Author Topic: Glow sticks?  (Read 665 times)

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Glow sticks?
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:29 PM »
I was goofing around in the dollar store, and found some 6 inch glow pendants (four for a buck). Anyone tether 'em in a hole to attract fish at night?.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline EmptyPockets410

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Glow sticks?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:40 PM »
I'm interested to hear more on this thought, but do you know if it would be ok with the local warden?

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:08 PM »
You won't get as much glow because the cold water will slow down the chemical reaction, but there may still be enough to attract fish.

Offline Cortland15b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:15 PM »
Had a big school of smelt at a local lake schooling below my hole last night. Water is crystal clear you can sight fish to 20ft in the daytime. I shined my flashlight down at my bait and I felt like it attracted them to it. I had it pointing horizontal at the hole (flashlight was laying on the ground facing the hole) and the fish stayed by me. Don't know if it was the flashlight or not but hey doesn't hurt when it's 7pm and you need the flashlight on anyways to see what you're doing!

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:20 PM »
You won't get as much glow because the cold water will slow down the chemical reaction, but there may still be enough to attract fish.

I kinda figured that.  But still, a six inch chemlight at 34* may be dim, but will last longer than a glow jig charged with a phone light, wonnit?

I did a test, and the blue and green cylinders sank slowly, and the pink and yellow sticks floated when attached to the plastic loop. Basically near neutral buoyancy.  Clip em to a three way swivel? Above what? If it's near neutral, you could even use it deadsticking.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline punkinhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:00 PM »
I put 2in glow sticks directly on my leader with a small zip tie when there is snow on the ice and I tend to get more hits on them than I was without them.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Always been tempted to do this after using my long green light down the hole and seeing fish reaction to my jigs with and without it.   Problem is they disappear from the shelves after Halloween.👺

Offline esoxnepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Dollar stores almost always have them in stock.  Lots of different shapes and colors too.

Always been tempted to do this after using my long green light down the hole and seeing fish reaction to my jigs with and without it.   Problem is they disappear from the shelves after Halloween.👺

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:57 PM »
Cool...anyone know if they sink or require a weight?

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Couldn't hurt, after all, northland tackle is putting glow sticks right in thier lures...Glow Shot Spoons....caught a 3lbs. eelpout on one earlier this season.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:03 PM »
As a side note I have an actual underwater fish light 300 LED green, we sat around after sun down for 30 minutes without a bite and 5 minutes after it was in we had loads of tiny perch smashing jigs...take that at whatever value you deem appropriate.

But as far as glow sticks I use the dollar store ones on the top of my planer boards for night trolling.  Some types float for sure, others are more like a neutrally buoyant.  I think it is probably based on what company makes what patch when they order them from Shenzhen.  I think a safe bet is to assume that they won't drop like a rock.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.