Author Topic: custom rods  (Read 2805 times)

Offline nelsonk44215

• IceShanty Rookie
custom rods
« on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:23 PM »
I am looking for the custom made ice fishing rods that were sold at JC's bait shop last year before they went out of business. they were being sold for $30. any information about them or where i can find them would be very helpful. thanks

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: custom rods
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:32 PM »
you talkin about one of these?

Offline Rufus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2006, 04:49 AM »
Nelson,
E-mail me and I will give you all the information you need on them. I am good friends with the gentleman that makes them. I even make them myself.

Offline nelsonk44215

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:10 AM »
Nelson,
E-mail me and I will give you all the information you need on them. I am good friends with the gentleman that makes them. I even make them myself.

What is your email address?

Offline nelsonk44215

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:11 AM »
Yes icedude. that looks like one of the rods

Offline Rufus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:45 PM »
I e-mailed you with all the information needed. Please let me know if you don't get the e-mail.

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:07 PM »
those look like 5' noodle rods?  What is the advantage to this rod?

wsj ;)
If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:20 PM »
wsj- those rods are about 3'. The advantage is that you dont need a spring bobber, and they will give your jig a nice smooth action that the fish cant resist. It will just sit there and rock in their face with very little effort. They will help you catch fish when other people are not. Another advantage is that it is made by hand right here in Indiana , instead of by a machine in China. ;D

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:05 PM »
Just how then with the wippyness of the rod do you set the hook?

Yes wsj sure does like that "made in Indiana" :D

wsj ;)

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2006, 10:15 PM »
you lift straight up and the fish will hook its self.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2006, 10:54 PM »
Is it ethical for me to take a St Croix ice rod and tear it up and modify it for style of fishing or am I just plain nuts for doing so?

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:12 PM »
what kind of modifying are you gonna do to it.

Offline Rufus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2006, 05:18 AM »
wsj,
Ice Dude is right. Once you get the hang of using these little beauties you will never, and I mean NEVER!, go fish hungry again. They are somewhat irrtitating at first, but if you stick with them you will be the guy that everyone is watching catch fish, while they are all wondering what the heck you are doing. My father-in-law and his ice fishing buddy taught me and I can tell you that I will never go back to a bobber, a spring bobber, or any other modification to an ice rod. I know several guys who are quite proficient with with spring bobbers, so don't let me say that this method is better, it just works a lot better for me. To use them properly you have to be a mobile fishermen also. The first thing we do when we get to the lake is drill about 30 holes. We then start at a foot above bottom and work up to about 5 or 6 foot all the while slowly pulsating and raisng that rod tip. If a bluegill or crappie even breathes on your bait you will see it. I have had many people ask how in the world do I get a hook in the fish with such a wimpy rod and I can say that it has never been a problem nor anything I have had to practice to learn to do. Just simply set the hook as usual with a sharp snap upwards. We normally use no. 12 and no. 14 moon glitters and a lot of hand tied ice flies and the only thing we use for bait is spikes. I have never been to a lake (including Fox) that the fish haven't eaten a spike. When the fishin' gets tough we go to what we call "no-baiters" which are no. 16 hand ties that seem to work very well.  God Bless and Good Fishin'!

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:42 AM »
I bought one last year, and I had no idea of what I got myself into. It was really my first year of ice fishing and I did very well using this pole. Simply will catch fish for you.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:30 AM »
You can make one of these rods your self. my buddy and I made up a dozen or so this year. We got the blanks at www.877icefish.com they also have the handles and the reels. If you decide to do this get the 31" blanks you have much less sanding to do. Taper the tip from  .040 for about the first 8" and then gradually get bigger (you can do this in a lathe or drill). It really doesn't take to long, and you can get the action you want because your making it!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2006, 12:30 PM »
Do you paint the rod tip?  It seems from the picture a differant color.

wsj ;)

Offline Rufus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2006, 12:46 PM »
Yes, usually orange or bright chartruese works well. You can fisnd this paint at a few bait stores and at craft shops.

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2006, 12:48 PM »
i wrap mine with the same floresent thread i tye the eyelets on with.

Offline Twoholes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2006, 02:27 PM »
You can make one of these rods your self. my buddy and I made up a dozen or so this year. We got the blanks at www.877icefish.com they also have the handles and the reels. If you decide to do this get the 31" blanks you have much less sanding to do. Taper the tip from  .040 for about the first 8" and then gradually get bigger (you can do this in a lathe or drill). It really doesn't take to long, and you can get the action you want because your making it!

www.877icefish.com

Went to this site and it is just a bunch of writing. No links to anything. Maybe they are working on the site???

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2006, 02:56 PM »
The information is there.  However, the sight is poorly laid out.

You can find rod building components here.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.