Author Topic: Clam plate question?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam plate question?
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:36 PM »
K Drill 8 inch actually cuts 7 3/8 do I need the gear box? sold out now but next year? I don't think I need it because the K drill with the drill works just fine. Just wondering.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam plate question?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Kdrill is designed for higher rpms, no gearbox should be needed..

<°)))>{

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:02 PM »
I don't use one, just the drill on slow and it works fine.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:06 PM »
no gear box needed but you will need a adapter to hook it to the Clam plate.

this is the adapter you will need if you have a gen 4 plate (the one where you do not remove the chuck)

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/augers/k-drill-power-auger-adapter-for-conversion-kit.html

this is what you need if you have a plate that you have to remove the chuck from the drill :

https://kdrillauger.mysparkpay.com/adapter-for-clam-drill-plate
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Thanks all I got the model 9935 coming and ordered the reducer thanks all hope I like it. Is the 9935 the new model?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Thanks all I got the model 9935 coming and ordered the reducer thanks all hope I like it. Is the 9935 the new model?

Yes ..no chuck removal good luck with your purchase/set up.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:09 PM »
no gear box needed but you will need a adapter to hook it to the Clam plate.

this is the adapter you will need if you have a gen 4 plate (the one where you do not remove the chuck)

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/augers/k-drill-power-auger-adapter-for-conversion-kit.html

this is what you need if you have a plate that you have to remove the chuck from the drill :

https://kdrillauger.mysparkpay.com/adapter-for-clam-drill-plate

Good info Monti. I did not think this was rocket science but it really is. I bought the Clam plate and already had an old but unused 7 inch SM laser manual auger. I also have a new Rigid impact driver that is plenty tough enough to do the job. Some guys say they use hammer drills while others say no good.

The Clam plate is designed for a drill chuck but my impact has a half inch square drive for sockets. I thought about welding a socket to the Clam plate shaft but then I just broke down and bought the Milwaukee Fuel kit with 2 5 amp hour batteries. I don't have any need for the optional gear box with it because the drill powers through a foot of ice like it is butter. I am OK here with the short shaft but if we normally got much over a foot of ice I am sure I would buy the extension shaft to keep me upright when drilling. Break through at the bottom of each hole is not a big issue once you get the feel of the new drill and learn to let the blades do the work. I do know for sure that I have retired my SM gas auger even though it has been a very respectable auger since new.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Good info Monti. I did not think this was rocket science but it really is. I bought the Clam plate and already had an old but unused 7 inch SM laser manual auger. I also have a new Rigid impact driver that is plenty tough enough to do the job. Some guys say they use hammer drills while others say no good.

The Clam plate is designed for a drill chuck but my impact has a half inch square drive for sockets. I thought about welding a socket to the Clam plate shaft but then I just broke down and bought the Milwaukee Fuel kit with 2 5 amp hour batteries. I don't have any need for the optional gear box with it because the drill powers through a foot of ice like it is butter. I am OK here with the short shaft but if we normally got much over a foot of ice I am sure I would buy the extension shaft to keep me upright when drilling. Break through at the bottom of each hole is not a big issue once you get the feel of the new drill and learn to let the blades do the work. I do know for sure that I have retired my SM gas auger even though it has been a very respectable auger since new.

Gam

Folks were using hammer drills ...on drill mode and speed 1..thinking/knowing that hammer drills had better/stronger internal parts..not so much the case anymore..As far as impacts ...that's a no go ..you will wreck your auger drill and/or your wrist ...the extension on a Clam Plate is worth the $15 bucks...can get it to the height of your ol' SM gas auger ...your back will love you for it
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:25 PM »
Folks were using hammer drills ...on drill mode and speed 1..thinking/knowing that hammer drills had better/stronger internal parts..not so much the case anymore..As far as impacts ...that's a no go ..you will wreck your auger drill and/or your wrist ...the extension on a Clam Plate is worth the $15 bucks...can get it to the height of your ol' SM gas auger ...your back will love you for it
.         Funny seeing guys on their knees, when done drilling thru 10” ice, just to save a couple bucks !!

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:30 PM »
I'm thinking maybe just using my 7 inch Mora with an extension it's way cheaper than the K drill and 7 inches is a good size hole for most eyes and pike.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:57 PM »
I'm thinking maybe just using my 7 inch Mora with an extension it's way cheaper than the K drill and 7 inches is a good size hole for most eyes and pike.

You should be fine with that set up ...What make/model drill and ah on the batteries ...a 700 in/lbs drill and 4ah batteries are a must ...any thing less you will be disappointed in the performance .I would also recommend to loosen the blade screws/bolts on the auger and retighten evenly . :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:59 PM »
I have the Milwaukee 1200 with 5 amp batteries. Hardwater Diehard do you like yours?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:08 PM »
I have the Milwaukee 1200 with 5 amp batteries. Hardwater Diehard do you like yours?

My set up is a refurbished Dewalt 995 w/4 ah batteries...Clam Plate (no chuck removal)...8" Kdrill ...love it very much ...I went through almost every misstep you can imagine with my drill set ups ...picture hanging drill...slim batteries ...chuck removal required Clam Plate..if I were to do it again I would go with the Milwaukee 2703/2704.

PS sent you  PM 

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Thanks I got it thanks again

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:47 PM »
Looks like another piece of ice fishing equipment I need to buy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.