The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ok to Fish??  (Read 1373 times)

Offline RB

• IceShanty Rookie
Ok to Fish??
« on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:54 AM »
I’m recently retired and new to Maine. Is it acceptable to fish near someone’s bob house when no one is there? Lucky me I get to fish during the week and have never seen anyone there. Where I come from bob houses are rare and it’s first to set in gets the spot

Thanks

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Re: Ok to Fish??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:08 AM »
I’d say if you’re there first it’s all yours. At the same time personally I won’t set up too close to someone’s shack cuz more likely than not the shack owner will stroll in around 8 am and drill holes all around you like he owns the place. Just my 2 cents. 

Offline Kolt45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:02 AM »
I’d say if you’re there first it’s all yours. At the same time personally I won’t set up too close to someone’s shack cuz more likely than not the shack owner will stroll in around 8 am and drill holes all around you like he owns the place. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed, nothing morally wrong with setting up close to someones shack as long as your prepared to be the bigger person and move if the shack owner shows up.

nbourque, that 8" Nils you sold to me has earned its keep- Im loving that thing. Hope you've been having a good season

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:42 AM »
I wouldn’t want to be within 100 ft at least from a shack with a hole. I have used them for cover from wind before, and had owners show up without issue.

If you drill a hole near someone’s shack, and it floods his area, or opens up into a bigger hole then skims back over with the owner unaware the owner could be pretty PO’d, or worse.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2018, 01:03 PM »
They own the shack they don't own the lake. No one there the ice is yours
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Agreed, nothing morally wrong with setting up close to someones shack as long as your prepared to be the bigger person and move if the shack owner shows up.

nbourque, that 8" Nils you sold to me has earned its keep- Im loving that thing. Hope you've been having a good season

Good to hear.

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2018, 03:01 PM »
They own the shack they don't own the lake. No one there the ice is yours

X2

Offline RB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Thanks for all the good opinions, set in there yesterday morning for a couple hours, iced a couple nice brookies

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.