The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Big Buddy Heater  (Read 1139 times)

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big Buddy Heater
« on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:30 AM »
Just wondering if a Big Buddy heater would heat a 10 x 12 x 6+ ft wall size shack and how long would the two small propane bottles last. Temps would be around 20 to 30 degrees outside.

Thank you for your help

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Big Buddy Heater
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:57 AM »
It would heat it fine but probably not with the 1#ers. From what I hear the green bottles aren't able to run the unit on high and most people hook up to 20# tank. Look into it if you plan on running 1# tanks. I have the reg Mr. heater without the battery/fan, it runs 1#ers fine but I hook up to 20# in my permy.
It must be something in the water.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:58 AM »
The answer to that question would depend on how well the shack is insulated.
Your best bet would be the Big Buddy with the blower, that runs on a couple of "D" batteries.
You can forget about the small propane bottles. Go with a 30# tank. Make sure you have small vents on both ends of the shack in the eaves. 
I use the Big Buddy without the blower in my smelt shack, but it's only 5 x 8 and I only have to run it on low, once the shack is warmed up.

I don't know what you have for lights but I have LED and have a small solar panel facing South East. I bought a controller on line for about $12. I used to have to keep changing batteries but with the panel and controller, I use the same battery all year. Rig yourself a toggle switch for your lights, no need to keep connecting your cables anymore, the controller takes care of it.
Good Luck!
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:01 AM »
This is great info and thank you again for all the help!

Offline hookngal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:11 AM »
I got a Big Buddy heater for Christmas.
Used it for the first time 2 weekends ago.
Didn't have batteries in it for the blower
While running it, it would keep shutting off..
I'm assuming it was because I didn't have the blower on??

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:14 AM »
I run my big buddy in my 2 man clam and it’s like a sauna!!

Don’t bother with the 1lbers, get a low pressure regulated hose (don’t need a filter with that) and a quick connect fitting. If you use a regular hose (not low pressure regulated) you’ll need to use the mr heater filter, I believe.

I also picked up a 1 gallon cylinder on amazon, and even though they’re expensive... it’s so much better than hauling the 20 pounder around.

Hose:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0753BKSYC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516716479&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=charbroil+low+pressure+hose&dpPl=1&dpID=41AwzkWJ3ML&ref=plSrch

Fitting:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000AMC5WY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516716538&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=mr+heater+quick&dpPl=1&dpID=31DMhFzXCEL&ref=plSrch

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:18 AM »

I run mine without the fan all the time. It does blow out very easily if there is much of a draft in my shanty, though.

I also have problems with the thermocouple freezing up, and that’ll prevent the pilot from lighting. I have to preheat the heater with my lantern.

Gotta love a heater that doesn’t like to start when it’s cold! Hahaha

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:40 AM »

Those heaters have a safety oxygen sensor, I'll bet that's your problem. Drill a couple of small holes in in back of the shack behind  the heater for a vent. If it's a pop up, put a  section of pvc pipe through an opening to the heater for an air vent.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline cuttingspeed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:11 AM »
I have a Clam shelter, two small bottles(bring three to make sure) should last most of day on low setting. Plenty warm!

Offline gauge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:14 AM »
I totally agree, I too have a reg. Mr. Buddy.
On low setting heats up the Fish 3 and keeps the kids very comfortable.
2 bottles a day and I have plenty
Plus great way to cook hotdogs
Fishing the same way and expecting different results.

Offline METOVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maine to Vermont & Back
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:54 AM »
I have the big buddy and use it in my Polar 4 T. Don't really run the blower as it is hot enough on low. Use the small propane tanks and usually last an outing and a half. When I'm outside I normally shut the heat off. I've run it in my house when we lost heat and it worked well on high.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:19 AM »
I've used mine in a 6 x 12 pop up uninsulated, used it spring camping in the gash. I've had mine since my kids were small and didn't want them uncomfortable. They are now teens and we still use it. 1 pounders 20 pounders no filter beaten hard alot of the plastic is broke. My last trip it wouldn't start brought it home and cleaned it good fired right up. Those things are amazing and heat those size shacks with ease. My fan hasn't worked for 10 years or more.

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:38 AM »
I'm curious about those larger heaters that are made to hold the two green tanks, one on each side. I have the smaller version that runs on one bottle and use a 20 pound tank and hose...do you have to hook up two 20 pounders to run the larger ones, or do you have to put a y fitting in the hose?

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:51 AM »
I'm curious about those larger heaters that are made to hold the two green tanks, one on each side. I have the smaller version that runs on one bottle and use a 20 pound tank and hose...do you have to hook up two 20 pounders to run the larger ones, or do you have to put a y fitting in the hose?

You do not need anything. Each place that holds a tank has it's own check valve that's activated when you screw a tank or hose to it

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:55 AM »
so if I hook up a single green tank or 20 pounder and hose to just one side, all the burners will be supplied with gas and fired while the other other side's input is just closed off?

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:19 PM »
so if I hook up a single green tank or 20 pounder and hose to just one side, all the burners will be supplied with gas and fired while the other other side's input is just closed off?

You are correct and exactly how I use mine

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2018, 07:27 AM »
All good info here.
   I have the middle sized, I think it's just called the Mr Buddy heater .
  It has only 1 heating element, but it's larger size than the 2 individual elements in the big buddy.
     Very little to no fumes though as mentioned these heater still must be vented.
   I have run mine for 3 years now in my outdoor shop all from a 30-pound tank flawlessly.
   If you do use the one pound portable tanks you must have at least two whereas while one is being used it will become frosted heavily and lose pressure.
   Have the other tank in a warm location and if it's very cold never let these small one pound cylinders get to be outdoor temperature or they often will not work at all.
  For a full day's outing I would recommend a minimum of three or four of the one pound tanks so you can rotate and keep them warm as the one being used frosts heavily and loses pressure

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.