The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: K Drill Review  (Read 7574 times)

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
K Drill Review
« on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:03 PM »
Got to try out my new K Drill yesterday for the 1st time. 8" with the Milwaukee  drill they recommend, no Clam Plate (glad I didn't waste money on that)
Got it at Sebago Bait, cheapest price I could find, Thanks Wayne.
This thing works awesome, easily cuts as fast as my old 9" Jiffy. Only cut 10 or so holes so I can't say much about battery life. I see absolutely no need for a clam plate. If you hold it like you know what you're doing ,I can't see any issues. This is going to save my shoulders a lot of pain for sure. I was able to downsize my Jetsled size and I have a good cordless drill for the off season.
We'll see how it holds up in the long run, but first impression is 5 Star for sure.

Offline on-ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: K Drill Review
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:28 PM »
If you're not going to buy a Clam Plate, just be careful your gloves (or coat if you're bracing it against your body) aren't covering the vents on your drill while drilling. Buddy of mine smoked his drill doing that, literally.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:47 PM »
If you're not going to buy a Clam Plate, just be careful your gloves (or coat if you're bracing it against your body) aren't covering the vents on your drill while drilling. Buddy of mine smoked his drill doing that, literally.

Never thought of that, good advice.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:03 PM »
Clam Plate is the best safety and extended life tool you could get. It protects you and keeps you drill up out of the snow and slush.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline icefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:35 PM »
c
Clam plate all the way. :thumbsup:

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:27 AM »
I didn't use the clam plate last year, and didn't really need it to drill with.  However, I bought one this year so I could set the darn thing down on the ice without setting the drill in the slush.  I was always trying to figure out where to set it so that it wouldn't fall over, and while I was careful kids/buddies aren't always quite so reliable.  Thanks Sebago Bait, great place to do business with.

I just really love the Kdrill setup.  It is so light and fast to use, my buddies are always struggling with their ice auger, while I have all my holes in. 

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:55 PM »
It's easy not to keep the drill on the ice i drill down half way into the ice and leave the drill up in the air
Go big or go home

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Thanks so much for your business, MUCH APPRECIATED. They are a great unit and I have never heard anyone complain about them. I have been using one for 2 years now. At this time we have (11) K Drills $235.99 left out of 48. Clam plates we have (6) left $67.99 and (7) of the adapters $16.00 for the K Drill. We are trying to get more of (all 3) but they are sold out everywhere from the distributors. About 10-12 lbs with clam plate and drill attached. Mine is usually at the shop to show people if interested.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:46 PM »
. 8" with the Milwaukee  drill they recommend,
What did they recommend? Bought 1 last year. Like the auger, but the 18v did have some struggles. Upgraded to a new Kobolt 24v. Haven’t had a chance to try it yet. Hoping for better results.

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:01 PM »
I have the 24v Kobalt i run a 6 inch nils and it works flawlessly.  Would really like the Kdrill though so i can make double holes so let me know how the drill does.

Offline tilted

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:51 PM »
I have the 24v Kobalt i run a 6 inch nils and it works flawlessly.  Would really like the Kdrill though so i can make double holes so let me know how the drill does. Which lovely do you have? The 24v hammer drill?
Burn Baby Burn!!!!

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:03 AM »
What did they recommend? Bought 1 last year. Like the auger, but the 18v did have some struggles. Upgraded to a new Kobolt 24v. Haven’t had a chance to try it yet. Hoping for better results.

Milwaukee 2704-22

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:39 AM »
That is the same milwaukee drill I used.  It is their heavy duty/expensive drill, but I never had any issues using it.  The 24v off brands may work just fine, but it is hard to beat Milwaukee or Dewalt.

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:56 AM »
i have the hammer 24 v has about 700 pounds of torque

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:19 AM »
The M18 FUEL™ Hammer Drill  is the Most Powerful 18-volt cordless drill on the market. The POWERSTATE™ Brushless Motor delivers up to 1,200 in-lbs of torque and up to 2,000 RPM

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Does it drill better on the hammer setting?
Thanks

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Does it drill better on the hammer setting?
Thanks
.         Do not use on hammer setting!!

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2018, 12:03 PM »
.         Do not use on hammer setting!!
Thanks

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2018, 12:15 PM »
It's easy not to keep the drill on the ice i drill down half way into the ice and leave the drill up in the air

X2
MA

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:23 PM »
Just an update after using it again today. I cut 30 holes through ~12" of ice on 1 battery. I'm pretty satisfied with that.
I still don't see the need for a Clam plate. I get it, makes it easier to set down on the ice, but my sled is always right there for me, I just sit it on the sled. As far a being safer... Maybe, but with the side handle that comes with the drill you have plenty of leverage to hold it, and it doesn't really grab when you're going through. I could see it being an issue if you weren't using the side handle.
And my shoulders aren't killing me from drilling 40 or so holes today like they would be with the old Jiffy. I've downsized the size of my sled, I can easily pick the whole shebang up and put it in the back of the truck, even with a bucket of fish in the sled.
Overall, extremely happy, definitely changed my ice fishing.
Thanks again to Wayne at Sebago Bait.

Offline Sixguns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:18 PM »
After using mine again yesterday down at the House In The Woods derby, I can say...I do not miss cranking away on a gas auger.

We had 4 augers present with 4 fisherman. One Jiffy would not start, another Jiffy started good but then struggled to restart after it warmed up and then cooled. The Eskimo ran quite well and would start with approx. 5 pulls of the cord.

The K-drill was used by 3 of the fisherman to drill approx. 90% of the holes. It was nice to see the smiles and awakening of the others. My son-inlaw said it best as he was drilling his 2nd hole with it, his quote was "Holy crap is this thing slick, why would anyone ever buy as gas auger again after using one of these".

I am very pleased with both it and the Milwaukee drill. I have had it come out of the drill twice and that causes me concern and I hope to figure out how to avoid this trend as it does cause a moment of panic but is really a non issue and but a minor inconvenience.

Also bought mine at Sebago Bait after their video posting last season.
Sixguns
Sixguns

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Glad to hear you are enjoying them and they are working well. I used mine
on Sebago today and will be using it at the Moosehead Derby next weekend. 25 inches of ice up there off Rockwood. I haven't touched the propane auger in 2 years. They're really awesome little units. Thank you to both of you.
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:49 AM »
I spent Saturday on a very popular, big lake in NH and there is no more constant buzz of gas augers running. It's obvious they all have electrics.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:00 AM »
I have an Ion that im happy with. After watching 2 guys fish around me Saturday with K drills,I know what my next auger will be! K drills are awesome!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:41 AM »
Never see a k drill In my area !

Offline Frankr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Also, with a K drill - after you've drilled the hole. You can flush it clear by running the drill in reverse for a few seconds. Much easier than using a scoop.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:21 PM »
The biggest only makes a 7 inch hole ?

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:58 PM »
I have had it come out of the drill twice and that causes me concern and I hope to figure out how to avoid this trend as it does cause a moment of panic but is really a non issue and but a minor inconvenience.

Clamp plate fixes this problem, it is nice not having to constantly check the chuck is still tight.

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:04 PM »
??  Drill 2 holes side by side and get a 15" hole or so. I have done that often. Can't beat these drills, they're awesome!!
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:20 PM »
It's called an 8" but I haven't measured it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.