Author Topic: Maizo Channel/Wolf Lake  (Read 3295 times)

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Maizo Channel/Wolf Lake
« on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:52 PM »
Saw some crappies being caught today. Didn't fish, went to Lake Michigan perch fishing. All I could think about was ice-fishing!! Perch bite was SLOW!! There were a few boats out on the BIG LAKE, didn't hear of any outstanding catches though. I'm going back to the channel on Friday for an all out crappie assault. Where's the arctic blast? Open water fishing in January just doesn't cut it for me. Hopefully we'll be back on hard water soon!! C-ya. Crappie Rob
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline RandyD

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Maizo Channel/Wolf Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2006, 01:39 PM »
Where were you fishing for the perch at??
Can't catch'em unless your out trying

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2006, 03:49 PM »
95th st., and Calumet Harbor. Crappie Rob

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2006, 03:57 PM »
Rob are you finding parking very easily at 95th street?
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:06 PM »
Seems that this year has been slow for the perch in the river.  Not sure why as it has always produced for wsj,,,, :o

wsj ;)
If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2006, 05:17 PM »
Isn't there usually a good after dark walleye bite in the Maizo Channel this time of year.  I've herd tell you go out after dark with a husky jerk, thunderstick, repala, or walley diver, and a fella can do pretty well on the eyes in the channel this time of year... Any word on that?
Carp

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2006, 08:27 PM »
I also heard they get them eyes up there in the channel,but I don't think I would eat anything out of that water.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2006, 02:26 AM »

Maizo Channel/Wolf Lake,
        Catch and release only.......  jhc

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:45 AM »
Have heard the same thing before, and have also tried it a few times casting late in evening, but have not had any l;uck so far.( not this yr, but in previous ones in spring )

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2006, 11:06 AM »
Hi Gang!
  Well killing time B4 I go out to loomis tonight.  I have been on the wolf and in years past done well on Eyes off the Island just south of the chanel.  There is a chanel just north of the island about 50 feet and the eyes feed there at night.  Minnows and spoon jigs did well.  I had to use a light 18 lb test steel leader cause those eyes have sharp teeth.  I vertical jigged there and stayed close to the bottom.  I have never caught crappie on the wolf that would be fun. andy way tight lines.  If you guys go let me know.  I work about 5 miles from there.  I carry my ice rods at all times in the winter and a hand auger.
   Be careful the ice there is thin and thick at spots use a spud and check it frequently.
  Da-Roc

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They're biting by that guy over there!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:53 AM »
Go to wolflakefishing.com for more reports too.    Pretty cool site for wolf lake info.......      take care   jp                Go Bears

Offline RandyD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:59 PM »
Saw some crappies being caught today. I'm going back to the channel on Friday for an all out crappie assault.   Crappie Rob

Did you make it out there??

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2006, 06:24 AM »
No I didn't!! I have no motivation for fishing at this particular time!! Open water fishing in January pi$$es me off!! Can't get on the ice, yet can't get a boat out either because of what ice is left. Well with temps in the upper 40's and more rain it looks like I'll be out in the boat before I'm back on the ice!! Are there any other pessimists out there who believe our ice-fishing season is done? C-ya. Crappie Rob

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2006, 07:05 AM »
No I didn't!! I have no motivation for fishing at this particular time!! Open water fishing in January pi$$es me off!! Can't get on the ice, yet can't get a boat out either because of what ice is left. Well with temps in the upper 40's and more rain it looks like I'll be out in the boat before I'm back on the ice!! Are there any other pessimists out there who believe our ice-fishing season is done? C-ya. Crappie Rob
I'm beginning to agree with you Rob!.
This stinks. Mbe between the 2 of us, we could take our boats, and some spuds, and clear out the junk from one of the local lakes...... ;D

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:40 AM »
Have faith brothers.... Ice surely is on it's way.... We will be fishing on Hard Water by January 25th if not sooner.  This  is just a cruel joke that mother nature pulls on us mid-west ice anglers to test our faith.  We will be walking on water again soon..... I Believe!!! ;D
Carp

Offline RandyD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:56 PM »
Have faith brothers.... Ice surely is on it's way.... We will be fishing on Hard Water by January 25th if not sooner.  This  is just a cruel joke that mother nature pulls on us mid-west ice anglers to test our faith.  We will be walking on water again soon..... I Believe!!! ;D

I hope your right

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2006, 11:59 PM »
Hey Carp, good hearing from you!! I wonder how the DOC's doing up on Lake of the Woods and Upper Red? I'm glad you have some faith, because mine is completely shot!! I'll buy you an Adult Beverage if you're correct!! The weekly forecast doesn't look to promising!!! Arctic Blast..... Anyone!! C'mon Now, C-ya. Crappie Rob

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:07 PM »

Keep the faith guys,there is noway this weather can stay this warm,in Jan. and Feb.
       I must admit,I've been looking at my boat a little more these days.
       I believe it will come ....... hang in there.......  jhc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.