Author Topic: im gona try it  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
im gona try it
« on: Dec 05, 2013, 06:50 PM »
last year in the search for big bull bluegill we tried out a park pond not far from the house fished it for 20 minutes and caught half a dozen dink blue'gs and 2 cats the big one was almost 4lbs and the little guy was about 3lbs.  the pond is only an acre and a half and its a big horseshoe for the most part there's a big hill on the north side leading down to it and 20ft out from that is the deep water about 18'.  my question is whats the best way to go about it we had waxies and were jigging last time which we will be doing but i was gona put out two tip ups and i didnt want to load them with waxies because of all the little blue'gs swimming around thought about shrimp or cheese or hotdogs what do you think what should i do

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: im gona try it
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2013, 04:18 PM »
A piece of chicken liver on a glow jig hung under a bobber.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Crawlers, minnows, a piece of chunk bait,  or one of those gills and go for the big cat!!!  ;D

Offline jiggaray

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:34 AM »
I live on the Delaware river some of the eddies freeze over I get cats on worms and fresh cut bait rock bass, gills, pike shiners cut keep it fresh

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2013, 12:08 AM »
catch half a dozen small gills and fillet 'em out. i've found that the best bait for catfish is fresh cutbait, and the best cutbait is the most common forage that the cats have. in your case, bluegills. the head will catch a fish too, so don't toss it.

as for rigging, i suggest a heavy jig and then tie a short leader a foot or two above it and tie on a wide-gap hook. size 2 would probably work. (my catfish are smaller, so use what you feel comfortable with). this rig will let you try two different baits as well as two different depths. check your local regs first though, some places limit the number of hooks per line.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Thanks guys just finished our deer season Sunday with 12 big nannys and a couple yearlings took two for canning.  We had a cold snap like no other Saturday and if its got more than 15 degrees since Friday night then I was already too cold to notice I will be fishing Friday morning sun up till noonish and I'll hopefully have some pics of nice ice cats thanks again

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2013, 12:58 PM »
Welp tried it caught 3 the big one was 2 1/2lbs best part about it was I had a buddy with that was a first timer and hes wanting to go back tonight! Other good note is I made an automatic fisherman with help from some postings on here and it caught 2 of the 3 so I was happy I ended up just using crawlers on a #8 octopus with a split shot on top having the camera wasn't that usefull but my buddys eyes when the first cats came through was worth having it along

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.