The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ion Auger  (Read 1527 times)

Offline RXMAINE

• IceShanty Rookie
Ion Auger
« on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:45 PM »
I purchased a ion X auger last year and it came with a 8" drill and it worked very good. With the cold weather the hole freezes in so much i purchased the 10'drill. The 10" drill it keeps building up slush and will not cut unless you clean out the slush and  it takes for ever to drill 10 holes like that . Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks
Semper Fi

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Re: Ion Auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:12 PM »
I’m pretty sure any of the electric augers operate like you describe especially with a 10” bit.

Offline Fishingfool_2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:13 PM »
I picked up a Teflon spray at Mardens a few years ago that worked well on my Jiffy without leaving any film in the hole. It's gone and I don't remember the brand. You might try this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-Non-Stick-Polymer-Coating-70709000/204494302
Herb

:icefish:

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:38 PM »
After using a 10" auger for 10 or more years . I wish I had of stayed with an Eight" with foam covers . 10" are very dangerous when covered with snow .Have seen several fishermen hurt there leg or foot over the years .a 6" is big enough for any fish in Maine .10" gives a big fish a chance to turn up in the hole .I have lost a couple of big fish just as his head poked in sight.

Offline RXMAINE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:58 PM »
Thanks for your comments, i will try the Snow Jet
Semper Fi

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:01 PM »
A guy on the nh thread was having the same problem with the 10" as your having. The slush would freeze and make it impossible to cut. When I use mine after i drill a hole and pull her out I keep it going a couple of rotations to keep the crap off.

Offline RXMAINE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:05 PM »
It builds up while I am drilling and then it won't cut any more
Semper Fi

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:12 PM »
It builds up while I am drilling and then it won't cut any more

Call ion. The first batch of X augers had a problem with the casting on the bottom of the augers.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:24 PM »
i have a strike master lithium lazer 10in. i got last yr.  and it doesn't do that. claims 56 holes in 24in of ice w/ 10in. bit. ion wasn't designed for the 10in. bit. they sell it but don't offer it in their line. heard strikemasters new 40v electric is even better than my model. cold doesnt effect the batteries these as much as the older ions.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:44 PM »
I'll give a report on the new 8" 40v Strikemaster very soon. Mine will be drilling its first holes tomorrow. I'm anxious to compare it to the Ion.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:19 PM »
wish i knew they were coming out with this improved version. i like mine but this one seems even better.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:22 PM »
A guy on the nh thread was having the same problem with the 10" as your having. The slush would freeze and make it impossible to cut. When I use mine after i drill a hole and pull her out I keep it going a couple of rotations to keep the crap off.
i do the same. even when i had a gas auger. spins the slush off before it freezes!

Offline whitefishlover

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:56 AM »
i have a strike master lithium lazer 10in. i got last yr.  and it doesn't do that. claims 56 holes in 24in of ice w/ 10in. bit. ion wasn't designed for the 10in. bit. they sell it but don't offer it in their line. heard strikemasters new 40v electric is even better than my model. cold doesnt effect the batteries these as much as the older ions.

I am DESPERATELY trying to find a 10".  Tried Scheels stores in Indiana, online, everywhere.  Apparently they are awesome and are completely sold out!!  I did a lot of research and Strikemaster seems to be on top.  I will wait until next year I guess, but am still looking.  The bummer is, this year they were selling them with an additional battery.  All for under $600.  :(
"A bad day of fishin' is much  better than a good day of work" :)

Offline Huntermike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2018, 11:35 AM »
I have the ion X 10inch an it cuts great ,any auger will just spin if the point has frozen slush on it just need to keep them cleaned off ,I drilled 30 holes with mine an it was -17 degrees that morning an only lost a third of the battery that day.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Thanks for your comments, i will try the Snow Jet

did the snow jet pray work?

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:16 PM »
W.D 40 is supposed to be fish oil . Maybe if one sprayed his auger before using it would keep off slush ,ice build up. and chum all the fish in the lake to start.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:43 PM »
I am DESPERATELY trying to find a 10".  Tried Scheels stores in Indiana, online, everywhere.  Apparently they are awesome and are completely sold out!!  I did a lot of research and Strikemaster seems to be on top.  I will wait until next year I guess, but am still looking.  The bummer is, this year they were selling them with an additional battery.  All for under $600.  :(

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=355021.0

That’s from the NH board, but seems like it may be worth calling Dags.

Offline RXMAINE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:21 PM »
I have not tied the spray yet hope to get out this coming week end a try it before I head to Lobster on Feb 1
Semper Fi

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:47 AM »
gonna try the spray this weekend as well,  last weekend my 10in IonX  iced up as well,  pretty frustrating  my Jiffy 10in never iced up like that.... 

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:30 AM »
try getting a piece of hardwood, like a hatchet handle or piece of handrail. good to whack off ice without damaging the bit.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:16 AM »
Also try peeing on the blades, that's worked for me with my chipper-style blades on my auger.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:22 AM »
I take a Coleman single-burner gas stove with me and use it to melt the ice off the auger blades. It's small, light and you can also heat water for coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or cook hotdogs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.