Author Topic: Metal Dog Sled  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Rodeo9ine

• IceShanty Rookie
Metal Dog Sled
« on: Nov 08, 2018, 12:50 AM »
Looking for any leads on where to get a metal dog/utility sled for ice fishing.  Ran into a guy using one at a lake in northern maine, and he had gotten it off craigslist.  It was handy because of the sides/seating are and the rear skis you could stand on.  It allowed for the (slow and safe) transportation of 4 people with a Indy 550.  I spend alot of time getting people into ice fishing, and getting them too and from the sites is the biggest challange with only having 2 sleds.  I've seen the one on amazon, and i'm looking for something a little more rugged than that, and it doesn't have to collapse.

luv2fish2

Re: Metal Dog Sled
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2018, 06:04 PM »
the steel ones usually sides fold in . best bet is craigslist

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2018, 06:20 PM »
Try dogpaddledesigns.com. Custom sleds.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2018, 10:32 PM »
Those metal dog sleds use to be popular in the 80's. I got rid of mine a few years back. They are just too heavy. Snowmobiles pull them fine til you get mired in the slush then they sink in like an anchor and the slush sticks to it like ticks on a hound. I don't mean to discourage you into not buying one but think about it before you do. I got a magnum jet sled that weighs 1/2 as much and can carry 3X more than my old dog sled. You could probably build a bench seat to transport people in it.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2018, 06:24 AM »
another thing about pulling anything onto the ice is how much snow it throws behind it. Before you get a dog sled, ride on or in one for a few miles so you will know how your passengers  react. It ain't a fun ride.

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2018, 07:53 AM »
I welded my own. It's slightly larger than the folding ones, with a 6 foot long sealed  plywood box and plastic ski runners. It's not nearly as heavy as described above. It's about the same weight as a similar sized otter and can fit more gear since the sides are taller. With solid sides and top it keeps the snow off my gear better than a plastic sled and soft cover. I minimize the risk of slush sticking to the bottom and thrown snow dust from the snowmachine by attaching a crazy carpet underneath the draw bar. For the long runs by snowmobile I make (up to 50km to some spots on remote lakes) I can travel much faster, carry more gear and it will never wear out. My otter is reserved for shorter trips when i walk in. Dogsleds aren't the best sled for everyone, but for my needs they work best.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2018, 03:04 PM »
Riding in a dog sled is a lot of fun, much less snow in the face than a jet sled because it is up on skis.  The person standing in the back has to be careful to lean in to turns though.  We have been using them for 10 years at our annual ice fishing trip to Maine, and can haul a ton of gear along with a person on the back of the dogsled, trying to transport people in a jet sled sucks.

Offline MXZ500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:53 PM »

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Here's mine hauling wood last winter.

Offline F.I.Sherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2018, 06:45 PM »
search how to build aluminum dog sled many great ideas

Offline Rex in OTZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2018, 01:45 AM »
Its fun reading this old thread.
Last spring my old icefishing sled was showing its age.
The bottom as leaky as a colander.
I bought a new plastic tub sled.
But I needed some runners.
But had none.
And my metal for fabricating a new sled hitch was under record levels of snow and ice.
So luckly I had a old busted Kimpex fold-a-sled missing the back and side, still the runners and hitch worked just fine.
Using a drill and some 1/4" stove bolts and large area washers I fastened the sled to my old folding sled.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:23 AM »
Have you tried Automatic Distributors?
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2019, 03:26 PM »
I welded my own. It's slightly larger than the folding ones, with a 6 foot long sealed  plywood box and plastic ski runners. It's not nearly as heavy as described above. It's about the same weight as a similar sized otter and can fit more gear since the sides are taller. With solid sides and top it keeps the snow off my gear better than a plastic sled and soft cover. I minimize the risk of slush sticking to the bottom and thrown snow dust from the snowmachine by attaching a crazy carpet underneath the draw bar. For the long runs by snowmobile I make (up to 50km to some spots on remote lakes) I can travel much faster, carry more gear and it will never wear out. My otter is reserved for shorter trips when i walk in. Dogsleds aren't the best sled for everyone, but for my needs they work best.
Happen to have a picture of this?

Offline Rex in OTZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2019, 10:34 PM »
Creative way to hitch to a plastic sled

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.