Author Topic: Chowder  (Read 1168 times)

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chowder
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:53 PM »
I went out on Winni on Sunday, and had a good day targeting white perch. I had a lot of action, losing a couple of nice whites at the hole, and numerous other fish farther down. This 15 incher was the only white I managed to land, but luckily for me, he was thick.

The perch was added to seafood chowder, along with scallops and shrimp. It was the highlight of the chowder. Firm and flaky.

In addition to losing a laker at the hole, I also managed to ice this 20” laker. Both lakers hammered a #12 3/64oz Glazba jig tipped with a 1” gulp minnow. The same rig the white perch was caught on. Luckily I was using my 4lb test rig, not the 2lb I have been using recently. He really put my drag to the test.

If you zoom in near the nose of the laker, you can see the jig. For such a small jig, those lakers were awfully aggressive!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Chowder
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:02 PM »
Nice!
Mind posting your chowder recipe please?

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:07 PM »
I used this recipe, except I used 2c 2% milk and 2c half and half instead of 4c milk.

https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/new-england-seafood-chowder/

The next time I make it, I think I’ll use 2c seafood stock, and 2c half and half in place of the 4c of milk.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Thank you!
Looks gooood!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:09 AM »

That looks incredible...did you cook the white perch first and if so how ?
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:29 AM »
Chowder is always nice... save your racks... shrimp shells clam shells even lobster shells... cook them in chicken stock..strain through a cheese cloth or fine screened colander...it'll be the best stock you ever made..

This is what became of a few of my white perch for he weekend... peas ( obviously frozen) from the garden. Jasmine rice ...and white perch fillets dredged in season flower...dipped in a beaten egg and rolled in panko bread crumbs...fried in sesame seed oil...I don't eat a lot of fried food... these delicacies are the exception... washed them down with a glass ( or two ) of Mondavi Cab.

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:21 AM »

That looks incredible...did you cook the white perch first and if so how ?

The raw perch was dropped into the chowder right after the potatoes started getting tender, about 10 minutes before the chowder was done. Next time I hope to have about double the perch so I can make a batch of just perch, no scallops or shrimp.

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Chowder is always nice... save your racks... shrimp shells clam shells even lobster shells... cook them in chicken stock..strain through a cheese cloth or fine screened colander...it'll be the best stock you ever made..

I’ve been reading up on making seafood stock, I just haven’t gotten the confidence to try it. The thought was on my mind while I was tossing those shrimp shells in the garbage. What I’d really like to do is use the perch carcasses to make the stock. From what I’ve read, you just need to remove the gills, and you can use the rest of the carcass?

That looks like a great meal. There is some extra satisfaction that comes in preparing a meal that uses meat you harvest, or produce you grow.

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:35 AM »
Thanks for the recipe, looks delicious!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:52 AM »

This is what became of a few of my white perch for he weekend... peas ( obviously frozen) from the garden. Jasmine rice ...and white perch fillets dredged in season flower...dipped in a beaten egg and rolled in panko bread crumbs...fried in sesame seed oil...I don't eat a lot of fried food... these delicacies are the exception... washed them down with a glass ( or two ) of Mondavi Cab.

Nice job Roccus, tasty looking meal  :thumbsup:    X2 on making your own broth
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:01 AM »
I like that stock idea. But instead of using chic stock for ‘the wash’ i’d Build it on canned clam broth. Yes, def use the fish frames head and all, just carefully cut out all the gills, and make sure all the bloody bits of entrails and viscera have been thoroughly cut out and the frames rinsed very clean.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:08 AM »
canned/ bottled clam works well. saving the water from steaming clams and mussels good too.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:28 AM »
I’ve been reading up on making seafood stock, I just haven’t gotten the confidence to try it. The thought was on my mind while I was tossing those shrimp shells in the garbage. What I’d really like to do is use the perch carcasses to make the stock. From what I’ve read, you just need to remove the gills, and you can use the rest of the carcass?

That looks like a great meal. There is some extra satisfaction that comes in preparing a meal that uses meat you harvest, or produce you grow.

the best advise I can give you is never be afraid to try anything... second...WATCH the SODIUM content... you can add it...but you cant take it out... chicken stock with low sodium is a perfect base.....low flavor and  low fat and sodium...shrimp shells or even better whole shrimp add a lot of flavor and sodium naturally.. any time I cook sea food  I save those juices and freeze them..all to be made into stock... fish heads also contain a lot of flavor... throw in a few pepper corns lightly crushed and a bay leaf or too...delicious..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:55 PM »
nice job. You would be surprised how well small jigs work on lakers. When the bites tough for me sometimes that's all that works. Have faith you can def land lakers of that size on 2lb test. I don't do it often but def can be done with confidence, just adjust drag accordingly. Good looking WP
Salmonemia

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:21 AM »
the best advise I can give you is never be afraid to try anything... second...WATCH the SODIUM content... you can add it...but you cant take it out... chicken stock with low sodium is a perfect base.....low flavor and  low fat and sodium...shrimp shells or even better whole shrimp add a lot of flavor and sodium naturally.. any time I cook sea food  I save those juices and freeze them..all to be made into stock... fish heads also contain a lot of flavor... throw in a few pepper corns lightly crushed and a bay leaf or too...delicious..

I’ll give this a try next time. Thanks!

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:24 AM »
nice job. You would be surprised how well small jigs work on lakers. When the bites tough for me sometimes that's all that works. Have faith you can def land lakers of that size on 2lb test. I don't do it often but def can be done with confidence, just adjust drag accordingly. Good looking WP

My experience with lakers has been that lighter line leads to a lighter drag which leads to more time for the fish to shake my hook, and lakers seem like hook shaking experts. I’m sure the 2lb test will hold up, I was just happy to have the added safety margin of the 4lb. He was working my drag heavily as it was.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.