The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New season new gear.  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New season new gear.
« Reply #30 on: Oct 21, 2018, 12:37 PM »
I'm thinking of getting an ice kit for my lowrance 4x elite. Other than that, all I need is a few inches of ice! :tipup:

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 22, 2018, 06:10 AM »
 [Quote ]  I'm thinking of getting an ice kit for my lowrance 4x elite. Other than that, all I need is a few inches of ice! :tipup: ]

I think I'll stick with my Garmin Striker 4 for the ice since I already have it setup for that purpose  . The Helix 9 is just to expensive and big and would probably drain my 7amp hour battery too fast . Besides , if something bad happened on the ice , I could replace the Gamin 13 times compared to the Helix .

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Oct 29, 2018, 06:36 PM »
I'm looking for a wider 1 man hut.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #33 on: Oct 29, 2018, 06:58 PM »
I picked up a wheeler and a trailer this summer.. just need to get it registered and insured and get a townar welded up and I'm ready to hit the ice

Offline Black Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Oct 29, 2018, 07:30 PM »
I just received the Eskimo Quick Flip 1 I ordered. This is my first flip-over sled/shelter and it looks to be pretty easy and convenient to use on the ice. I've spent a pretty good buck on ice gear so far this year, and I am hoping we will see enough ice this year to make it worthwhile. Otherwise I will be pretty P.O.'d. i will say a prayer to the Ice Gods.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Oct 29, 2018, 08:53 PM »
I'm looking for a wider 1 man hut.

Hey Brother, I've been eyeing up the Eskimo Wide 1 Inferno, the front expands and gives you almost 5 1/2 feet more fishing area, it's fully insulated, and the price isn't bad compared to other brands.  It's on the heavier side but on a Smitty sled it should pull pretty easy.  Cowdawg had one and said he liked it.  I hope this helps you out.

Offline Rcott717

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Oct 30, 2018, 10:21 AM »
LL Bean has 25% off Jack traps if anyone is interested in them.  Top of the line.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Oct 30, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Hey Brother, I've been eyeing up the Eskimo Wide 1 Inferno, the front expands and gives you almost 5 1/2 feet more fishing area, it's fully insulated, and the price isn't bad compared to other brands.  It's on the heavier side but on a Smitty sled it should pull pretty easy.  Cowdawg had one and said he liked it.  I hope this helps you out.

I was actually considering picking up one of those for the quick run out to the lake for a couple hours . Save the big Quickfish 5i for the ALL DAY excursions .

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 30, 2018, 06:29 PM »
I seen That buddy.
I TALKED  to Cowdawg about it and he said the front is a hub design have to fold poles down to move it.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Oct 30, 2018, 06:46 PM »
I saw that they have a spreader bar which didn't seem like a big deal to me, just have to remember to step over it.  I didn't think it was flimsy or would break too easily unless I beat on it.  What's your and Mike's thoughts on the spreader bar?

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 31, 2018, 05:38 AM »
I have the Clam big mouth, it's basically the same thing as the wide 1. I like the way the front opens on the Clam but you gotta keep it lubed for the winter or it'll freeze up on you (silicone spray fixes it). Had that happen a couple times. And one of the side zippers froze up and I pulled off one of the zipper grasps. All my fault for not knowing better. But, when you open that front up, it gives you a ton of extra room. There is a bit of a problem with the side walls kinda bowing to the inside when it's opened up. I have to be careful where I put my heater so it doesn't get brushed by the wall when it's windy.

CowDawg

« Reply #41 on: Oct 31, 2018, 04:09 PM »
Now now.. you guys are all messed up... again.

I had a Shappell FX150........  sold it last season.... nice and roomy but too freakin' heavy!!! I don't want my heart attack just yet...  also it was non insulated...

so I upgraded or so I thought... 

I found a used Eskimo Wide 1...  bought that at a good price...  BUT I didn't realize the Wide 1 was only partially insulated. (older model) by a year or 2.. 
I kinda missed that upon my inspection.   I only seen the insulation on the roof and front door panel didn't realize there's nothing on the sides.

The newer model is the Wide 1 Inferno.

Plus the old gent was a heavy cigarette smoker and I couldn't for the life of me get that stink out of the material..
So I sold it and upgraded again...

Last post season I got a brand new on sale, Otter XT Hideout..  Fully insulated all around.. and it's an excellent quality insulation.  Fancy seat and side consoles next to your legs to store your stuff for the day.

Chez.  the sled you talked to me about was the Eskimo EVO crossover.. that's the one that is half hub.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Oct 31, 2018, 05:55 PM »
Ya Mike you are right.my bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.