The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: 2# stren hi-vis gold line  (Read 2087 times)

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
2# stren hi-vis gold line
« on: Oct 22, 2018, 11:29 AM »
I have been looking on the web for some of the original gold line in 2# but I can't seem to find any. Does anyone have a source? I am NOT interested in trying another line.  Thanks
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 2# stren hi-vis gold line
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Obviously this stuff has been off the market for some time specifically in the 2lb test.  The closet thing you will find is the stren crappie mono in the 2lb test hi vis gold.  Most guys say this performs that same, perhaps better because it is a slightly thinner diameter with the same strength.  This is available in most online retail stores if you do a simple google search.  If you are truly looking for the 2 lb gold from about 10 years ago you are going to have to check ebay or a random garage sale find.  Anything you find online will be 2-3x times the cost of the crappie mono and most likely a bulk spool that has 100 y or less.  Good luck.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2018, 02:18 PM »

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Fishusa has it.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Stren-Ice-Monofilament-Line

No they don't. LOL You did in fact find it but that was from 2013.

This Product is out for the season. Please check back in October.

Notify me when this product is in stock

I would also be weary of anything in a garage sale. Line does not last forever, used or not.
Just add water.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2018, 08:22 AM »
I agree the garage sale stuff is hit and miss.  Stored inside out of the light, it will do better but not everyone does that.  I know the stuff that was on ebay was from a larger tackle shop selling old stock from their bulk spools.  Some spools were 50-100% full but there was a lot 100 yards or less. 

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2018, 10:34 AM »
I checked ebay,amazon, bass pro,cabelas, fish usa, and about a dozen others. Not one of them had any, the crappie stuff looks like the gold ice line which I thought sucked. I'll keep looking. If anyone finds some please post. Thanks

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2018, 11:18 AM »
you may not be searching correctly. did they call the color gold? i have some of the older orange line and really like it. just be careful of older line that it has the same elasticity as it did when new. test it with your hands. it should have some stretch to it before it breaks, and not just snap snap snap.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2018, 11:47 AM »

I believe the smallest they make the original gold stren is 4#

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2018, 05:17 AM »
I just looked at the Stren web site and they say they have it. I tried to put it in my checkout cart and it went fine. I checked to see if it would be back ordered and it looked like it would ship. Is this the stuff you're looking for?

http://www.stren.com/stren-line-monofilament-stren-crappie/stren-crappie-mono/1347939.html

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2018, 11:59 AM »
No not the crappie line but the original hi vis gold. I was in Cabelas Saturday and they had hi-vis gold in 6# and8# it looked more orange than gold. I really wish Stren would quit (improving) their line. I swear the people making these changes have never gone fishing!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2018, 02:25 PM »
No not the crappie line but the original hi vis gold. I was in Cabelas Saturday and they had hi-vis gold in 6# and8# it looked more orange than gold. I really wish Stren would quit (improving) their line. I swear the people making these changes have never gone fishing!

Do we know the difference between Crappie mono and Original mono?  Maybe just the packaging?
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2018, 05:05 AM »
I figured it was pretty much just a marketing thing, but yeah, I love it when they fix something that wasn't broken in the first place.  ???

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2018, 11:09 AM »
When I was at Cabelas I asked if they had some of the #2 crappie line big surprise they did not, not any in any pound test. So I'm looking to find some to compare. I have a Gander near me I will check there.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2018, 06:56 AM »

The original 2# was .007 the hi-vis crappie .006

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.