewheel is nice. I don’t know that I trust the drag all that much on bigger fish although I’ve brought in eyes and an occasional pickerel or bass with them and haven’t had a problem. I still like using a spinning reel when jigging rapalas etc. for eyes

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Used some of the first models worked good for drop and no line twist.  The early ones i felt drag sucked but the newer ones feel much better
Just enjoying life

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:59 AM »
Hey Bushy are we going to fish together this year??
images.jpeg

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:20 AM »
I love 'em.
Black Betty and an Eagle Claw, both exceptional for the small jigs I use almost exclusively. Much less memory to the line so the jig hangs straight down, I feel the light bites.
I'm always an outside jigger, no hut for me, and no icing issues (rod tips occasionally, but not reels). Don't overfill reel with line and very little issue with reeling in/backlash issues. Drag works fine, I've caught +25 inch pickerel on 3# test quite often, as long as the hook is in lip, not inhaled (obviously!).
I just got my rods out of storage to prep for this season...spinning rod lines had serious memory problems and in lines were straight as ever. Will replace line as always on all reels...
Ford or Chevy, blonde or brunette?   ;D
And if you ask Mary Ann or Ginger?...Mary Ann! mmm...coconut cream pie and in line reels!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:52 AM »
I bought 2 of the cheaper ones from HT last year. They work nice and smooth;real good for the $. But they do not free-wheel so a bit of a hassle for me in deeper water...what I call over 20'.  But I do use them on my 24" rods inside the shanty in shallower water. What I like most about them is they are a lot lighter than many of the other ones out there. Good luck with your decision.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2018, 05:53 AM »
I use a cheap fly reel for my jig poles. Have a decent drag and can be switched from left to right hand and work great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.