The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: EYE IN THE SKY REPORT (SEBAGO, LITTLE SEBAGO & SABATTUS)  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
On Saturday I went up in my airplane and flew over the lake and took some pictures. As you can see, there are two pressure ridges, one SE of Raymond Beach and the other one SSE of Saint Joseph's College. There were people fishing everywhere as well as ATVs and snowmobiles throughout. I went out training the fish on Sebago Bait's bait on Sunday and I had 6 inches of ice in one spot and 10 inches on the wide open area. The ice was nice and solid with about 2 inches of snow on top of the ice. Up to Moosehead on Saturday there was 25 inches of ice off Rockwood. Plenty of ice for the upcoming derby this weekend, which I will be at.

Here are a couple pictures that I took this past Saturday. Tons of people fishing all 3 lakes of Little Sebago with ATVs and snowmobiles everywhere. Tons of people as well as vehicles on Sabattus. A majority of people fishing the north end. Plenty of nice landing spots for me!

http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline WishnIwasFishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: EYE IN THE SKY REPORT (SEBAGO, LITTLE SEBAGO & SABATTUS)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:13 PM »
Great report, thanks for all you guys do at Sebago Bait.......best bait shop in the biz  :tipup:

Offline redbandit850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Definitely saw you out there while out on Sabattus.....Thanks for the report!

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:03 PM »
great report and awesome pics ! thx

Offline glueguru

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:37 PM »
You didn't land over by Squaw island on Saturday did you?

Offline Bottle_O_Moxie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have you ever had to jig your scoop back up?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Nice report and pictures!

Now if we could only get a flasher that has an airborne transducer and hooks up into the radar avionics.......would make scoping out lakes quick and fun. 

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:19 AM »
Wayne , nice report and cool pictures!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:09 AM »
Another good report Wayne. I can still play copilot if you want to do a video.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Gettinjiggy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:22 PM »
 Thanks for the report !   Can't wait to get up to Rockwood at the end of February     Might need the auger extension by then ...
Flaaaaaaaaag!!!

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:24 PM »
Another good report Wayne. I can still play copilot if you want to do a video.

That would be fun because I'm not so good at taking pictures. I just point and hope. That day (Saturday) it was extremely windy and bumpy once I got up around 300+ feet, but at the airport just light winds. Moosehead was gusting up to 30 kts. When your banking the aircraft in the wind and trying to take pictures makes it challenging at times. I was mainly making right turns as that is the side I like to fly from, from the flight instructor days. I seemed to have the wing strut in all the pictures. It was still fun though and I'll go up again, so maybe pick you up in Brunswick and you can do the pictures/videos. This weekend I'm back up to Moosehead for the derby up there.
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Thanks for the report !   Can't wait to get up to Rockwood at the end of February     Might need the auger extension by then ...

We have jiffy/eskimo extensions at the shop and K Drill extensions came in today for the first time ever. I'm hanging on to one of them, just in case. Already 25 inches up to Moosehead off from Rockwood.
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:02 PM »
That would be fun because I'm not so good at taking pictures. I just point and hope. That day (Saturday) it was extremely windy and bumpy once I got up around 300+ feet, but at the airport just light winds. Moosehead was gusting up to 30 kts. When your banking the aircraft in the wind and trying to take pictures makes it challenging at times. I was mainly making right turns as that is the side I like to fly from, from the flight instructor days. I seemed to have the wing strut in all the pictures. It was still fun though and I'll go up again, so maybe pick you up in Brunswick and you can do the pictures/videos. This weekend I'm back up to Moosehead for the derby up there.

You find a nice day just give a shout. We could bring the drone along.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Nice pictures. It reminds me of back when Bud Holt taught me to fly before he moved back to Alaska. He soloed me at 8.5 hours in his Cessna 172. I was a little nervous to say the least. I used to with him when he flew clients into places then bring them back out. I guess I was the wing man on those trips. Lots of things ill never forget, fun times and some close calls. I did a few touch and goes on Sebec Lake after a big rain. The lake was glare ice and Bud wanted to get out to leak so he landed and the left wheel broke threw the ice....pop. There we sat...lol I hoped out, gave it a few tugs and he throttled out of that situation.
Thanks for jogging my memory on this rainy day
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Nice pictures. It reminds me of back when Bud Holt taught me to fly before he moved back to Alaska. He soloed me at 8.5 hours in his Cessna 172. I was a little nervous to say the least. I used to with him when he flew clients into places then bring them back out. I guess I was the wing man on those trips. Lots of things ill never forget, fun times and some close calls. I did a few touch and goes on Sebec Lake after a big rain. The lake was glare ice and Bud wanted to get out to leak so he landed and the left wheel broke threw the ice....pop. There we sat...lol I hoped out, gave it a few tugs and he throttled out of that situation.
Thanks for jogging my memory on this rainy day

I remember him in high school and where he had his seaplane base on the left shore in town. I grew up in Kokadjo (no cmp back then, only phone) and went to Greenville schools (20 miles one way). It was a lot of fun then and much different than today. The black frog was Mom's pizza and we all thought we were the pin ball wizard and Aunties Em's was the movie theater. We would be watching a movie then yell rat when one would run across the light. Leisure Life had a bowling alley below and us locals would call it "lose your wife". Squaw Mountain was so busy back then and bustling with people. I enjoy ice fishing up there a lot and try to get back up there most weekends in the winter. Bud was an amazing pilot and a true bush pilot of Greenville,
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:

Offline Bottle_O_Moxie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have you ever had to jig your scoop back up?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Another good memory right there.  Thanks for sharing. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.