Author Topic: Packing Light - Hiking Backpack  (Read 1319 times)

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Packing Light - Hiking Backpack
« on: Oct 20, 2018, 04:26 PM »
This past summer I received a Cabelas 45L hiking backpack as a gift. Got the idea now that I could double it as a lightweight pack for use on longer walks. The front opens all the way up to access everything, which is very nice. I’ve been toying with the idea of somehow attaching my drill auger setup to the pack. I’m thinking about lashing it on somehow. I have some caribiners that I picked up for a different project that I thought I could use for this as well. I also thought that a kind of gear tie like the Nite Ize types could work well and be quick and easy to use. Any good ideas on how to lash it to the pack somehow?

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Packing Light - Hiking Backpack
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Excellent idea. Carry most if not all your gear and leave your hands free. ;) ;) @)
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2018, 07:51 PM »
I have done exactly this many times. There's one place that we fish that we have to walk over the side of a mountain. I will put 90% of my gear in the pack on my back, and pull my shanty almost empty. The auger straps nicely to the side of the pack. It's a very convenient way when the snow gets deep, or you have to transverse different grades.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2018, 07:51 PM »
My lx7 fits nicely in the bottom of the pack.

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Excellent idea. Carry most if not all your gear and leave your hands free. ;) ;) @)

Exactly my thought! If anything I’d definitely use it early ice so I only have my spud in my hand. I also thought it’d work well if/when there’s a ton of snow and I don’t need a shack. I did a rough pack and my LX6 fits well with an extra pair of gloves and the couple other things I need. There’s more than enough room, and I’d be traveling light and carrying the minimal almost of gear. Pretty roomy

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2018, 12:37 PM »
I have done exactly this many times. There's one place that we fish that we have to walk over the side of a mountain. I will put 90% of my gear in the pack on my back, and pull my shanty almost empty. The auger straps nicely to the side of the pack. It's a very convenient way when the snow gets deep, or you have to transverse different grades.
Fontana19, is there any way you could strap the auger to your pack ,n, snap a pic of you wearing your pack? thank you. wire

Offline dntbeamenace4031

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2018, 04:24 PM »
most packs like that have straps/clips on the bottom for a sleeping pad or bag.  I generally use those and wrap it around my auger, works ok.  the best is if you can somehow get the auger horizontal across the top of the pack (better weight distribution and doesn't bang against your knees), but generally I need a hard frame pack to make that work.  Sorry I don't have any pics with it on my back

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2018, 05:04 PM »
if i were traveling light i would try to leave the drill auger at home and get one of the fin bore folding augers to bring. if not i would look at how the rifle/ bow carry backpacks are attaching to the pack.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2018, 06:09 PM »
Fontana19, is there any way you could strap the auger to your pack ,n, snap a pic of you wearing your pack? thank you. wire

I'd break it down for your long walks. Put the flighting and shaft horizontal using the straps that are made for sleeping bags/pads. I'm not sure what I'd do with the plate and drill. If you don't break it down, it's not going to be balanced and won't be very pleasant to hike with.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Couple idea for packing light..

As for shelter what about a 10 x 10 thick parachute nylon  tarp and two folding aluminum poles with some guide line ropes and ice spike tent stakes .to make a shelter that would pack into your pack? . then look up tarp shelters how to design them with what I listed..  I would even. Throw two one pound propane cylinder and a little buddy hear in it cause I know your not pulling a shelter??  that far at least a big one?? 

I suggest the 10 x 10 tarp over
Maybe a otter cabin on a viking deer drag sled??

Also look in to snow shoes or building your own snow shoes..  out of pvc with hot sand and making a form to mold them too??  If doing the night thing maybe a propane lantren instead of the heater??

I would more be worried about heat when I get there cause once you stop moving as in hiking or walking  is when you will get cold mainly wile sitting fishing.. also look in to light camp stools or chairs there are a few.. i like the frabill tri-leg version I recommend.. that can be packed like the  auger or with it on the pack ??

Even can be thown on the viking deer drag sled .. the deer drag sled is long as a small shanty and narrow but I suggest getting a pulling harness if going long distances .  there really is no ware to store stuff like  takle buckets etc.. etc..  on the deer drag sleds..  this sled is perfect for pulling light gear long distances.  Over snow.. but once packed with shanty auger and seat there's no ware for gear like lantren, heater ,tackle, buckets ,etc.. that's ware that back pack would work good!! 

Also what about a fish finder and battery and a gps ??   

Have seen a band made out of a rather large hose clamp with a ram mount mount for rails mounted around battery like a 12 v battery at 7 amp and and mounted a handle under the hose clamp to carry it.. seen this for lowrance units I am sure the marcumm show down fish finders would be just as good??

Also hand help gps units maybe with lake maps??

Only other  thing I may suggest is removing the blades off the auger?? To strap them to a non frame pack??  Just encase blade guard falls off?? And reinstalling once there and pack a Allen wrench or two with extra blade screws just encase you dop one??

ALSO Ski Poles FOR Snow SHOEING tO Keep ballance??

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2018, 01:03 PM »
I tried this and failed.
Seems I needed a sturdy framed pack. Other wise your gear will just bounce around making u tired much faster.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.