The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Baker's Smelt Camps  (Read 2896 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Baker's Smelt Camps
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:21 AM »
Just saw this on their Facebook page and thought that I'd pass it along:
"Unfortunately due to The US Coast Guard sending the icebreakers up the river we will be pulling camps off today. We are hoping that it is just temporary and will be back on the ice as soon as possible. Please LIKE and SHAR to spread the word. Thank you and we hope to see you all again soon!"

Offline BFD5

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Baker's Smelt Camps
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:10 AM »
What's the chance they'll actually get back on the river this year? Haven't been able to get a trip in yet.  It would really suck if this is it for the smelt fishing this year.  For us it's much more than trying to catch a limit, which hasn't happened in years.  Those Friday nights on the river make some memories!

Offline Cnorkun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:13 AM »
I understand the Kennebec River has the bad ice dams and the Coast Guard is cutting through there...other rivers seem to be okay for now...

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:55 AM »
I assume it will just create a large fluctuation of water where they are located, and they are removing their shacks as a safety precaution.  I'm not a subject matter expert but I would hope after a few days of letting the water level settle, they could put them back out... maybe?  If anyone has real solid facts on this process I'd be curious to hear about it.  Thanks
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline tkmoney_99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:29 PM »
Went Saturday evening. Zero Fish. Used a flasher and jig poles. Not a bite. Never even marked a smelt. I think they have bigger things to worry about then getting back on the ice this year. The five shacks around us had a total of 3 smelts. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it might be time to make some serious changes to the smelt fishing regulations. I know that there are peoples' livelihoods on the line but something has to change. The numbers just aren't  there any more.

Just my 2 cents....
TK
Can't catch em on your couch.

Offline Cnorkun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Yeah - I'm new to the smelt game, but see pictures of guys with more than a gallon of smelt.

The "On the Water" fishing report 2 weeks ago featured a picture on the Massachusetts report of someone who had an insane amount of smelt.

I dunno.  I guess if somebody fishes every day, a gallon per day can look like a lot and marine biologists must know what people take out per year, right?

On a similar note, I feel the same about Crappie and Yellow Perch.  I've harvested 10 jumbo yellows this week and all 15 were loaded with roe.  That's 10 less females broadcasting their eggs in that reservoir.  I checked-in with a party of young kids on my way out and they were harvesting jumbo yellows too.  Just between me and their party in one day...I took 10.  Their group of 6 guys had a pile each and apparently they fish that reservoir hard and often...That reservoir doesn't fish as well for me as it did six years ago...but is that because conditions and patterns are different last weekend, am I mis-remembering, or is it over-harvesting? 

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:09 PM »
Last years smelt run was very good, after several years of poor fishing. I had numerous trips to my shack and we got limits with whoever I fished with.
I don't believe there is a shortage of smelts. BEE has lived in Brunswick for many years and attributes the poor fishing to excessive fresh water in the rivers right now. Earlier he saw good catches in the lower Andro. Time will tell, if the darn rain would stop.
This morning I noticed that Worthing has removed the 3 or 4 camps he had on. That big cutter will move some ice.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:38 PM »
The Coast Guard icebreakers can only go up the Kennebec as far as the Gardiner-Randolph bridge. Worthing's is upstream of the bridge and won't be affected. Jim's and Riverbend are on the Cathance River and Leighton's is on the Abagadassett and won't be affected. James Eddy is on the Eastern river when the icebreakers can't go. Baker's is the only smelt outfitter who will be affected by the icebreakers. The smelting season is not over. There's one less place to go.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:58 PM »
So you think bakers is done?  I'm going up the end of next week and I had one reserved. 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Worthing's Will be effected if the dam lets go fast. and if we get more rain, things up stream will be greatly effected.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:02 AM »
they should stop the spring netting of smelt and elvers

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:22 AM »
they should stop the spring netting of smelt and elvers
Havn't been able to spring net river smelts in like 4 years in a lot of areas
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:49 PM »
I just called and they are back on the ice  doing quite well from what I'm told.  I have the incoming on the 24th
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline BFD5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:07 AM »
I fished the outgoing at Baker's Saturday, the 3rd.  It was a slow steady bite, we caught about 40.  I was the only one with a ultralite rod, so I caught most of the fish (probably 30) with a sabiki.  The one with the red and green glow in the dark wrapped hooks.  Caught a few on the house lines.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2018, 12:37 AM »
how is the current at Bakers?
is 1 oz weight enough? too much? too light? I use 8# mono on my lines

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2018, 12:43 AM »
anyone know if they are biting better on the incoming vs the outgoing?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:40 AM »
Good action on the outgoing when I was there this past weekend, don't know about incoming.  An ounce seems like a lot, my most productive rig had a 50mm Hali at the bottom for weight, which is 7/16oz., and that seemed perfect.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.