The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Rochester, MN area  (Read 6822 times)

Offline Blister

• IceShanty Rookie
Rochester, MN area
« on: Nov 14, 2006, 03:13 PM »
I am a new member to IS, and a recent transplant to the Rochester area. It appears that I have moved into one of the only counties in MN without any lakes in it. Can anyone clue me into any area lakes where I can go to sink my hook into some walleye, and or panfish??? Thanks.....
I spent my kids college tuition on a fish house...=)

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Rochester, MN area
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:25 PM »
I'd head East over to Winona and head over to Westend Bait Shop.  They should be able to give you some pointers to help get you started. 

Offline canoesota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Got my mojo working"
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:36 PM »
There are lots of lakes between Faribault and Mankato.Not too far for you to drive.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2006, 11:43 PM »
A buddy of mine use to live in rochester.  Moved cuz there was no fishing!  ;) I know he use to do perty good on pepin lake for eyes and white bass, not sure how far that is from ya.  I don't think he did much ice fishing on it, mostly open water, but i'm sure they're still in there when the water gets hard

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:04 AM »
yeah not much for icefishing in Roch. theres 3 lakes in Winona which are shallow. Lake Pepin is part of the Miss river I do believe. Roch is a perfect place if your a trout fisherman plenty of streams in the area with some nice fish to be had :) There is also Albert Lea Lake/Fountain Lake. within 45 mins Albert Lea Lake is shallow but holds an excelent Population of Walleye and some very nice Crappie as well.  Theres a few lakes within an hours drive but not much from what I can remember

Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:10 AM »
Ya might wanna stay outta pikeguy's area, he's been known to get a little  :cookoo: if ya get too close!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Blister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2006, 04:36 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. I will definitely try to get out to several of these lakes this winter and see which one I like best. I will be trying the Fairbault area for sure, but am unsure of Pepin.  :-\ Does anyone know if Pepin freezes over? Thanks again.... :thumbsup:
I spent my kids college tuition on a fish house...=)

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2006, 07:06 AM »
Blister

There are lakes in and around Rochester - just not any natural ones......

Lets see.....

Zumbro - impoundment - built in the '20's - about 4K acres - LMB, SMB, Pannies, NP, Channel Cats. Have fished it in the summer, never in the
winter - ice can be tricky - there are reports of snowmobiles/wheelers dropping thru each winter. The public access is
up by the dam (current area). Those that ice fish it usually get on elsewhere. Reports I've seen about Zumbro and the ice indicate
some some very respectable fish come out of it. NW of Roch about 15-20 miles.

Foster Arrends - gravel pit lake - about 30+/- acres  - in a City Park off 37th St. 2 story fisherie - warm water (bass, pannies) and
cold water (stocked rainbows). Foster is spring fed - so you need to pay attention to ice conditions - NE corner is one area where
there are springs - when in doubt - use your chisel. Foster is walk in only. DNR puts trout in there - sometimes there are some real pigs (brood hens) that come out the the Lanesboro hatchery. Watched a boy of about 11 tie in to a 24"er one night - that was a treat just to watch. You got to have a trout stamp to keep a trout - daily limit is 3 and I think only 1 over 16" - check the book. Pannies tend to be small - bass can be respectable. Foster gets pounded hard - especially during the holidays. Foster used to be privately owned - many years ago - there were walleye in there - but 90-95+% are now gone, but it seems like each year, a rumor goes around about a walleye caught out of FOster - some swear the rumors are true, others say no.

Gamehaven - aka Boy Scout Lk - aka the long walk - am guessing about 90 acres. Gamehaven was built in the early 90's as part of Rochester flood control. Its on land owned by the local Scout council. Its about a mile walk in - I've not toted my ice gear in - have done it in open water. Pannies can be very nice, as are the bass. Open water sees shore line activity. Located SE of town, off Hwy 63 S - in the area of the
new interchange - but you can't see it from 63.

Willow Creek - another flood control reservoir - about 60 acres out by the airport. Bass, pannies, channel cats. Willow made quite a reputation for itself a couple years ago - it was pumping out some really nice gills, and it got pounded. Word spread far and wide, fish were hauled out of there by the bucket load. Fished it once last winter - caught some nice 'gills - but had to work for them. There was a spot of open water out
there too - so tote that chisel. Willow Creek is fed by Willow Crk - so there can be current. Willow sees mostly shore fishing in the summer - although there is a carry in ramp there (electric only) - also has a fishing pier. Lots of winter use.

KR7 - another reservoir - just opened this fall - was written up in the Post Bulletin. Not fished this. Located off W Circle Drive by Cty 4. Mostly
a pannie lake - word is crappie, gills perch. KR7 is small - its going to be fished out in no-time if people do to it what they did to Willow. Depth is reported to be 7-10'.

Country Club Manor pits - these are old gravel pits that have filled w/ water - between Hwy 14 and 2nd St SW W of Hwy 52. One, called Cascade Lk, I've fished. Gets activity winter and summer. Access can be an issue. I know a property owner (residential area) - so that is my access. The city of Rocheter has a long range plan for a park developement in that area - but am unsure of the time frame. There is a public right of way to one of the pit lakes - walk in - but the issue is parking (lack of) in that area.

Silver Lk - right down town - reservoir - for the Silver Lk Power plant - usually open water all year long due to the power plant and the
geese. OK for C&R, but I wouldn't eat stuff out of it.

Silver Creek - flood control - posted. NE of Rochester. This is a issue of contention w/ area fisherman and residents. The township which
its located in doesn't want the traffic and the trash issues (fisherman are pigs - I can't tell you how many bags of trash I pick up each winter/summer). There is no public access - other than walking on a feeder creek - and the township has has no parking signs on the
road. Last couple winters, the county has had a deputy out there enforcing the signs and tresspassing. It ain't worth the hassle. Reported to
be NP, LMB, pannies. This one was not stocked by DNR, so how the fish got there is unknown - possibly "midnight stocking".

Chester Woods - aka Bear Creek - another flood control reservoir - about 100+/- acres, in Chester Woods Cty Park - Hwy 14 E. This is a nice puddle, but its pay to play - personal issue of contention for me - you pay the same fee to fish as if you went to swim, camp, etc. Mostly I go elsewhere. Managed by DNR as a pannie lake - as in large 'gills. Has a winter slot and smaller bag limit. Has a ramp, but it electric only
only for boats. Have fished it - has standing timber - much like southern reservoirs do. 5-6 years back - it was Chester that was pumping out the gills.

Lk George - a gravel pit lake - totally private land ownership around it. W of Hwy 52 by Apache Mall. You need to know some one to get on this one. Reported to contain nice fish. I don't know anyone. :(

Mayowood Lk - don't bother - mostly filled in w/ silt from the Zumbro - very shallow.

If you want the latest skinny on whats doing in the Rochester area - head up Hwy 63 N past the Shop-KO N store. Look on your right - there is a small blue tackle shop (right about when the 4 lane drop to 2). That is HOF (Hooked on Fishing). Owned by Mike Smith - a hard core fisherman. He has the local knowledge of what works, and the tackle. A very good rod builder named Mike Fisher also works out of there. They can fix you up w/ the latest info, bait etc. Tell them Uncle Grump says "hi".

Walleyes - its the river (little knowlege of them / that area) or Faribault area. There is a "walleye club" in the Rochester area. They can be found on the web - DAGS "walleye searchers".

FYI - Pepin usually freezes over - but I can't tell you more than that. I would suggest you check a Lk City or Wabasha bait shop for
the latest conditions before heading that way. Have fished the back waters - but don't know the area well.

I think I got them all - Hope this helps.

UG

PS: I should add that with the exception of LK Zumbro - this is all small water and walk on - no trucks, wheelers, snowmobiles, etc.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2006, 07:11 AM »
wow, talk about a detailed post!!  it's good to see a guy that isn't unwilling to give up a few spots to a newbie

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.