The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Marcum Flasher Problem  (Read 3613 times)

Offline MnGopher1

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum Flasher Problem
« on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:05 PM »
Hello all, 
I recently encountered a problem with my lx-3tc and wanted to share my experience as there isn't much info available on the topic.  I bought the flasher unit new about 3 years ago, and it worked flawlessly, until one day it wouldn't find bottom.  It wouldn't show bottom but still would show lures and fish with the gain cranked to around 6.  It seemed to be operating normally with no abnormal sounds or other symptoms except no bottom.  I could watch a lure descend then vanish 1-2' from bottom.   I usually run the gain around 2-4 so I immediately knew something was wrong internally.   I sent in the flasher for repair and about 10 days got confirmation about the severity of the problem.  Here are the notes from the technician:
Replaced failed T1 component on mother board due to no signal. Replaced motor and motor brushes. 
I'm happy to report that the flasher is fixed, but am anxious about the durability of these units.  Hope someone finds this useful, happy fishing.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Marcum Flasher Problem
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:28 PM »
why would they replace motor brushes if they replaced the motor. the motor has new brushes in a new motor. sounds off.

get your self a digital sonar and leave these outdated mechanical sonars on the shelves. all motors burn out, some faster than others. depends on how many hours. like light bulbs or cd players or led, things have a life expectancy to them.
i had to have my humminbird ice-55 motor replaced. i see others do too and vexilars do too.

thanks for the share!

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marcum Flasher Problem
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2017, 11:35 PM »
I have an LX-5 and it in for it's third repair as I write this! It is only around 3 years old. First it was the motor, then the transducer, and now it's probably the motor again as the screen went completely blank and made a loud, continuous beeping noise. Like anything, you sometimes get a lemon and I got one! I now use my Humminbird graph that I can also use on my boat and really enjoy the graph mode versus flasher mode. The Marcum is now my backup unit or for someone to borrow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.