The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Red lake resorts  (Read 1675 times)

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Red lake resorts
« on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:27 PM »
Looking for people's opinions on resorts for Upper Red Lake. Looking for options for sleep on shore and sleep on ice. Thanks
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Red lake resorts
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:33 PM »
Hillmans is highly not recommended, Cheap yeah but you get what you pay for.  West winds is nice

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:11 AM »
I was up there over New Years, stayed with Alpine Fish Houses. The sleepers were nice and the people running it were nice as well. Fishing was very slow (1 fish and 2 bites for 2 days between me and the wife). There were a lot of slow reports from that weekend. We moved around with the truck during the day with nothing to show. They aren't a resort on the lake and this year you would use Rogers Resort for lake access so we just had to pay the ice road fee

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:16 PM »
just returned from a weekend on the ice staying with Beacon Harbor out on the ice. very relaxing weekend in a very nice sleeper house with a t.v. and satellite. This end of the lake has less activity as they don't do road passes to the public after jan 1st I believe. fishing was moderate but we kept 12 and released/missed twice as many. one bonus jumbo perch. it's an annual trip for us and I like beacons over the crowded south shore as I also do that trip out of rogers with our own gear earlier in the season. they also have a strip motel with several rooms but can't speak to those, we've always stayed on the ice.

we are a self sufficient group for the most part but john's got a great crew. one of our guys commented that we might run out of ice and we would probably run back to the office to get some, before we got settled in completely the guy that brought us out had run to shore and returned with a bag. caught me off guard and I forgot to tip the guy. A 10 mile round trip for a bag of ice is the kind of service you'll find from john's crew.

if your looking to fish Beacon Harbor is tuff to beat. westind is just down the road too for a burger break or if your looking for more of a resort atmosphere. we always go back to Beacon's.

fieds

I think the other outfitter running out of Beacons is called "Outdoor Authority". I don't know anything about them other than they run out of Beacons so they must be top notch as well.

Offline icesheet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:04 PM »
I have only been up there three times and all were houses on the ice, twice with Portavilla and this year with Northwoods.

Portavilla we had good fishing on the first trip. The heater went out and they came and fixed it. For just buddies and I the house was good, a 7 or 8x16 or so but it wasn't very clean. I'm not a clean freak at all but for something that I am paying what I consider quite a bit of money per night/day to stay in the first house was not kept up with very well at all. The second trip, which was booked at the same time as the first, was in a bigger house and was newer and cleaner and fishing was terrible that time as it was everywhere on the lake from other I had spoke to.

This year with Northwoods we had their 4 man, a 7x16 and it worked well for all 4 of us. 2 of us left during the day mostly to go bounce around so space wasn't an issue. Another cold week and again an issue with the heater. The first night we ran a bug buddy heater to keep the house warm and the second when we actually called about it they fixed the heat issue and gave us a few 1 lb. propane tanks to make up for the propane of ours we had used the night before. Again slow fishing but that was most everywhere on the lake. Nice people and the younger guy working for the company was real helpful and suggestive of spots to go fish if we were out on our own for the day. I would return to here again.

I have read great things about Bear Paw outfitters/rental (something like that) on Red Lake and would try them next.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:53 PM »
Looking for people's opinions on resorts for Upper Red Lake. Looking for options for sleep on shore and sleep on ice. Thanks

Rogers....look into it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.